Competitive Will and Onfield Leadership

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cps
Club Player

Competitive Will and Onfield Leadership

Now that we are losing Riewoldt and possibly Montagna at the end to the seasson I was wondering two things about the current list:

1. It's well-known that Riewoldt set an incredible example on the training track and around the club - who fills that role once he's gone?

2. Both Riewoldt and Montagna have both been excellent on-field leaders in terms of set-ups, structures, etc. (perhaps the result of last Saturday would have been different had one or both played). Who will the on-field "organisers" once they're gone? I know Gears is one, but who else is there?

Cheers!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Competitive Will and Onfield Leadership

cps wrote:Now that we are losing Riewoldt and possibly Montagna at the end to the seasson I was wondering two things about the current list:

1. It's well-known that Riewoldt set an incredible example on the training track and around the club - who fills that role once he's gone?

2. Both Riewoldt and Montagna have both been excellent on-field leaders in terms of set-ups, structures, etc. (perhaps the result of last Saturday would have been different had one or both played). Who will the on-field "organisers" once they're gone? I know Gears is one, but who else is there?

Cheers!
Good post cps, and an interesting question for us to ponder on, colleague. For what it's worth, my feeling is that someone will emerge, possibly in these next four weeks, and will take on that role. I asked myself similar questions when Loewe, Burke, and Harvey retired.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

It was devastatingly obvious that no one emerged in the dying moments on Saturday.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I would hope Steven would step up also.
He should be brilliant. He touches on brilliance more often than not.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:It was devastatingly obvious that no one emerged in the dying moments on Saturday.
Carlisle did but it's pretty hard to save the game from full back unless you do a Leo Barry at just the right time.

For me, Carlisle should be our captain next year. He has all the attributes we need for the role IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
To the top
SS Life Member

As I put in a rant on another thread, Carlisle should assume leadership

And his support should include representation from the First Round Draft Picks over the past couple of years to progress their development - along with Armitage and Steven who are our core

cps
Club Player

Interesting replies, but I wasn't thinking of the player that "saves the game" - more the person who organises the setup and gets the players in the right positions guarding the right spaces.

Also, a few replies have mentioned people who "should" stand up - I was hoping that there would be players on the list who actually want to do this. As an observer, Steven comes across as someone who doesn't naturally do this. So who have we got - Armo? Seb?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

cps wrote:Interesting replies, but I wasn't thinking of the player that "saves the game" - more the person who organises the setup and gets the players in the right positions guarding the right spaces.

Also, a few replies have mentioned people who "should" stand up - I was hoping that there would be players on the list who actually want to do this. As an observer, Steven comes across as someone who doesn't naturally do this. So who have we got - Armo? Seb?
Fair comment

takeaway
Club Player

Hodge gone next year, also possibly Gibson, who takes their place in organising setups? You could say the same for any team losing experienced leaders.

Leaders will develop further once the oldies go.

cps
Club Player

So here's the official leadership group:

Geary, Newnes, Steven, Armitage, Weller, Ross

For the onfield "director" (I'll call it that for want of a better term) I reckon you need someone with experience (especially of tight, high-pressure situations) and a cool head so they can look after what they have to do and direct less experienced team mates. The list above doesn't seem to have a natural standout. Maybe Joey needs to go around again?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

cps wrote:So here's the official leadership group:

For the onfield "director" (I'll call it that for want of a better term) I reckon you need someone with experience (especially of tight, high-pressure situations) and a cool head so they can look after what they have to do and direct less experienced team mates. The list above doesn't seem to have a natural standout. Maybe Joey needs to go around again?
You know Colleague, I LOVE the good old saying: "cometh the hour; Cometh the man"!

older saint
SS Life Member

Sounds like you are after the next Lenny?

From what i have seen Ross perhaps , but i think the issue is usually it is an A grader who imposes themselves at the critical moments, and we do not have one IMO at the moment. A few A- or B+ but no silk. Perhaps Ross is closest we have - hence why we must throw everything we have at Kelly

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:Hodge gone next year, also possibly Gibson, who takes their place in organising setups? You could say the same for any team losing experienced leaders.

Roughead, Bruce, Gunston, Mitchell's been handy?

I reckon their potentials are better than

Newnes, Weller or Geary TBH

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
takeaway wrote:Hodge gone next year, also possibly Gibson, who takes their place in organising setups? You could say the same for any team losing experienced leaders.

The Hawthorn group's "collective experience" is "better" too colleague!
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Tue 01 Aug 2017 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

takeaway
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Their "collective experience" is "better" too colleague!
Probably better now, but not when we should be challenging 2019-22. Roughhead, Frawley, Birchall, Burgoyne etc probably all gone then.

As I said leaders will develop further when vacancies occur.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

You forgot Baroose in the group...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
loris
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

You forgot Baroose in the group...
And Roberton!

Rocket
Club Player

I believe one of our biggest weakness right now is our lack of midfield experience. We don't have an experienced head (or two) to take hold of game when it matters. Really miss Armitage as he is our oldest and lost experienced mid.

cps
Club Player

I got the list from here:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... ec5805114c

When were Roberton and Bruce added?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Announced when Geary became captain.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-02-0 ... shed-group

"As part of the transition from experience to youth, Dylan Roberton, Josh Bruce and Seb Ross enter the leadership group for the first time in their careers, joining Mav Weller, Jack Newnes, Jack Steven and David Armitage in the group."

spert
Saintsational Legend

Experience doesn't mean good leadership. Some people are better leaders than others, irrespective of how much experience they may have.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Bruce and Membrey might step up in Roos absence.
Roo cast a big shadow....I reckon they will emerge as leaders.

Nee!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

From a recent television mike-up, Gears had a fair bit to say whilst on the field. Not sure whether that's intelligent/tactical advice or not, but he must have respect from the playing group, to be appointed captain. None of the others, except Carlisle, show leadership qualities.

Carlisle seems to be "a leader," but it may be too early for him. However, as the Jiggster said - cometh the hour, cometh the man.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Ross and Newnes most leadership potential for mine. Although Gears has grown into the role much better than I expected. Last year, I thought Weller looked well capable of 'leading the team into battle' but never seemed particularly smart and has seemed even less so this season!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:Ross and Newnes most leadership potential for mine. Although Gears has grown into the role much better than I expected. Last year, I thought Weller looked well capable of 'leading the team into battle' but never seemed particularly smart and has seemed even less so this season!
Spot on re: Seb & Jack Newnes. Weller? Hmmmmmm? Not prepared to write him off completely JUST yet. The addition of an A-grade midfielder for 2018 will see where we're at.