Paddy McFatty?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Paddy McFatty?

A Richmond supporting mate of mine reckons one of McCartin's problems is he is carrying a little too much excess weight for an AFL player of the modern game. Said he looked to be more in proportion with a full forward playing back in the 90s.

In all fairness, our number 1 draft pick does look a little like a pudgy version of the kid on the cover of MAD Magazine.

Perhaps a leaner Paddy would work better than a beefy paddy. Thoughts?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy McFatty?

Sainternist wrote:A Richmond supporting mate of mine reckons one of McCartin's problems is he is carrying a little too much excess weight for an AFL player of the modern game. Said he looked to be more in proportion with a full forward playing back in the 90s.

In all fairness, our number 1 draft pick does look a little like a pudgy version of the kid on the cover of MAD Magazine.

Well Richturd supporters are such keen students and observers of the game, are they not? If Richturd fans say that Paddys a lard arse then start ringing those alarm bells mate! :lol:
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Mon 07 Aug 2017 12:08am, edited 1 time in total.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:A Richmond supporting mate of mine reckons one of McCartin's problems is he is carrying a little too much excess weight for an AFL player of the modern game. Said he looked to be more in proportion with a full forward playing back in the 90s.

Thoughts????? Thoughts, disgraceful thread!!!!!

Hang your Head, right up there will the Billy Thread!!!!!

Too many Trolls on here!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:

Well Richturd supporters are such keen students and observers of the game, are they not? If Richturd fans say that the start ringing those alarm bells mate! :lol:
He's actually very astute and level-headed for a Richmond supporter. Quite the realist and is always skeptical when they get ahead of themselves. He'll tell it straight. Sometimes it's good to hear unbiased views from outside observers, Jiggster.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

Thoughts????? Thoughts, disgraceful thread!!!!!

Hang your Head, right up there will the Billy Thread!!!!!

Too many Trolls on here!!!!!
So I'm a troll for passing on an observation? Not sure how the suggestion of a player needing to drop a few pounds is suddenly an act of treason.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

Well Richturd supporters are such keen students and observers of the game, are they not? If Richturd fans say that the start ringing those alarm bells mate! :lol:
He's actually very astute and level-headed for a Richmond supporter. Quite the realist and is always skeptical when they get ahead of themselves. He'll tell it straight. Sometimes it's good to hear unbiased views from outside observers, Jiggster.
Fair comment mate. I just jumped in with the size nines! Fair comment my friend! ( AND colleague! :lol: ) have a great Monday Al!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Well for starters, listening to a Richmond Supporters is Trolling!!!!!

Automatic!!!!! ;-)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

But has he seen him recently- apparently with his current training regime is fining down a little

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

Good onya, Dave, old colleague! It'll be a magnificent Monday after the win. There'll be smart Alec remarks from the non-Sainter colleagues :D

Fair comment mate. I just jumped in with the size nines! Fair comment my friend! ( AND colleague! :lol: ) have a great Monday Al!
stonecold wrote:Well for starters, listening to a Richmond Supporters is Trolling!!!!!

Automatic!!!!! ;-)
It's safe to say our online animosity a few weeks ago is all water under the bridge. As someone said in a previous thread - I'm beginning to warm to you, Stonecold!

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

lol @ "fining"

I'd like to see it convert before too long

let's hope hope he is indeed "fining"
cos we're all getting a little impatient and frustrated over here :( :?:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

Good onya, Dave, old colleague! It'll be a magnificent Monday after the win. There'll be no putting with smart Alec remarks from the non-Sainter colleagues :D
stonecold wrote:Well for starters, listening to a Richmond Supporters is Trolling!!!!!

Automatic!!!!! ;-)
It's safe to say our online animosity a few weeks ago is all water under the bridge. As someone said in a previous thread - I'm beginning to warm to you, Stonecold!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

But has he seen him recently- apparently with his current training regime is fining down a little
Good to hear, Bratty. I'll take your inside rumours as being fairly reliable. Would be fantastic to see a new Patty come out firing after a fining down in 2018.
Last edited by Sainternist on Mon 07 Aug 2017 12:24am, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

Good onya, Dave, old colleague! It'll be a magnificent Monday after the win. There'll be no putting with smart Alec remarks from the non-Sainter colleagues :D

Let's hear it for the "quote" feature! :lol: :lol:

Automatic!!!!! ;-)

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

And, he has a PhD in physiology?

There is too many armchairs, and there's even more arms.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

HardSaint wrote:lol @ "fining"

I'd like to see it convert before too long

let's hope hope he is indeed "fining"
cos we're all getting a little impatient and frustrated over here :( :?:
Over where?

The kid just needs an even break. I find myself too often unhealthily pissed off with people who think they can sum up (and justifiably) write off careers of young fellas who haven't even had the chance to play 50 games.

What such arbitrary dismissals also display is a monumental lack of understanding of how difficult the modern game is to play. This is not decades ago where young key forwards got to lead straight up the middle of the ground in perpetually clear space, and have the pill delivered by someone who has no-one applying constant pressure.

When we got torched by the Dogs this year, even freakin' Paul Roos said the kid kept leading to all the right spots, but we didn't have a midfield able to either see him, or deliver to him.

And, Roos geuinely hates us (where do you think the Murphy-gate nonsense started, and why? Try Murphy's old man, John, getting into Roos' ear).

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Diabetes might cause issues with ability to exercise and weight management.
It's not as simple as cutting out processed foods and soft drinks.

There is a club nutritionist on staff, who would be getting feedback from the club doctor
about Paddy.
But yes, let's listen to a Tigers supporter.
It's like going to a taxi driver for advice on the economy, world peace and global warming.

It's all so simple.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ace
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Diabetes might cause issues with ability to exercise and weight management.
It's not as simple as cutting out processed foods and soft drinks.

There is a club nutritionist on staff, who would be getting feedback from the club doctor
about Paddy.
But yes, let's listen to a Tigers supporter.
It's like going to a taxi driver for advice on the economy, world peace and global warming.

It's all so simple.
Forget about Paddy's weight issue which is at least in part due to type 1 diabetes.
The real issue is how his type 1 diabetes makes him more prone to concussion and more severely.

If a player tore his hamstring as often as Paddy gets concussions you would all be thinking that player's career is finished but for some reason you all seem to think that miraculously Paddy is going to never have another concussion - wrong.
Paddy's concussions are far more frequent than Freeman's hamstrings.

If we ignore Paddy's welfare completely we still need to consider whether it is sensible to attempt to win a premiership relying on a guy who is likely to be concussed in at least one round of the finals.
I can hear you now, if only Paddy had not got concussed in the first quarter we would have won the Grand Final by a few goals instead of being beat by a point.
I will answer if we had played anyone else we would have won.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Concussion is a tricky issue and becoming harder. Club's duty of care etc.

No doubt Riewoldt will pass all the protocols this week after that nasty head knock. Otherwise he won't be playing?

Same should apply to Ben Brown of the Kangaroos and anyone else who copped a blow to the head at the weekend.

Paddy is treated somewhat differently because of his diabetes. Wrapped in cotton wool like some sort of invalid. I doubt he likes to be treated that way, though I do hear that diabetes adds to the severity of concussions. I'd like to see some science on that, but it may well be the case.

Any case ultimately I think it should be left up to the player whether they are right or not. It's their body and health on the line after all. So long as they know the risks.

Let's face it, concussions are an occupational hazard for footballers. You are never going to eradicate them and anyone wh takes the field will know that it is a possibility. We all face occupational hazards of some sort.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

You have mates that support Richmond?

stonecold
SS Life Member

Yes Nisty, no problem from my end, keep up the goodwork!!!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Most definitely.

The goss seems to be that the club has found it harder to manage the effects of his diabetes on his training and so it is taking him longer to gain the body and tank of an AFL player, but that he will get there.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I don't think think he is fat.
But I would like to see him lean up and start his career on a fwd flank.
Expecting a kid to come in to the AFL and 'crash packs' against mature hardened defenders is silly.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 07 Aug 2017 12:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

David-Lee
Club Player

Rubbish. I have never flown the Paddy flag but his fitness is purely at present a neurological issue. He has excellent skin folds. Go to a practice in the summer check the guys out. No one came in with any fat folds...no one. He could lose 5 kilos but why? He is 94 kilos presently according to the trainer and he is not overweight. His strengths are sitting in goal square with a sanger waiting for a high floater. He excels in this...so trying to make him Roo is wrong. I want him to be a brilliant forawrd. I dont think he will recover nuerologically but what do any of is really know?

Fat. Damn. Rubbish. Not a single saint is overweight. Not Carlisle not any of the big boys. Now on a finer point we here are the brain trust have been discussing Paddy in the backline. Could it work? Some say he lacks the speed but club tests say he is as fast or faster than Carlisle and Brown.

stonecold
SS Life Member

David-Lee wrote:Rubbish. I have never flown the Paddy flag but his fitness is purely at present a neurological issue. He has excellent skin folds. Go to a practice in the summer check the guys out. No one came in with any fat folds...no one. He could lose 5 kilos but why? He is 94 kilos presently according to the trainer and he is not overweight. His strengths are sitting in goal square with a sanger waiting for a high floater. He excels in this...so trying to make him Roo is wrong. I want him to be a brilliant forawrd. I dont think he will recover nuerologically but what do any of is really know?

Fat. Damn. Rubbish. Not a single saint is overweight. Not Carlisle not any of the big boys. Now on a finer point we here are the brain trust have been discussing Paddy in the backline. Could it work? Some say he lacks the speed but club tests say he is as fast or faster than Carlisle and Brown.
Good Post Bruce, well said!!!!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Who do we believe..someone's mate who is a Richmond supporter, or our fitness team at the club? I'll go the latter. If it wasn't for Paddy's concussion problems, I expect he would be playing senior footy now. I reckon Long is too skinny :D