Josh Kelly house hunting in Melb?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Kelly house hunting in Melb?

I don't want to requote David-Lee but our drafting is pretty poor, we are much better off trading picks for known players.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:He wants to me the next marc murphy. Heading to Carlton .
Yes do brought a house bayside to be near Carlton...... nup

“Yeah….nah””
Gershwin
Club Player

From Mark Robinson:
"It is said Kelly is at St Kilda next year."

Geez I hope so.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saintbob
SS Life Member

Surely we brought the bloody house and just gave him the keys.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Buying a house at way below market price in a private sale and then reselling a few years later at large profit - a new way to beat the salary cap.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:From Mark Robinson:

Geez I hope so.
When and where did he say that?

Mainly just want to know so I can continue the workmate speculation.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Gershwin
Club Player

bigred wrote:

Geez I hope so.

"9. JOSH KELLY

It is said Kelly is at St Kilda next year. Who knows what’s going to happen, but the Giants would be nervous, seeing as it’s Round 20 and Josh Kelly hasn’t signed a new contract. He’s a more-rounded player than at the start of the season, too. He’s spent more time forward over the past three weeks as the Giants try to find different options. Kelly played 85 per cent midfield and 15 per cent forward in Rounds 1-17. In the Rounds 18-20, he has spent 68 per cent midfield and 32 per cent forward. He kicked three goals and had 27 disposals against Melbourne and arguably was best afield."

EDITOR ON DUTY: Mark Robinson
August 6, 2017 9:00pm
Subscriber only

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah saw that....

Gives me more than enough ammo to cut sick at work...

Ensures that my Monday is full of hilarity.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Crossy66
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:
bigred wrote:

Geez I hope so.

"9. JOSH KELLY

It is said Kelly is at St Kilda next year. Who knows what’s going to happen, but the Giants would be nervous, seeing as it’s Round 20 and Josh Kelly hasn’t signed a new contract. He’s a more-rounded player than at the start of the season, too. He’s spent more time forward over the past three weeks as the Giants try to find different options. Kelly played 85 per cent midfield and 15 per cent forward in Rounds 1-17. In the Rounds 18-20, he has spent 68 per cent midfield and 32 per cent forward. He kicked three goals and had 27 disposals against Melbourne and arguably was best afield."

EDITOR ON DUTY: Mark Robinson
August 6, 2017 9:00pm
Subscriber only
Scuttlebutt 12 months ago was that the saints had an in principle arrangement with a big name for the 2018 season, but no one is leaking who. Hope its Kelly though.

David-Lee
Club Player

Joe Bloggs wrote:
David-Lee wrote:Surely not 2 first rounders....can't we offer a few players and a 2nd rounder? I think Kelly is a very good player but he has yet to prove it consistently. He is young and has improved since last season...why is he the messiah??

Is it being 17th in disposals, 22nd in contested possessions or maybe the fact he is 123rd in disposal effeciency that gets ya revving? He is quite a runner being 34th in metres gained, let's not forget his goal kicking being 79th in the league that really peaks my interest, but his talent in clearances has him 30th in the league - centre clearances he's 30th, stoppages he's 35th, what saves his rep is being 10th in tackling.

He has an upside it will be his 5th season in 2018. He is improving each year ( not hugely comparing 2016 to 2017) and he might be decent. But Seb Ross scores higher in many of these categories yet no million plus contract. As a matter of fact Josh Kelly is rated out of the top 50 and rated somewhere inbetween 75-100 in the best players in the AFL.

How can we be giving 2 first round picks and 1 million plus for this guy? Please don't tell me it's because he COULD be amazing because his record says he is not. He is not bad he is quite good. But not the answer.

Save our fecking cash. Draft to the very best of our ability and put the money into youth development instead of churning through amazing young talent. We just resigned Paddy. Dump a shag load of cash on the best of the best of the best to get this luckless lad his gazelle boots.
How about hiring the best ( won't type the best of the best of the best again but you know I want to) goal kicking coaches...Dunstall, Lockett, Llyod, Matthews....get some assistant coaches (fire the lot we have now) and hire some new guys turn the midfield into ball hungry honeybadgers, gorilla the defense so they make mince of big fowards and eat small forwards ( with seasoning....lets not be barbarians) in the commercial breaks....for Gods sake we are the MIGHTY SAINTS surely we can tape our package to one side and run like the wind....
Crap post of the year ....have you watched him play ....better than Judd....no doubt
Back up your opinion with facts or please state the following...I want Josh Kelly to be my daddy. ...whoops wrong forum. Sorry. I respect your opinion that he a future brownlow medalist who "is" better than Judd. Yes he today he is better than Judd who is retired. No he is not "yet" better and yes I have watched him play. He has potential and is good - I say that. But not 2 first round picks and mega cash. Why not use those 2 picks on fresh faces and grow winners?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If Kelly choses the Saints its a no brainer paying his asking price and trading draft picks. I agree with the above he is all class exactly what we need and will also be a potential Brownlow winner. Cant lose on a kid like that...

Gershwin
Club Player

David-Lee wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:
David-Lee wrote:Surely not 2 first rounders....can't we offer a few players and a 2nd rounder? I think Kelly is a very good player but he has yet to prove it consistently. He is young and has improved since last season...why is he the messiah??

Is it being 17th in disposals, 22nd in contested possessions or maybe the fact he is 123rd in disposal effeciency that gets ya revving? He is quite a runner being 34th in metres gained, let's not forget his goal kicking being 79th in the league that really peaks my interest, but his talent in clearances has him 30th in the league - centre clearances he's 30th, stoppages he's 35th, what saves his rep is being 10th in tackling.

He has an upside it will be his 5th season in 2018. He is improving each year ( not hugely comparing 2016 to 2017) and he might be decent. But Seb Ross scores higher in many of these categories yet no million plus contract. As a matter of fact Josh Kelly is rated out of the top 50 and rated somewhere inbetween 75-100 in the best players in the AFL.

How can we be giving 2 first round picks and 1 million plus for this guy? Please don't tell me it's because he COULD be amazing because his record says he is not. He is not bad he is quite good. But not the answer.

Save our fecking cash. Draft to the very best of our ability and put the money into youth development instead of churning through amazing young talent. We just resigned Paddy. Dump a shag load of cash on the best of the best of the best to get this luckless lad his gazelle boots.
How about hiring the best ( won't type the best of the best of the best again but you know I want to) goal kicking coaches...Dunstall, Lockett, Llyod, Matthews....get some assistant coaches (fire the lot we have now) and hire some new guys turn the midfield into ball hungry honeybadgers, gorilla the defense so they make mince of big fowards and eat small forwards ( with seasoning....lets not be barbarians) in the commercial breaks....for Gods sake we are the MIGHTY SAINTS surely we can tape our package to one side and run like the wind....
Crap post of the year ....have you watched him play ....better than Judd....no doubt
Back up your opinion with facts or please state the following...I want Josh Kelly to be my daddy. ...whoops wrong forum. Sorry. I respect your opinion that he a future brownlow medalist who "is" better than Judd. Yes he today he is better than Judd who is retired. No he is not "yet" better and yes I have watched him play. He has potential and is good - I say that. But not 2 first round picks and mega cash. Why not use those 2 picks on fresh faces and grow winners?
This is a summary of his year according to Inside Football. No shortage of superlatives and not a game under 6/10. Will only get better and could be one of the best ever. Adds the class we need to our solid mid-field.
2017 Season
1 Adel Big first term with 11 disposals including three inside-50's. 6
2 GCS Superb outing with three goals to go with a host of classy possessions running off a wing. Added extra dollars to next contract. 8
3 NM The $9m man had an 11-disposal first quarter showcasing his class and finished with a game-high 31. 8
4 Port Won the ball well both inside and out, and added some real defensive steel with 10 tackles. Becoming an all-round package. 8
5 Syd Hard runner all night and was again a consistent driver of the GWS midfield. 7
6 WB Class stood out. Each time he gest the ball in his hands there was a feeling something good was going to happen; 24 disposals. 8
7 StK Isn’t struggling under weight of speculation about his future . Used footy well and ran hard to receive it; 28 disposals. 7
8 Coll Twinkle Toes cut a swathe through the midfield with 36 disposals (29 on target) and 11 tackles (and a goal). 9
9 Rich Continues to lead the way. The only Giant in the first three quarters to win his position. Immense. 8
10 WCE A jet. His 29 touches and seven clearances were all class. Kicked a goal too. 9
11 Ess Monster game. Continues to get better despite contract speculation. 38 touches, 10 tackles. 9
12 Carl Touched more leather than the Hellfire Club. Ended with 29 touches, 10 tackles and six clearances. 8
13 Hip.
14 Hip.
15 Geel Huge game from a star. Grabbed 33 disposals and was a key to the side coming back in final term. 8
16 Haw Glides through traffic, tough as well – got crunched by Roughead got up and ran off straight away. 34 disposals, 10 tackles and a goal 8
17 Syd Kicked a boundary line special which showed why he will earn millions, however only went at 41 percent efficiency with his 27 disposals. 6
18 Rich Playmaker worked hard to grab 23 possessions, including five inside-50s and ix tackles. Solid effort. 7
19 Frem Added a few more dollars to that contract with game sealing goal in the dying moments. Was massive with 12 score involvements. 8
20 Melb Squirted forward for two goals in the opening term and ended with three. Smart movement and won ball well. 8

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ok...let's sign him

David-Lee
Club Player

And yet....all that goes to prove is he is a good midfielder like I agree to...but he still only sits on average in stats rankings about 35th for 2017. But we want to pay him like he is top 5. He "could" be, he may be, that would be brilliant, but for such speculation to cost us so much.... when has this EVER worked in our favour at such a cost?
Our best trades have been few and far between.

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2016-10-11/trade-of-fortune

We have to give up potentially 2 top 10 picks? Are you serious?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

J. Kelly is currently around 4th and 5th in Brownlow betting odds. At worst he is still a top 10 player in the entire league.

Yep. He is worth 2 first round picks especially when aged 22 and in his 4th year.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Two first rounders and they give us Kelly and a 2nd rounder.

Our second rounder for this year was promised for Steele....

Only thing that I dont like about this trade is GWS getting another armchair ride first round in the draft.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

We need to throw everything at getting Kelly. He would bring us the creativity going forward which we so sorely lack. (OK, we do have Steven and, further forward, Billings and Gresham, but, compared to our competitors, we are light on.)

There is no case for hanging onto draft picks and money. We will be wanting to challenge for the flag over the next five years, which means that we can't afford to wait for a future draft pick to develop into a star.

If we can also find a ready made forward target, and have enough left in the bank to recruit them, that would be good as well. (If not, we will need to trust in one of Paddy, Battle and Marshall making the grade.)

But, at a pinch, we can live with the forwards we've got. But we need Kelly or, failing that Martin (but I'd be extremely surprised if Martin leaves the Tiges).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:J. Kelly is currently around 4th and 5th in Brownlow betting odds. At worst he is still a top 10 player in the entire league.

Yep. He is worth 2 first round picks especially when aged 22 and in his 4th year.
It's bleeding obvious that he's worth this much: possibly more.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

So the word on the street (ie Bigfooty) was that Josh's family were sitting with the Steele family at yesterday's game.....

Make it happen Saints. Do what it takes. If it's $1.2M for seven, so what? We've saved the coin for this exact situation.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

According to Mark Robinson in todays Herald Scum we are the front runners to secure Kelly's services:

9. JOSH KELLY
It is said Kelly is at St Kilda next year. Who knows what’s going to happen, but the Giants would be nervous, seeing as it’s Round 20 and Josh Kelly hasn’t signed a new contract. He’s a more-rounded player than at the start of the season, too. He’s spent more time forward over the past three weeks as the Giants try to find different options. Kelly played 85 per cent midfield and 15 per cent forward in Rounds 1-17. In the Rounds 18-20, he has spent 68 per cent midfield and 32 per cent forward. He kicked three goals and had 27 disposals against Melbourne and arguably was best afield

Positives:
- We have 2 X first round picks to secure Kelly
- He is good mates with Steele and Billings
- Move to Moorabin can't hurt geographically considering is a Bayside boy

Hopefully he can see some upside in the Saints!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.