Alan Richardson's contract in 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Alan Richardson's contract in 2018

Guess we will know soon if some of our Assistant coaches are to be moved on at this season's end. Heard it on Fox program tonight that the ridiculous situation of Assistants being told on August 1st if their contracts are being continued.
Panel were saying it would be hard to be an assistant in a team that may end up playing in the finals, to know you are not wanted for the next season. August 1 seems a strange date, you'd think they would wait until the end of the season.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

loris wrote:Guess we will know soon if some of our Assistant coaches are to be moved on at this season's end. Heard it on Fox program tonight that the ridiculous situation of Assistants being told on August 1st if their contracts are being continued.
Panel were saying it would be hard to be an assistant in a team that may end up playing in the finals, to know you are not wanted for the next season. August 1 seems a strange date, you'd think they would wait until the end of the season.
To be moved on, have been hopeless:
-Hamill
- Skrobalak (mid coach- we won clearances against a few sides but not enough times)
- Frawley (part-time)
- Searle (development coach has failed to develop enough of the players)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:
St Chris wrote:The last thing we should want is dealing with the media BS every week that Buckley or Rocket deal with - we're too easy to target with that stuff.

The people making these decisions know how Richo is really tracking. Are the players responding to the message, is the development progressing etc. Make the decision based on that knowledge, not on his Win/loss percentage or his perception in the media.

This needs to be sorted ASAP. By GF week (2 months from now) I hope we've either extended his deal, or sacked him. 2018 is pivotal for this generation, and whoever is coach deserves clear air to do their job.
We should have Eade as an assistant
Not sure any team is tying to poach Richo. I would move him on if Bevridge decided to come home :wink:
Eades finished game passed him by after he left Dogs
No thanks

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
loris wrote:Guess we will know soon if some of our Assistant coaches are to be moved on at this season's end. Heard it on Fox program tonight that the ridiculous situation of Assistants being told on August 1st if their contracts are being continued.
To be moved on, have been hopeless:
-Hamill
- Skrobalak (mid coach- we won clearances against a few sides but not enough times)
- Frawley (part-time)
- Searle (development coach has failed to develop enough of the players)
who do you see as adequate replacements, Colleague? AND, I'm not being facetious (honest!) just curious to see who we could appoint with: the necessary talent and nous; AND the availibility. I'd hate to see someone like Hodge or any other recently retired star being given a gig in order to "begin an AFL coaching apprenticeship to further their career" now THAT would be (IMHO) just too dumb for even THIS club's history

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Okay, no argument from me: the onfield results of our Forward Coaching group speak for themselves: AWFUL, just AWFUL. WHO do we appoint for next year WITH THE PROVEN TRACK RECORD to rectify this? Jonathon Brown? Ive heard his name being bandied about,

Midfield: THROW EVERYTHING at getting Lenny Hayes back here? Perhaps Dal? :?

Defence: I personally think its crazy to have Frawley as a part-time defensive coach. Love the guy, always will, BUT we need someone HARD TOUGH (and from a non-Saints background) to rattle the cage a bit and get these guys DRILLED into a defensive system. WHO? I'm admitting to be at a loss there....... :oops:

NOW......... a SENIOR asssitant coach? Ratten? why would he leave the Hawks? Eade? Hmmmmm? dont know if he'd be of any use now....How about Buckley (if he gets the arse?)

David-Lee
Club Player

As far as instability as an arguement and using 16 years as to prove a point:
Bulldogs 6 coaches
Terry Wallace 1996–2002
Peter Rohde 2002–04
Rodney Eade 2005–2011
Paul Williams 2011
Brendan McCartney 2012–14
34 Luke Beveridge 2015

By dumping their 5th coach their 6th took them to a GF.

Melbourne have had 8 coaches in 16 years and are sitting in 7th on the ladder.

Port Adelaide have had 5 coaches in 16 years.

Adelaide : 6 coaches with a notable loss.

Theres a few with long term coaches like Sydney and Hawks but many with the same or more coaches than we have had.

As I have said my opinion is that every year we must get better as a team overall and this year we have at best stagnated. Many have back peddled either due to injury or age or having their game "worked out" by opponents. Some have improved, many youngsters have swung wildly from great to shocking - to early to know if its coaching or just growing pains. I do not like the Richo Ride...I feel the strategy is a tried and been done game plan that only works when the stars align ( which every clubs seems to get 1 or 2 games of magic a year).

I do not see it. If he is responsible for hiring the assistants he needs to go.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:As far as instability as an arguement and using 16 years as to prove a point:
Bulldogs 6 coaches
Terry Wallace 1996–2002
Peter Rohde 2002–04
Rodney Eade 2005–2011
Paul Williams 2011
34 Luke Beveridge 2015

Theres a few with long term coaches like Sydney and Hawks but many with the same or more coaches than we have had.

As I have said my opinion is that every year we must get better as a team overall and this year we have at best stagnated. Many have back peddled either due to injury or age or having their game "worked out" by opponents. Some have improved, many youngsters have swung wildly from great to shocking - to early to know if its coaching or just growing pains. I do not like the Richo Ride...I feel the strategy is a tried and been done game plan that only works when the stars align ( which every clubs seems to get 1 or 2 games of magic a year).

With four H&A games remaining, and in the context of this crazy, inconsistent season, it's entirely possible that we could improve on our win-loss ratio from 2016. I accept however, that it's a huge ask. As a hypothetical exercise, David-Lee, and using your criteria "every year we must get better", how would you have applied that rule to Hardwick and Richmond in 2016? They went backwards at a rate of knots, and missed finals (again) yet here they are now eyeing off a spot in the top four!
It could be argued that Colondud should have sacked mick in 2009 after another finals failure. Next year they were saluting in October!

loris
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Okay, no argument from me: the onfield results of our Forward Coaching group speak for themselves: AWFUL, just AWFUL. WHO do we appoint for next year WITH THE PROVEN TRACK RECORD to rectify this? Jonathon Brown? Ive heard his name being bandied about,

Defence: I personally think its crazy to have Frawley as a part-time defensive coach. Love the guy, always will, BUT we need someone HARD TOUGH (and from a non-Saints background) to rattle the cage a bit and get these guys DRILLED into a defensive system. WHO? I'm admitting to be at a loss there....... :oops:

NOW......... a SENIOR asssitant coach? Ratten? why would he leave the Hawks? Eade? Hmmmmm? dont know if he'd be of any use now....How about Buckley (if he gets the arse?)
Jiggster, I think you'll find Rohan Welsh is currently our FULL TIME defensive coach. And Frawley only assists on a limited part-time capacity.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Okay, no argument from me: the onfield results of our Forward Coaching group speak for themselves: AWFUL, just AWFUL. WHO do we appoint for next year WITH THE PROVEN TRACK RECORD to rectify this? Jonathon Brown? Ive heard his name being bandied about,

Jiggster, I think you'll find Rohan Welsh is currently our FULL TIME defensive coach. And Frawley only assists on a limited part-time capacity.
G'day Loris! :D thanks for that clarification. I don't know about anyone else, but there have been times ( and NOT only on Saturday last) when I've been tearing what scant hair I've got out at the roots in frustration at the amount of SPACE opposition forwards have enjoyed against us all year!
The goal kicking accuracy issue gets the attention (correctly) but, defensively we've looked awful at times.
I do appreciate, however that another full pre season for Brown, Carlisle, Roberton and Geary/Goddard (?) could well see it sorted for 2018.

loris
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
loris wrote:

G'day Loris! :D thanks for that clarification. I don't know about anyone else, but there have been times ( and NOT only on Saturday last) when I've been tearing what scant hair I've got out at the roots in frustration at the amount of SPACE opposition forwards have enjoyed against us all year!
The goal kicking accuracy issue gets the attention (correctly) but, defensively we've looked awful at times.
I do appreciate, however that another full pre season for Brown, Carlisle, Roberton and Geary/Goddard (?) could well see it sorted for 2018.
Hello again Mr Jiggster

You've been doing a bit of interstate travelling for the Saints the past two weeks. You don't get rested from interstate travel like Roo does........... you must be made of sterner stuff than Rooey!!

Start saving your pennies for next season and Go West young man. We are a rather rowdy mob that sit behind the goals at Subiaco, staring into the endless sun. It doesn't matter how much we are being beaten by, after every goal the 600 of us Saint supporters ( we only get allocated 600 seats for about 1300 Saints members) sing 'Oh When The Saints Go Marching In'. We are never silenced, no matter how far behind we are.

Hopefully we get allocated more seats next season, as we are at long last done & dusted with the Subiaco ground. AFL matches will be played at the new stadium in 2018. It will hold about 25 thousand more seats, so I think the Eagles/Dockers can allocate more seats to opposition members.
I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the move to the new stadium as it's only a 10 minute stroll from my home. On my morning walk yesterday I watched them laying the first lot of turf. I conned a workman into letting me in through the tradies entrance. A good thing about being a sweet little old lady, one has the front to ask to be let into restricted areas, and they never have the heart to refuse me!!! Pity the new stadium will not be not ready for the Ashes Test this year, we will all have to squash in the WACA and swelter once again. Ofcourse, I'm assuming the ACA & CA will get over their bickering and Australia will have a team to play your mob.

As I say, save those pennies for next season & come and see the Saints trounce Eagles and/or Dockers. I promise to buy you a beer........... I put my hands in my purse to buy the dear departed Eastern a beer or two or more, so I think I should be able to extend the hospitality to you - I'll start saving my pennies in anticipation.
It would be great to have you doing your gig in our new stadiums aisles ............ I think Perth is ready for you :P

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The best I ever remember our forward line functioning was under was it Anthony Daniher in 2004-5 era... granted he had a lot to work with but he managed to fit Gehrig, Roo, Kosi and Hamil without them crashing into each other all the time and a Milne and Guerra got plenty of crumbs.

Ever since that time it's always felt like our forward line was too Roo dependent for the most part

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
loris wrote:

Hello again Mr Jiggster

You've been doing a bit of interstate travelling for the Saints the past two weeks. You don't get rested from interstate travel like Roo does........... you must be made of sterner stuff than Rooey!!

Start saving your pennies for next season and Go West young man. We are a rather rowdy mob that sit behind the goals at Subiaco, staring into the endless sun. It doesn't matter how much we are being beaten by, after every goal the 600 of us Saint supporters ( we only get allocated 600 seats for about 1300 Saints members) sing 'Oh When The Saints Go Marching In'. We are never silenced, no matter how far behind we are.

Hopefully we get allocated more seats next season, as we are at long last done & dusted with the Subiaco ground. AFL matches will be played at the new stadium in 2018. It will hold about 25 thousand more seats, so I think the Eagles/Dockers can allocate more seats to opposition members.
I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the move to the new stadium as it's only a 10 minute stroll from my home. On my morning walk yesterday I watched them laying the first lot of turf. I conned a workman into letting me in through the tradies entrance. A good thing about being a sweet little old lady, one has the front to ask to be let into restricted areas, and they never have the heart to refuse me!!! Pity the new stadium will not be not ready for the Ashes Test this year, we will all have to squash in the WACA and swelter once again. Ofcourse, I'm assuming the ACA & CA will get over their bickering and Australia will have a team to play your mob.

As I say, save those pennies for next season & come and see the Saints trounce Eagles and/or Dockers. I promise to buy you a beer........... I put my hands in my purse to buy the dear departed Eastern a beer or two or more, so I think I should be able to extend the hospitality to you - I'll start saving my pennies in anticipation.
It would be great to have you doing your gig in our new stadiums aisles ............ I think Perth is ready for you :P
How lovely! Thank you so much for those lovely words dear Loris! Gee I DO love my Saints pals, and feeling part of our Saints family! I was at Subiaco in 2010 sitting with the Cheer Squad believe it or not! AND we won! I'd love to repeat the act!
Take care dear lady!
Regards

Dave ( Jiggster ) xxxxxxxxx

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
loris wrote:

Hello again Mr Jiggster

How lovely! Thank you so much for those lovely words dear Loris! Gee I DO love my Saints pals, and feeling part of our Saints family! I was at Subiaco in 2010 sitting with the Cheer Squad believe it or not! AND we won! I'd love to repeat the act!
Take care dear lady!
Regards

Dave ( Jiggster ) xxxxxxxxx

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:The best I ever remember our forward line functioning was under was it Anthony Daniher in 2004-5 era... granted he had a lot to work with but he managed to fit Gehrig, Roo, Kosi and Hamil without them crashing into each other all the time and a Milne and Guerra got plenty of crumbs.

Ever since that time it's always felt like our forward line was too Roo dependent for the most part
Didn't we have Leigh Tudor down there for a while also and he was highly rated...

“Yeah….nah””
David-Lee
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
David-Lee wrote:As far as instability as an arguement and using 16 years as to prove a point:
Bulldogs 6 coaches
Terry Wallace 1996–2002
Peter Rohde 2002–04
Rodney Eade 2005–2011
Paul Williams 2011
34 Luke Beveridge 2015

With four H&A games remaining, and in the context of this crazy, inconsistent season, it's entirely possible that we could improve on our win-loss ratio from 2016. I accept however, that it's a huge ask. As a hypothetical exercise, David-Lee, and using your criteria "every year we must get better", how would you have applied that rule to Hardwick and Richmond in 2016? They went backwards at a rate of knots, and missed finals (again) yet here they are now eyeing off a spot in the top four!
It could be argued that Colondud should have sacked mick in 2009 after another finals failure. Next year they were saluting in October!

I would say Richmond are and were at a drastically different place in development than we are...2013 - 8th, 2014- 8th, 2015- 5th and played finals 3 years in a row.
In 2016 things were readjusted in position players to attempt to get deeper into the finals...but with one of tge hardest schedules of 2016 and a few bad choices ( martin chop sticks, yarran trade etc) they faltered. But even so the AFL and Fox Sport listed them with 5 elite players however at 2016 season end we had 2 - Reiwoldt and Steven and BOTH have come off the elite list with Seb Ross almost there.
So I think looking at the snapshot of 2013-16 Richmond did and has gained much ground. However Saints have not and are at best in significant rebuild at least 3-4 seasons from a proper crack at finals.

But that said anything can happen and our best is very good. We have a much harder schedule this year which probably reveals last seasons easier schedule as a bit of a prop up. Although with a few umpiring decisions in 2016 we would have played finals. So goes 2017. We fall short when we could win but this year it is woeful conversions that kill us and inconsistent mids, forwards and okay defense (I think we would have played finals had we had Carlisle in 2016).

I know you dont like it but I looked at our team season stats as you can and we arent improving THIS year and we dont have 5 or 6 elites that will take us forward next season. But we might have a few developing I hope!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Interesting points David-Lee. Nicely articulated too! Kudos!