Jack Steven

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Jack Steven

It's a bit difficult to think about anything but roo right now - but wanted to get forum's feedback on this:

What's up with him lately? For three seasons(?) he's been our standout player - the only player many here felt was truly elite. But I barely notice him lately. On Saturday, he didn't seem to have any run and didn't seem to want to take responsibility either. I don't think he was tagged.

Is it him (or is it me?!) To be honest, I hope it's the latter!!!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven

freely wrote:It's a bit difficult to think about anything but roo right now - but wanted to get forum's feedback on this:

What's up with him lately? For three seasons(?) he's been our standout player - the only player many here felt was truly elite. But I barely notice him lately. On Saturday, he didn't seem to have any run and didn't seem to want to take responsibility either. I don't think he was tagged.

Is it him (or is it me?!) To be honest, I hope it's the latter!!!
Since he had the punctured lung he has not recaptured his form. I think a lot of supporters underestimate the impact that injury has had on the lad.

Like another poster who commented in another post, I still think he's feeing the impact of that injury.
A couple of times in the last couple of matches I've seen him clutch at his side after being heavily tackled. Last match after a chase he was holding/ rubbing his chest. He has been playing with some padding around his body, that's reason he looks like he is carrying a bit of puddin' around the gut!
Last edited by loris on Mon 31 Jul 2017 4:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

He's not living up to the standard we've become used to. We really need his drive through the centre. Could be a slight niggle that's keeping him down slightly. Hopefully nothing that a good preseason won't fix.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

oh yeah, of course! I forgot he was injured. thanks loris - that makes more sense. It also means we've got a lot more improvement in us when he's fully recovered than whoever we recruit! I know he hasn't stopped working but we've (I've) missed his run.

David-Lee
Club Player

Without a doubt he is fit to play. However the lung injury would set his anaerobic capacity (living in the absence of air) back to a low level. This is critical in elite players to be able to have continuous burst speed without high oxygen levels. Lung injuries will seriously affect this as will the lung scarring. Next year will see him right.