St Kilda set to hand coach Alan Richardson contract extensio

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda set to hand coach Alan Richardson contract exte

WellardSaint wrote:well, isn't that the best news this year, by far.
The club will stand by its coach
Looking for a new coach means getting a whole new plan from scratch,
so long term recruiting plans will have to be redrawn.
Stability is great.
We know what we're getting.
9 wins in 2016
Maybe 10 this year if we're lucky
2018- treading water while others overtake us (i.e. we go backwards really- see Demons, Tigers, Hawks)
and...expect to see Carlscum, Hawks n Norf win more than us next year and push us down the pecking order
2019- priority draft pick as we tied with Lions for wooden spoon in 2018.
Don't get TOO excited about 2018, Colleague! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Stability is great.
9 wins in 2016
2018- treading water while others overtake us (i.e. we go backwards really- see Demons, Tigers, Hawks)
and...expect to see Carlscum, Hawks n Norf win more than us next year and push us down the pecking order
Don't get TOO excited about 2018, Colleague! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Comrade, my first 4 lines are totes positive!!!

Maybe Moses will perform a Softwick, and after grabbing some talent in the draft+ FA, and dumping Lonie,
the faithful will climb into the top 4 just like Richturd did this year !!
:mrgreen:

Go Saints!!! To Purgatory with the rest !!

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Don't really have a problem with this.

Club has invested pretty heavily in Richardson for the long run.

Would like him to fix the goal kicking a tad.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
spert
Saintsational Legend

Well, let's see how the remainder of the season pans out as his performance over his four seasons up to now is not great, and we can't just blame the players.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Stability is great.
9 wins in 2016

Maybe Moses will perform a Softwick, and after grabbing some talent in the draft+ FA, and dumping Lonie,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PremiershipSaint
Club Player

Stability is great! Just like what the Dogs did with McCartney, sacking him and getting someone like Beveridge would have been a disaster!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Stability is great.
9 wins in 2016

Well Lonie's dumped, what's next?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Jack's Back asked now that Lonie is dumped, what's next?
Well, in the short term, get Marshall in so he can go 2nd ruck.
Asking Baroose to be 2nd ruck, is ruining him.

I would like to see the back of Hamill and Skrobalak
at the end of the season.
That's my long term hope.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Stability is great.
9 wins in 2016

Well Lonie's dumped, what's next?
I'd imagine by the end of the day all the players have dumped.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

PremiershipSaint wrote:Stability is great! Just like what the Dogs did with McCartney, sacking him and getting someone like Beveridge would have been a disaster!
Beveridge can share a lot of the credit for that flukey Premiership with McCartney. The Bulldogs learnt an uncompromising defensive mindset under McCartney and were really hard to play against. Beveridge inherited that and they seem to have lost it this season, hence their slide.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Three best and worst coaching performances this season? Worst: possibly Game 1, healthy lead and run over, could not contain Goodwin's tactics; Out west, had West Coast on toast and could not close up the game; Sydney in Sydney - Saints were always going to lose but looked completely outclassed and clueless. Last week wasn't too flash either but it was only for a place in the 8. Best coaching: GWS, Carlton and Freo? Main strategy A this year was to have Roo play on the wing and groom a replacement CHF. Seems to have been abandoned. Main strategy B improve mids performance, not sure there has been any improvement. Main strategy C have aggressive small forward trap the ball in fwd 50 - how's that going Mav. Can't remember too many tactical coups - but perhaps bad luck has intervened too often.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote:Three best and worst coaching performances this season? Worst: possibly Game 1, healthy lead and run over, could not contain Goodwin's tactics; Out west, had West Coast on toast and could not close up the game; Sydney in Sydney - Saints were always going to lose but looked completely outclassed and clueless. Last week wasn't too flash either but it was only for a place in the 8. Best coaching: GWS, Carlton and Freo? Main strategy A this year was to have Roo play on the wing and groom a replacement CHF. Seems to have been abandoned. Main strategy B improve mids performance, not sure there has been any improvement. Main strategy C have aggressive small forward trap the ball in fwd 50 - how's that going Mav. Can't remember too many tactical coups - but perhaps bad luck has intervened too often.
Putting your hand up for an assistants job, Yorkeys?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

All the assistance I can get

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: nice one mate! You make some very interesting points, by the way. FWIW, I thought the game ( V Crows ) in Adelaide was THE worst performance all year.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There's only a few people left on the whole planet who aren't currently head coaches of an AFL team, or part of a coaching team, and had previously been assistants to or part of the coaching structure under Alastair Clarkson. Why don't we target Ratten who has also been a senior coach? Another forgotten assistant who is right up there in my opinion would be Matthew Knights - former Essondon coach

I'm not saying that they should take over because I'm not qualified or have enough info to provide an opinion, but I'd love to have either one of them as assistants to Richo

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:There's only a few people left on the whole planet who aren't currently head coaches of an AFL team, or part of a coaching team, and had previously been assistants to or part of the coaching structure under Alastair Clarkson. Why don't we target Ratten who has also been a senior coach? Another forgotten assistant who is right up there in my opinion would be Matthew Knights - former Essondon coach

I'm not saying that they should take over because I'm not qualified or have enough info to provide an opinion, but I'd love to have either one of them as assistants to Richo
Matthew Knights! Gee how quickly we forget, I'd forgotten about him! I think that a great, constructive suggestion Scollop! Good on you companero!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
PremiershipSaint wrote:Stability is great! Just like what the Dogs did with McCartney, sacking him and getting someone like Beveridge would have been a disaster!
Beveridge can share a lot of the credit for that flukey Premiership with McCartney. The Bulldogs learnt an uncompromising defensive mindset under McCartney and were really hard to play against. Beveridge inherited that and they seem to have lost it this season, hence their slide.
Bingo. There's a lot of us I reckon, that were thinking exactly the same thing last year, but we would be ridiculed on here if we said McCartney was one of the most influentual people in setting up the foundations for that premiership. The sycophants in the media like to simplify things and just make out that Beveridge is somehow responsible for both the VFL and the AFL premierships that they won.

I'm happy with Richo so far but I think I'd only give him 1 more year before deciding he is capable of taking us to a premiership.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Bingo. There's a lot of us I reckon, that were thinking exactly the same thing last year, but we would be ridiculed on here if we said McCartney was one of the most influentual people in setting up the foundations for that premiership. The sycophants in the media like to simplify things and just make out that Beveridge is somehow responsible for both the VFL and the AFL premierships that they won.

I'm happy with Richo so far but I think I'd only give him 1 more year before deciding he is capable of taking us to a premiership.
Great points there ( re: the " media sycophants ") scollop. For what it's worth, I'm of the opinion that Alan Richardson has probably needed five years to get us anywhere near to being contenders for regular finals footy. While it may not please every one, I'm happy to see the guy be given an extension, in order to continue with the build.