Where Roo sits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Where Roo sits

In regard to players ability I believe he rates in the top 5 players ever to wear RWB
no particular order - Baldock, Stewart, Lockett, Harvey, Roo

In regard to contribution to the football club may even rate higher:

- Longest serving captain
- Lead a group through a successful win /loss era ( no premierships but 2 GF +draw, and 3 prelims)
- Face of football club providing a quality image when others weren't representing the club well
- Mentor and example to endless number of players
- left everything on the field every time he plays.

up there with Barker, Breen, Baldock, Frawley, Jeans in regard to great Stkilda contributors

Thoughts

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Where Roo sits

older saint wrote:In regard to players ability I believe he rates in the top 5 players ever to wear RWB

In regard to contribution to the football club may even rate higher:

- Longest serving captain
- Lead a group through a successful win /loss era ( no premierships but 2 GF +draw, and 3 prelims)
- Face of football club providing a quality image when others weren't representing the club well
- Mentor and example to endless number of players
- left everything on the field every time he plays.

up there with Barker, Breen, Baldock, Frawley, Jeans in regard to great Stkilda contributors

Thoughts
I have watched them all play and in my opinion they rank:
1. Lockett (Best player I have seen)
2. Roo
3. Baldock
4. Harvey
5. Stewart

One year will be our year
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would have to agree with long Time Saint except I would have Harvs 2nd. Also Neil Roberts deserves a mention. Long Time Captain, Brownlow medalist and a 3rd. A great character as well. Not every body gets to lead an Antartic expedition.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

And I nearly forgot, my all time favourite, Verdun.. Another true champion of the club. One of only two fullbacks to win the brownlow. And Neil Roberts is the only C.H.. to win it. I cant remember any others.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The five players in the op stand out to me. Didn't see Stewart or Baldock so it's hard to put them in order. Lockett was the best I saw. Happy for Roo to be remembered as one of the best.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I dont have many memories of lockett. A few but i think was prime in my childhood.
I do have little memory of Winmar, Stewy, Burke.

Harvey however, He will forever be my sporting idol.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Roo is now a legend of the club along with a handful of other Saints. I have been around long enough to see some greats play for us. There is no order for champions- they are what they are.

I saw the freakish brilliance of Baldock, the sheer class of Stewart, the power of Lockett, the braveness and inspiration of Barker, the relentless running game of Harvey- and now I can add the unparalleled competitiveness and quality of Roo

There are others who are greats of the club..I wish we could have got them all on the ground together in the one team.

What did they all have in common? The were fearless, and never took a backward step in their quest to win, and as a result inspired others.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:In regard to players ability I believe he rates in the top 5 players ever to wear RWB
Definitely in our top 5 all time players. Those 5 seem right to me. No arguments here.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Riewoldt is number 1 of all time.
His playing career is better than any other Saint in my opinion when you look at the stats and what he has done but what is very important to me was his true loyalty, great captaincy and leadership, strong connections with members and fans, guiding team mates and being the public the face of the club for so long cannot be underestimated. He is number 1 in those areas combined above any other player we have had. Look at Lockett for example - absolute gun and gave it all but in the end he chose to leave, never captained (I think!) and I doubt he cared for the club, fellow players and its fans like Riewoldt has.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He may not be the best player but he's the greatest that's played for the club.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Should have captained this year and held the record - the Geary experiment is kind of a caretaker role waiting for a real contender. Retired as captain. What he deserved.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

from what I've seen
Lockett
Roo
Gilbo......oops mean Banger

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:He may not be the best player but he's the greatest that's played for the club.
This.

Perfect summation.

And for those of us born after 1966, damned near, if not best, as well.

Always loyal
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Will be remembered as one of greatest ever club men for what he has done around the club. Same ilk as Barker.
Roo is also the second best saints player i have seen, only behind Lockett. Never saw Baldock or Stewart play.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Like a eulogy at a funeral, sometimes we all get a bit too effusive with our praise immediately after the retirement/death of someone. However in this case the platitudes are completely justified. I recall years ago saying to my mates that I have never seen a footballer play so consistently above the required standard for an AFL footballer. He played the hardest position on the ground and would get smashed every week, but keep fronting up the following week. How he didn't win Leigh Matthews award re comp MVP in 09 was astounding (Swan won it, but for mine Roo was easily the most influential player that year) That would have been 2 x Leigh Matthews awards in his career. I rate him marginally behind Plugger as the best Saint I've ever seen. I rate him as the most influential Saint ever. And I rate him behind Plugger and Carey as the best Key position fwds I've ever seen. A once in a generation player.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I've also seen the above mentioned five all play,of which I agree with but my order would be
1. Lockett
2. Baldock
3. Riewoldt
4. Stewart
5. Harvey

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He's the best we have ever had.

Modern era, professional footballer.

Riewoldt
Lockett
Harvey
Baldock
Stewart.

I cant put the latter two in the top three because they played in a completely different era. There is no way, NO WAY that they could go with the footballers today.

I was lucky enough to see all of probably all of Plugger's games for St. Kilda. Would have only missed a handful of Harvey's 383 games but Riewoldt does them both.

Just my opinion, but our GOAT looks like an Alpacca.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Just my opinion, but our GOAT looks like an Alpacca.
Yep, have always thought that myself.

GOAT is such a terrible acronym. Only in Australia would we come up with something so stupid. In American sports, a goat is a chump who is mostly to blame for losing a game. Billy Longer should be our GOAT. (Sorry, Stonecold!)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
St Lenny
Club Player

Hard to split Roo and Harves as the best all time for me.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:He may not be the best player but he's the greatest that's played for the club.
This.

Perfect summation.

And for those of us born after 1966, damned near, if not best, as well.
+1000

Ladies and gentlemen, to the best of us

lang

Cant believe Lenny Hayes is not mentioned..................

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Gee Lockett played in a very defensively easy era of the game. Flooding didnt exist, the overall defensive skills then were so subpar compared to today. Running endlessly was not required.

Riewoldt for many years played in peak flood. He often drew 2 or 3 opponents every week. Riewoldt in my view, is in a league above Lockett.
Though no doubt Lockeft was the best set shot ever.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
leighsaintsince66
Club Player

Thank you Roo, What a career!
Based on my experience as a member and supporter of the Saints, and attending about 650 - 700 Saints matches, my ratings are as follows:

1. Lockett. By far the most dominating presence we have ever had. Brute of a man, incredibly fast on the lead, best kick for goal ever?
2. Harvey and Riewoldt tie here! Totally different players, both loyal, unique running machines. Virtually unstoppable when at their peak...
4. Baldock. The most skilful player of all time?
5. Stewart. Unbelievable talent.
It is incredibly difficult to separate these champions, but the above is only an opinion.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Gee Lockett played in a very defensively easy era of the game. Flooding didnt exist, the overall defensive skills then were so subpar compared to today. Running endlessly was not required.

Riewoldt for many years played in peak flood. He often drew 2 or 3 opponents every week. Riewoldt in my view, is in a league above Lockett.
Agreed.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
older saint
SS Life Member

ralphsmith wrote:Gee Lockett played in a very defensively easy era of the game. Flooding didnt exist, the overall defensive skills then were so subpar compared to today. Running endlessly was not required.

In no way down talking Roo down but there is no way Lockett played in an easier defensive era. Read Burke's article in Inside football it articulates it perfectly. Now to spoil you must punch the ball or it is a free for chopping arms . Locket had arms continually chopped and Silvani and the like scragging and grabbing him at every contest. Locket had 2 or 3 guys every contest to beat including 1 in the hole. A some of the great full backs of all time - Silvani, Pert, Langford, McIntosh, Martyn, played in that era.

Both champions of the footy club and AFL.
All entitled to our opinion, what makes this place exist .