An example of how we over rate our younger players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

An example of how we over rate our younger players

http://bit.ly/2f74Hco

This link is just one website and one person's opinion (maybe a few) But for mine it indicates to me where we are at. It's the best players in the comp in a team under 22 yrs of age. Not one Saint is included.

Now I know we could argue that Billings belongs in there and the whole thing is a joke blah blah blah. HOWEVER to me what it says is that at the moment we are becoming irrelevant as a club. Our players are not front of mind when people are talking about young guns or up and comers. WE talk about it because WE support the club. If we take the blinkers off the reality is that from a wider footy perspective we are not taken overly seriously.

I would argue that Billings deserves a spot in that team - but the argument isn't black or white. And we have drafted quite a few young blokes under 21 in the past 3-4 years. That team is not a joke team. There are some seriously good players named in that team. Why aren't at least 2 of them Sainters??

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: An example of how we over rate our younger players

Swap Tom Boyd and DeGoey out for starters, not a serious team with those two in!!!!!

Billings should be in before the filth door jam slammer!!!!!

But, also you do make a good point!!!!!

Gresham would be a chance, but not consistent enough at the minute!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
quirky84
Club Player

Billings was clearly just forgotten and it an obvious mistake.

He should 100% be in there ahead of several blokes. You can tell he was forgotten because he's not even mentioned in the notable absentees.

Powell-Pepper and McGrath have had much better first years than JB, but have they been better than JB this season? You have to be kidding right?

Caleb Daniel, Dom Sheed also deserve a spot.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

JB has kicked 17 goals 26 this year?
If he'd been better and kicked 26.17 it would push him closer

As it is, his one break out game was the Murphygate one when he just fluked the goals
in direct breach of his normal habits, against a team that would lose to Coorparoo under 16s

He has talent but isn't consistent enough.
If we'd won say 4 more games, and he'd been a good contributor in more games as well,
sure he'd be in there

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

De Goey is very good. Has been good the last two months.
If he played for us we would be rating him highly.

But of course we will get the usual one eyed responses on here.
Noone knows what they are talking about. Billings and Gresham are the best players in the known universe etc etc etc.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:JB has kicked 17 goals 26 this year?
He kicked 6.12 last year. So maybe he just cant kick that well?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
I don't get how he nailed those goals against Carlscum...
thats like a tail-ender hitting 5 sixes in a row off a paceman

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Who said we (over) rate them. Don't we just hope there is untapped potential waiting to be released. Waiting....

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Happy to fly under the radar

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
It puzzles me also. He's a good kick in general and seemed more accurate in front of goal when he started. 23.38 over the past two years. The upside is he's had 61 shots at goal. The bad news is 23.38. Imagine if he'd scored 45.16 instead. He'd be in that side if that was the case. I think Gresham is a bit stiff, but I know I probably overrate him. Perhaps on potential. Either way, it's not a great endorsement of our draft picks and development program.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
It puzzles me also. He's a good kick in general and seemed more accurate in front of goal when he started. 23.38 over the past two years. The upside is he's had 61 shots at goal. The bad news is 23.38. Imagine if he'd scored 45.16 instead. He'd be in that side if that was the case. I think Gresham is a bit stiff, but I know I probably overrate him. Perhaps on potential. Either way, it's not a great endorsement of our draft picks and development program.
or perhaps our PR machine?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Moods
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote: It puzzles me also. He's a good kick in general and seemed more accurate in front of goal when he started.
Is he? I don't reckon he is. He looks like a great kick. Looks smooth. Quite often he doesn't get the depth in his kicking that he's looking for and too often misses simple kicks. It's frustrating because he seems to have great ball sense and doesn't have trouble getting to where he needs to be as a rule. The point was made that he has had 60 odd shots at goal - I think that in isolation is a great effort and underlines his potential to be anything. He needs to start nailing the bread and butter shots at goal and the freak goals were come. His field kicking can be sublime but too often is inconsistent. I have said before, I thought he was going to be what Zac Merrett has become. The good news is, there is still time and he has shown numerous times this year that he could be what we all hoped he would be.

I would change my name to Impatient Sainter but someone has already taken that alias........

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

how many rising star nominations have we had since 2010? Steven (and Savage) 2011 (amazing considering Steven debuted in 2009), Siposs 2012, Dunstan and Billing 2014, Lonie 2015, Gresh and Acres last year. So this is a rare year, but we did trade our first rounder.
Dunstan and Gresham our highest place getters coming 6th.

Last time we were down we had 8 nominations between 2001-2003 with two winners and a third.
Last edited by desertsaint on Fri 04 Aug 2017 12:59am, edited 1 time in total.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i wonder what that list would have looked like after the Richmond win when we'd won four in a row. Perhaps might have snuck a few in then

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Moods wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote: It puzzles me also. He's a good kick in general and seemed more accurate in front of goal when he started.
Is he? I don't reckon he is. He looks like a great kick. Looks smooth. Quite often he doesn't get the depth in his kicking that he's looking for and too often misses simple kicks. It's frustrating because he seems to have great ball sense and doesn't have trouble getting to where he needs to be as a rule. The point was made that he has had 60 odd shots at goal - I think that in isolation is a great effort and underlines his potential to be anything. He needs to start nailing the bread and butter shots at goal and the freak goals were come. His field kicking can be sublime but too often is inconsistent. I have said before, I thought he was going to be what Zac Merrett has become. The good news is, there is still time and he has shown numerous times this year that he could be what we all hoped he would be.

I would change my name to Impatient Sainter but someone has already taken that alias........
Dux of his class at his draft combine for kicking. I reckon he's gone backwards since, especially in front of goal.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:how many rising star nominations have we had since 2010? Steven (and Savage) 2011 (amazing considering Steven debuted in 2009), Siposs 2012, Dunstan and Billing 2014, Lonie 2015, Gresh and Acres last year. So this is a rare year, but we did trade our first rounder.
Dunstan and Gresham our highest place getters coming 6th.

Last time we were down we had 8 nominations between 2001-2003 with two winners and a third.
Correct.
This turned in to the great side of 09/10.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Last time we were down we had 8 nominations between 2001-2003 with two winners and a third.
Correct.
This turned in to the great side of 09/10.
2001: Caydn Beetham, James Begley, Kosi (Winner) - Notable Nominations include Damian Cupido, Aaron Fiora & Dion Woods
2002: Roo (Winner), X Clarke - notables include Nick Ries, Ty Zantuck & Jason Cloke
2003: Luke Ball, Brendon Goddard, Leigh Montagna - includes Byron Schammer, Richard Cole & Marc Bullen

So although we had a few nominees during that time, it's hardly an exact science.

I wouldn't be too worried with not seeing any names come up this year - i think Brandon White might be a sneaky chance to nab one before the year is out though.

What worries me more is how many nominations we get against us, It seems to happen a lot. Melican was the last one, for toweling up Roo a couple of weeks ago.

Wombat15
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Im no goalkicking coach but JB lacks a bit of ticker in front of goal. Gets the dream angle for a left footer of being 30-45 out on a slight angle on the right flank. Constantly misses when its simple as putting at the top left goal post and letting it drift back.
Greshams gonna be a star. I can handle a bit of second season selfishness because that will turn itself around. Never loses his feet, willing to have a crack and take the game by the scruff of the neck when the chance arises. The dumb aspects like the playing on when shouldve held the ball will come from experience. Now it sounds hypocritical to up gresh and not billings but i feel gresh was drafted as a small forward and expected to be that selfish "i got this" type of forward. Whereas everyone keeps saying JB is elite, His kicking is second to none. I dont think what ive see can consistently back that up.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Urban myth? There's been a few suggestions that
"experts" like sports scientists at clubs,
refuse to let players (at most clubs) kick a lot,
as it scars the quadriceps muscles (big front thigh muscles)

Footy training has ALWAYS included lots and lots of "kicking"
so what incredible discovery now says that kicking repetition will damage quads?

Rubbish rubbish rubbish

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Will Hayward looks very good.