What to learn from Liam Jones?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

What to learn from Liam Jones?

We all know the transformation that Liam Jones has made from hack forward to gun defender, but who on our list needs to be tried elsewhere (or in a different manner) before they are discarded or pigeon holed. Here are my thoughts.

Nathan Wright

The game is evolving again to the point where on some weeks you need a never give up tagger. Nathan is fast, strong, dedicated and never say die. He needs to be trained in this role. Whilst he will not rack up huge midfield numbers, he will be more than handy at contests when it is his turn to go and he will stop the other teams best player at creating ball movement.

Darren Minchington

Dominates the VFL as a midfielder and only gets to play as a forward at AFL level, as the coaches prefer others in the midfield. I would love to see him reprogrammed as an attacking half back. He is strong and a lovely kick and could slice through with precise delivery,

Rowan Marshall

Whilst tall, I don't see Rowan as a ruckman and more a Jake Carlisle style player. Would love to see these two tag team between centre half back and Centre Half Forward. So Rowan needs more VFL game time in those positions to learn the trade. Will be a very valuable player.

David Armitage

I love this guy but his full time midfield days are over. Spurts in the middle but playing 80% forward and this warrior will put pressure on, take marks, get crumbs and kick goals. Mav Weller - please watch this guy play the position you should vacate to see real effort and teamwork.

Patrick McCartin

take him back to being a leading forward from the goal square and leave him there. Stop trying to turn him into Nick Reiwoldt or Kossie! This kid is the best lead I have seen since Barry Hall. Give our midfield a strong leading target in the forward 50. Give him room and he would be hard to stop and would be a major headache for opposition. One on one in the forward 50 he will get separation from opponents on the lead. With this available, our forward 50 entries should be less about bombing to the hot spot (where concussion awaits Paddy) and more about quick ball movement to a lead. Membrey would also excel under this strategy.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: What to learn from Liam Jones?

BackFromUSA wrote:
Rowan Marshall

Whilst tall, I don't see Rowan as a ruckman and more a Jake Carlisle style player. Would love to see these two tag team between centre half back and Centre Half Forward. So Rowan needs more VFL game time in those positions to learn the trade. Will be a very valuable player.

I am not sure that he can have "more" time in these roles at VFLlevel as Marshall has mainly been played as a key forward or key defender this season in the VFL. He started up forward, and lately has has more games as a key defender.

He has player very little as a ruck this year. Even at Ballarat last year he played many roles.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

The use of the words liam jones and gun is ridiculous. ...

Crazy

saint4life
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:We all know the transformation that Liam Jones has made from hack forward to gun defender, but who on our list needs to be tried elsewhere (or in a different manner) before they are discarded or pigeon holed. Here are my thoughts.

Nathan Wright

The game is evolving again to the point where on some weeks you need a never give up tagger. Nathan is fast, strong, dedicated and never say die. He needs to be trained in this role. Whilst he will not rack up huge midfield numbers, he will be more than handy at contests when it is his turn to go and he will stop the other teams best player at creating ball movement.

Darren Minchington

Dominates the VFL as a midfielder and only gets to play as a forward at AFL level, as the coaches prefer others in the midfield. I would love to see him reprogrammed as an attacking half back. He is strong and a lovely kick and could slice through with precise delivery,

Rowan Marshall

David Armitage

I love this guy but his full time midfield days are over. Spurts in the middle but playing 80% forward and this warrior will put pressure on, take marks, get crumbs and kick goals. Mav Weller - please watch this guy play the position you should vacate to see real effort and teamwork.

Patrick McCartin

take him back to being a leading forward from the goal square and leave him there. Stop trying to turn him into Nick Reiwoldt or Kossie! This kid is the best lead I have seen since Barry Hall. Give our midfield a strong leading target in the forward 50. Give him room and he would be hard to stop and would be a major headache for opposition. One on one in the forward 50 he will get separation from opponents on the lead. With this available, our forward 50 entries should be less about bombing to the hot spot (where concussion awaits Paddy) and more about quick ball movement to a lead. Membrey would also excel under this strategy.

Good, sensible post. I like it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Minch.

I just do not think tat he is good enough. Club unlikely to ditch Geary and as such I see no room down back when we have Newnes, Wwbster, White, Savage, Webster.

Rice also looks to be a better option than Minch down back.

Wright.

Just does not find the ball enough, and just disappears too much. Time has come.

Paddy.

Key leading forward yes. I think that his main problem is twofold:
1/ That he keeps getting injured or concussed and this has interfered wit his consistency and confidence
2/ That evidently that the club has found it much harder to mage his diabetes that they thought and that this has slowed down the rate of his building his tank at body to the level required . I would be confident that this can be gained eveutally, but hat Paddy is just going to take longer than other similar players. And remeber that his type of player tend to be slow bloomers anyway.

Paddy is a smart player (except on putting his head in harms way too often) and is an excellent mark when up and about. He does need to work on his goal kicking accuracy though.

I have the faith that he will come good for us. He may or may not become a star, but I believe that can at least be a good key forward.

Armo and Steven

Personally I think that our selectors go for way too many small forwards in the team each week. Gresh, Lonie, Long, Weller, Wright, Billings forming teams of three or even four in games.

Really it should one, two at most. Two if Billings is sat playing half forward.

Armo I agree should be rotated through the forward line more when back. And indeed for 2018 hopefully we can land someone likely Kelly. Kelly to me will improve not just our midfield, but our forward line too as it would allow Armo AND Steven to play more time forward.

Freeman will come into the 22 and with Armo and Steven will all be mids that can rotate though the forward line. Gresh if he can build his tank may add to that.

with Billings mainly playing as a HF that to me means that we can end our selectors love affair with playera small forward pack. Only one at most. Maybe Long if he gets his act together or Connellan who is now being trialled in that role and is most promising at it. Connellan is actually not that small at 187cm. But is lightning quick and so could become that forward to run down backman, while also being able to break free.

Setting up our forward line also gives greater depth to our midfield.

CHURN

We need to keep churning our list to find the players thatwe need. It is time to move on some players rather than to re-invent them all.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 30 Jul 2017 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree that we shall become a real threat when we can afford to have Armo and Steven forward along with Billings / Greshall raotating as mids.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The comments on "too many smalls" is quite valid.
They might be quick, but Lonie+Gresh combined got 10 disposals yesterday.

Crazy to have so many in the team.
This is why the forward line is rubbish.
It's an admission by the coaches that our forwards can't be trusted to mark, so have the midgets patrolling crumbs.
Insane, to rely on this game plan.
Get rid of Hamill unless he changes it up in the next few weeks!
He's the forward coach, and the buck stops with HIM.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather have Meatball getting games and gaining experience rather than Lonie. Both yet to establish themselves in the team, but I seem to percieve Meatball having more of an impact in games. I think their averages are very similar, but Meatball is up on goals per game and he isn't as wasteful with footy in hand. Lonie has far too many shots on goal that turn into points and basically that is a turnover.