Where Roo sits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where Roo sits

And this topic will never have a clear outcome.

No way did Plugger have to contend with the defensive structures that we see today though.

No way.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:And this topic will never have a clear outcome.

No way did Plugger have to contend with the defensive structures that we see today though.

No way.
Agreed, but I'd have Lockett ahead of Riewoldt - and anyone else for that matter - on pure match-winning ability.

He didn't miss, particularly when the game was in the balance.

Which isn't to say I don't rate Riewoldt and appreciate his immense contribution to our club.

After Lockett I have he, Banger, Doc and Stewart in my top five. That is fairly elite company.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:And I nearly forgot, my all time favourite, Verdun.. Another true champion of the club. One of only two fullbacks to win the brownlow. And Neil Roberts is the only C.H.. to win it. I cant remember any others.
Brian Gleeson. Although, Gleeson played mainly at CHF and later in the ruck.

carn_sainter
Club Player

I think trying to talk about who was the best player is never going to work, it's too subjective. However large or small the group of contenders is, Riewoldt would be in there.

But, in terms of contribution to the club, Riewoldt's record is more or less objectively clear and in my view he is the number one saint of all time, just eclipsing R Harvey.

Unfortunately, it will be a very long time until we have somebody come along and get even near to Riewoldt's contribution to the St Kilda Football Club.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Roo is a champion of our Club and no doubt one of its greats. However, I think there are a few 'youngsters' out there underselling Doc Baldock.

Unfortunately, I'm also too young to have watched Baldock, but just seeing some of the footage and hearing the reverance with which he was regarded. Surely only Plugger can rival the Doc? Even then many say the Doc was better.

Anyone had the good fortune to se a lot of Baldock? If so, how did he compare to Lockett and Roo?