2018 & beyond, what do we need?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2018 & beyond, what do we need?

Devilhead wrote:We need supporters to get behind the club and not bitch and moan
There was no " bitching and moaning" from our supporters at Adelaide Schitthole yesterday mate, but I do see your point, and endorse it 100%
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Sun 30 Jul 2017 11:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

DMac had a good game this week, let him get another preseason and 10-20 more games and see where he's at.
Acres the biggest upside of that lot, though.
When the penny drops on what it takes to be an A grader ....

Nee!
St Loxton
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Kelly
Rockliff
Lever

End of story!
Hopefully start of story!

SMS
Club Player

McCartin has been injured. Talent wise he is much better than moore or any of them. Have faith.
Same with goddard. Hes been injured. Lets see how they go in 2018 shall we. Or even 2019.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

8cres has to stop handballing to a bloke half a foot away when he's not even ready for it, get a side step or two happening and take them on.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Wombat15
Club Player

Acres has moments of downright brilliance but then he'll turn around and make a dumb decision. Hes the most unaware but most aware footballer ive seen in a long time. As Forrest Gump paraphrased hes "a box of chocolates you never know what youre gonna get". Either way i think the club was hoping for a step up from the leadership group which just hasnt happened. Ross is the only player this year who's genuinely made big strides in their game and its hard when members like Weller is out of form, Dunstan yo yo's but seems to have found his feet, Roberton doesnt control the backline. The jacks although classy are carrying baggage at the moment; Steven cant cope with a tag, Lonie isnt physically up the role hes put in nor is he a clinical small forward (personally dont think hes afl standard), Sinclair doesnt lay the tackle when need does alot of "corralling and zoning" (bit of a front runner), Billings just isn't clinical in front of goal and misses bread and butter shots because if hes going to be soft he needs to be bloody clinical, Newnes just looks lost at the moment. Geary can only do so much, Carlisle i feel doesnt want to take a leaders role as hes only been there for 17 games. You can tell we miss Armo as hes the general in midfield and is a clearance king. But the 'next gen' needs to up their game too many blokes that are just happy to be there. Im really hoping its the lack of midfielders that we are getting outplayed this season.
With that being said 3 things
1. Goal Kicking Coach - need to go back to old school and have 100 shots before and after training.
2. Leadership Group needs a right kick up the arse they've been very poor this year.
3. Mids. I reckon bringing in 2 midfielders and hopefully getting a healthy armo next year will allow richo to start playing Newnes, Gresh, Billings and Steele more through midfield.
Im not jumping off the richo bandwagon unless next year is the same story line. we just have to hope the club brings in reinforcements in midfield and that may allow richo to move the pieces around the ground. theres poor drafting surrounding all this but just get a midfield and i reckon things will be on the up. its all well and good to constantly get the 2nd round onwards right but weve had 7 picks inside 22 since 2013 and none have made "the leap".

Ajantis
Club Player

More experience and game time will produce better results.
Team with a lot of kids and they will mature over time.
Give it time.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:McCartin has been injured. Talent wise he is much better than moore or any of them. Have faith.
Same with goddard. Hes been injured. Lets see how they go in 2018 shall we. Or even 2019.
What does 'talentwise' mean? His draft number?

How is McCartin 'much better' than Moore?

Please explain. In real life. Not imaginary life.

And if you think Goddard is better than Moore then you really are taking the piss.

SMS
Club Player

Last goal is with broken collar bone. He has the talent. 2018 will be his year.

Long Term Injury
Club Player

SMS wrote:

If anyone has an AFL live pass, watch the preseason game against Carlton. Yes Paddy was playing against an inexperienced back line, but so too is he inexperienced. I remember watching Joe Daniher with an essendon mate in his first year or so dominating against Gws Gc etc, but putrid against the rest. This is Paddy at the moment, at his own level he is elite, once he adapts to the big time, he will be quality.
Also on a side, this year was always going to be treading water in terms of ladder position, the coaches admitted as much before the start of the season. But again, this is not bad. We are not the unknown quality we were last season, teams know to expect tough football with us, so they go harder at us than before, we are learning to cope with this this year. With a tough draw sometimes we cope and other times we don't.
The amazing thing about us, is there is a general improvement without any exceptional stand out players. While Ross maybe the exception, there are mainly signs by a list of younger players who this season are learning to contribute in a more consistent manner.
Yes without a doubt these young guys would be better in top teams as other have mentioned, but they are learning the hard way with us, this will hold them in good stead. Now imagine in the next year or so, we start hitting our straps, it is then that the picks in this and next years draft come into a team that is already solid, they have an easier run and a chance to shine earlier.
I still believe we're heading in the right direction.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:

Last goal is with broken collar bone. He has the talent. <insert next year> will be his year.
Edited for accuracy so it can be posted each season

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Long Term Injury wrote:
SMS wrote:

If anyone has an AFL live pass, watch the preseason game against Carlton. Yes Paddy was playing against an inexperienced back line, but so too is he inexperienced. I remember watching Joe Daniher with an essendon mate in his first year or so dominating against Gws Gc etc, but putrid against the rest. This is Paddy at the moment, at his own level he is elite, once he adapts to the big time, he will be quality.
Also on a side, this year was always going to be treading water in terms of ladder position, the coaches admitted as much before the start of the season. But again, this is not bad. We are not the unknown quality we were last season, teams know to expect tough football with us, so they go harder at us than before, we are learning to cope with this this year. With a tough draw sometimes we cope and other times we don't.
The amazing thing about us, is there is a general improvement without any exceptional stand out players. While Ross maybe the exception, there are mainly signs by a list of younger players who this season are learning to contribute in a more consistent manner.
Yes without a doubt these young guys would be better in top teams as other have mentioned, but they are learning the hard way with us, this will hold them in good stead. Now imagine in the next year or so, we start hitting our straps, it is then that the picks in this and next years draft come into a team that is already solid, they have an easier run and a chance to shine earlier.
I still believe we're heading in the right direction.
I like this post, colleague! WAY too much expectation for a finals berth (after missing out last year on percentage) footy, like life doesn't always pan out the way we would like it to, or expect it to.

This has been a season quite unique in its inconsistencies of performances, and we haven't been immune to this.

Call me hopelessly optimistic, but I have a real gut feeling that these next four weeks are going to be VERY special.
We are FAR from dead yet!

Go Saints! GO!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)