Team v Eagles Riewoldt, Stevens in for McKenzie, Lonie.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StPeter
Club Player

Re: Team v Eagles

Marshall unlucky not to get another run after his promising debut but I guess he loses his place to Roo.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
bigred wrote:I feel for the kid, I really do. Has heaps of talent, just not the full package.

But it was just doing my head in for the last month.

Became my whipping boy and I fkn hate that.
Has all the ingredients for success except size. He can probably overcome that. Others have.

His finishing ability (shots for goal) is a worry, too, but he's not on his own there.
He also isn't very quick, struggles to stick tackles, gets caught too often and has a bad habit of playing for free kicks instead of going for the ball. I don't see a future in the AFL for him.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
silverhalo wrote:Keep White!!!!!
Yes!!!!!

Like your !!!!! ;-)
White will stay.

Let hope the ! Is banned from the forum.

(The symbol not poster)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Not that the selectors care, but how about some flair: interchange options include N. Wright 185cm still to recover from broken leg; Steele 187cm best known for his great run at Freo to pull off a goal saving tackle and disproportionate number of handballs, Weller 183cm last played a good game when - in the wings young talent Battle 190+cms and Marshall 201cm being apparently jerked around as: emergencies, in one game out another then even in and out in the same game. Are we so pleased with 9 wins that we must stick to the formulaic, perhaps there is there no faith in the youth, maybe their is some unwritten seniority criteria, maybe having a young 201cm forward/defender rather than a183cm trier so upsets our delicate running like a dream team set up that it is preposterous to even think it. Old chestnut, definition of insanity - keep doing the same and see if something changes. Excellent wins seem to be outliers for us. Percentage and so many lost opportunities are what, invalid indicators? I'd even be impressed if both Hickey and Longer played it would be a fresh approach. I'm confident Adam Simpson isn't spending too much time wondering which of any or if all of Weller, Wright or Steele play. By way of reference to Battle and Marshall who both show good stuff: I would like to think in hindsight Paddy would have been handle differently - not had so many games in the VFL bear pit (like would you run Winx on the sand in Darwin) and not have his debut a last minute call up in the wet in a 70 point flogging by Collingwood because the imperative was to let Nick have until an hour before to prove his fitness. Nick' is v. Important but doesn't mean we can't walk and chew gum. Are the selector's too risk averse I wonder. What is said to Battle and Marshall - your time will come but at the moment we think Nathan and Mav are better chances to win us games - but they won't be around forever, trust us.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
stonecold wrote:
silverhalo wrote:Keep White!!!!!
Yes!!!!!

Like your !!!!! ;-)
White will stay.

Let hope the ! Is banned from the forum.

(The symbol not poster)
Harsh on the explanation mark, don't think he breaks any rules!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
repta
Club Player

Saints caught in the "still could make it to September" mode.

They need to sort out the list for next year and give a few games to Lonie, Wright, McKenzie which all look like duds to me. Lets face it with our percentage we have stuff all chance of making it. Give some of the c graders a go to see if they have anything to offer. If not trade them.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

repta wrote:Saints caught in the "still could make it to September" mode.

They need to sort out the list for next year and give a few games to Lonie, Wright, McKenzie which all look like duds to me. Lets face it with our percentage we have stuff all chance of making it. Give some of the c graders a go to see if they have anything to offer. If not trade them.
Lonie had a few games so the club could assess.
He played poorly in them, so dropping him now indicates (to me anyway) that he's going to be delisted.
"Seen enough, next!"

Wright- 2nd Round pick, #24 overall, in the 2012 AFL Draft. Been in and out without really stepping up. 5 years.
D-Mack- #22 of the 2014 National Draft. Surely has skills, but seems to have gone backwards since late last year when he showed potential.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stonecold
SS Life Member

Lonie has had he's chances, finished!!!!!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda v WCoast
I/change; Steele, Stevens, White, Weller.
Emergencies; Hickey, Wright, McKenzie.
Riewoldt, Stevens in for McKenzie, Lonie.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Eagles Riewoldt, Stevens in for McKenzie, Lonie.

I hope Weller plays a good game this weekend. He needs to, to justify the selectors faith in him after so many poor games.

Wombat15
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
repta wrote:Saints caught in the "still could make it to September" mode.

Lonie had a few games so the club could assess.
He played poorly in them, so dropping him now indicates (to me anyway) that he's going to be delisted.
"Seen enough, next!"

Wright- 2nd Round pick, #24 overall, in the 2012 AFL Draft. Been in and out without really stepping up. 5 years.
D-Mack- #22 of the 2014 National Draft. Surely has skills, but seems to have gone backwards since late last year when he showed potential.
Only in this mode because we have to win this week. if we dont i think itd be best to get the kids out there. id still have a crack only due to roo announcing retirement i think they have to give it everything for the next month.

In terms of Lonie hes a good VFL player and not a shot at him i think the recruiters really f**ked up when they big upped Caleb Daniel who was outstanding in the carnival but then took lonie. that actually annoys me because having him and gresh wouldve been something special.
Wright i like due to his scrappiness and i thought he'd found a niche up forward but he cant play himself into a game. He was the perfect sub rule player.
Mackenzie can only go so far for being a trier and a tough nut. Composure is a massive issue for him. its like a deer i headlights and panics when he has the ball.

Also i know Acres is frustrating but is it worth playing him as a pure forward with with; Gresh, Acres, Billings, Membrey, Bruce, Roo/Paddy/Battle/Marshall.Or have i been missing something during his career? Seems to always play well near the sticks but is mindless the further away he gets.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Weller selected ahead of McKenzie is a joke. DMac played his guts out last week and was one of very few who took the game on, whereas like most of 2017, Mav went missing.

George27
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Weller selected ahead of McKenzie is a joke. DMac played his guts out last week and was one of very few who took the game on, whereas like most of 2017, Mav went missing.
I agree, a surprising decision.

Wombat15
Club Player

George27 wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Weller selected ahead of McKenzie is a joke. DMac played his guts out last week and was one of very few who took the game on, whereas like most of 2017, Mav went missing.
I get its weird, but its a massive catch 22. Cant keep dropping blokes in the leadership team (not a good look or reflection on the side) but Cant play him because hes not up to scratch ATM. Kinda stuck really.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Wombat15 wrote:
George27 wrote:
I get its weird, but its a massive catch 22. Cant keep dropping blokes in the leadership team (not a good look or reflection on the side) but Cant play him because hes not up to scratch ATM. Kinda stuck really.
Get off the fence Wombat!!!!! ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

To the top
SS Life Member

The assessment of Second Round Draft picks emphasises the importance of First Round Draft picks

You will get a Sam Fisher but that is rare indeed

So the rebuild is about First Round Draft picks, attracting players such as Carlisle and fingers crossed that a couple of later round Draft picks outperform the original assessment of them aka Sam Fisher as the example

Fisher was a mature age pick from West Adelaide where he was playing CHF at SANFL League level

The likes of Daniel had established at League level in the SANFL where each of Aish, Dumont and Fantasia had played in premiership sides ahead of being Drafted as 18 year olds

realdeal
Club Player

Opposition ruck watch.. Will Drew Petrie be BOG this game..!?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:
Yeah, the Weller love from the coach is really frustrating.

I don't want to write Mav off but he was really really bad and he excels at all the things that cost us games. Easily brushed off, doesn't get enough ball and misses set shots.

Should have gone before D-Mac

spert
Saintsational Legend

DMAc should have kept his place. I at least want to see Jack Steven start to attack the loose ball as hard as Dmac did last week.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Just gotta win thats all I want. These pr1cks got over the line last time here from dubious frees once again and that one Priddis got in the pocket for the softest free ever. I am sill angry about that game I wanted to kill someone.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

realdeal wrote:Opposition ruck watch.. Will Drew Petrie be BOG this game..!?
Is a frog's bum watertight?
Is the Pope a Catholic?
Is Trump a megalomaniac?
Is Scarlett Johansson a smokin' hot chick?
Am I a dirty old man?

How about this scenario...18 seconds on the clock, Saints 3 points in front...boundary throw in, Petrie palms it straight to a Weagle.
Ross and JB look at each other, scratch their heads, as WCE kicks a long goal.

Petrie 10 votes - 5 from each coach

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:Just gotta win thats all I want. These pr1cks got over the line last time here from dubious frees once again and that one Priddis got in the pocket for the softest free ever. I am sill angry about that game I wanted to kill someone.
And then the last time in round 2 when the umps bent us over and rogered us good :evil:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
supersaints
Club Player

Weller should go back to the twos, has been unimpressive for a while , Lonie has had more than a good run.

It's not quite time experiment tho.... if it's mathematically possible ( though unlikely ) to make finals no team would use this time to look at new players. These games are actually good for the team as we have to play finals like pressure if we are to survive.
We owe the Weagles one .... hoping we pump them

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

glad to see Stevens in and McKenzie unlucky, can't see Lonie getting back in the team for a while now.

all of Stevens, Acres, Steven, and Dunstan can effectively rest forward and all can kick goals, so in terms of balance don't think we need more than two full time small forwards i.e. for this game Weller + Gresham.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches