Saints look to lock in Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Saints look to lock in Paddy

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/show-o ... 1501761912
IN A show of faith in the young key forward, St Kilda is looking at securing No.1 draft pick Paddy McCartin with a contract extension.

McCartin is contracted for 2018, but the Saints want to extend his contract in the coming weeks and will likely offer the 2014 no 1 draft pick a two-year extension that would commit him to the Saints until the end of 2020.

Club sources said a two-year offer appeared likely, but was not set in stone. But the Saints want to extend the contract and hope to step up talks with McCartin’s management soon.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints look to lock in Paddy

Excellent news the kids a vital piece of our team going forward.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

All or nothing now..

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

An extension like that would put the young lad's mind at ease, he can just address
all the issues by working with all of the club's medicos,
knowing he's safe and supported.

The club hasn't done this to shut down all those idiots like Pelican and other outsiders,
they are doing it for Paddy's welfare.
If it stops the noise, and it will, it's a great result but it wasn't the reason for extending the contract.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
St Lenny
Club Player

Good move, he has had a shocking run, but he will be an absolute gun.

David-Lee
Club Player

No
Last edited by David-Lee on Fri 04 Aug 2017 2:31am, edited 1 time in total.

David-Lee
Club Player

I really don't understand this type of decision. Unless contracts are essentially worthless and its a ruse to try and prop up Paddy's self confidence?

He is not capable physically at AFL level. What part of 6 concussions in 21 games can't we see?

Character and talent to spare but he lacks resilience. I said it in another post and was told what would I know....well the guy who scouted him agrees...https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/01/ ... x-insider/

takeaway
Club Player

David-Lee wrote:I really don't understand this type of decision. Unless contracts are essentially worthless and its a ruse to try and prop up Paddy's self confidence?

He is not capable physically at AFL level. What part of 6 concussions in 21 games can't we see?

Character and talent to spare but he lacks resilience. I said it in another post and was told what would I know....well the guy who scouted him agrees...https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/01/ ... x-insider/
The guy who, with others, was involved in drafting him, has not been at the club for years, so what would HE really know? Just a junk article really with no depth.
Extending his contract imo is a wise decision. He just needs a good run out it, and I agree an improved technique to protect his upper body. He has vastly improved his tank and strength and covers a lot more ground. I am still very excited by what Paddy can become as a player for the saints. A lot of young forwards take a while, ie Tom Hawkins, even Jesse Hogan hasn't really got going yet.

Some people are so negative.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Club knows more than we do.

I certainly hope so anyway.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Our club is not smart.
The club 'philosophy' is based on 'positive thinking' like that book the secret. They think if you 'imagine' some positive outcome that that makes it come true. Just saying 'he is going to be a gun' over and over won't make it true.

I'm just going to start imaging myself on my own island surrounded by models.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Our club is not smart.
The club 'philosophy' is based on 'positive thinking' like that book the secret. They think if you 'imagine' some positive outcome that that makes it come true. Just saying 'he is going to be a gun' over and over won't make it true.

Hopefully it has no internet access.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Our club baffles me at times. Why is this a positive move? It's about as positive as finding out you are HIV positive.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:

Our club baffles me at times. Why is this a positive move? It's about as positive as finding out you are HIV positive.
That might be a bit of a stretch.
But yeah, if a complete fail for 3 years gets you a contract extension....maybe it's time I made a come back

Nee!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:
The guy who, with others, was involved in drafting him, has not been at the club for years, so what would HE really know?
The guy you are referring to actually left before Paddy was drafted.

The guys that made to the decision to draft Paddy over Petracca are all still at the club.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

One can ponder all one wants on why the Saints are where they are at with Paddy. (Personally I just do not believe that our head recruiter is up to it, and their is too much emphasis on building a team rather than on just securing the best talent)

However given where we are the club needs to make the best of it, and one aspect of that is to not have Paddy's contract just expiring next year where another club can pounce if it chooses to.

It is much smarter to extend it now so that the club remains in a position where it can consider whether to retain or trade him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Really? I would love to know what data or knowledge this horse manure is based upon. Securing our position in relation to a number one draft pick to me is a smart move. Should it transpire at some point ion the future that a trade is imminent, you would have been the first cabbage screaming if the kid was about to be out of contract.

As for the source of the clubs strategic inspiration, if you're going to make s*** up, then maybe this is not the place for you......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

One can ponder all one wants on why the Saints are where they are at with Paddy. (Personally I just do not believe that our head recruiter is up to it, and their is too much emphasis on building a team rather than on just securing the best talent)

However given where we are the club needs to make the best of it, and one aspect of that is to not have Paddy's contract just expiring next year where another club can pounce if it chooses to.

It is much smarter to extend it now so that the club remains in a position where it can consider whether to retain or trade him.
I have to disagree that it is smarter to extend it now. It is silly. If he performs next year then absolutely but now? Why? He has shown very little, he really has. We have Battle and Marshall coming thru and we have Members and Bruce so we have options up forward, although they could be better granted, and Paddy is meant to play a different role to those but still we don't need him. We want him to become a gun absolutely, but need him, I disagree.

And which club is going to pounce on a heavily concussed, injury prone, unfit, under performing forward? Give him another pre season to get his body and mind right and see if he gets his act together. If he does awesome, extended then and pay him what he is worth, if not thank him for his time and wish him well.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

It's not as if we'll be paying him like Tom Boyd.

No doubt 2 years based on current history comes at a relatively nominal price; if all falls into place and he's up and about, then we've done a very good deal, whilst at the same time cultivating loyalty.

I agree with an all or nothing strategy. I still have every faith that he will recover and rebound. Don't let it be the Cats that he comes good for ...

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

True Believer wrote: the first cabbage screaming
Love it TB.

Always loyal
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:
True Believer wrote: the first cabbage screaming
Love it TB.
Do you still hear the cabbages screaming, Clarice?

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

Really? I would love to know what data or knowledge this horse manure is based upon. Securing our position in relation to a number one draft pick to me is a smart move. Should it transpire at some point ion the future that a trade is imminent, you would have been the first cabbage screaming if the kid was about to be out of contract.

As for the source of the clubs strategic inspiration, if you're going to make s*** up, then maybe this is not the place for you......
well said TB

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

I have to disagree that it is smarter to extend it now. It is silly. If he performs next year then absolutely but now? Why? He has shown very little, he really has. We have Battle and Marshall coming thru and we have Members and Bruce so we have options up forward, although they could be better granted, and Paddy is meant to play a different role to those but still we don't need him. We want him to become a gun absolutely, but need him, I disagree.

And which club is going to pounce on a heavily concussed, injury prone, unfit, under performing forward? Give him another pre season to get his body and mind right and see if he gets his act together. If he does awesome, extended then and pay him what he is worth, if not thank him for his time and wish him well.
Great idea wait until he has injury free season then let Collingwood or Richmond offer him a million a year and us have no power at all to retain him.

takeaway
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
takeaway wrote:
The guy who, with others, was involved in drafting him, has not been at the club for years, so what would HE really know?
The guy you are referring to actually left before Paddy was drafted.

The guys that made to the decision to draft Paddy over Petracca are all still at the club.
He left just before the draft, and of course was well aware of who the Saints were looking at. If we didn't draft Paddy, we probably would not be going for Kelly, as we would need another big forward, and they are very hard to obtain. Petracca is just another midfielder.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Great idea wait until he has injury free season then let Collingwood or Richmond offer him a million a year and us have no power at all to retain him.
and we let him go and he then fails in their team not ours. Or he becomes a gun. or he gets concussed again etc. Unless you have a crystal ball no one knows so it is a silly argument either way. Basically he has shown little so far. if we wait till mid next year we will know how go/bad he is. I hope he comes good, I really do but do you really want another b grade player clogging up our list for 3 years. We have enough of those at present.

supersaints
Club Player

I'm not a Paddy Wacker...... I think he will come good, I think we should lock him up for another two. Particularly now we know Rooo will not be going on

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!