WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

David-Lee
Club Player

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?

So another year flushed. Excuses from die hards and positive praise from the club for effort...but I ask this...
If the club is building yet it is going backwards does this signal improvement? How? What is the strategy?

We have almost no overall team improvement. Individuals have had improvements. But as a team we have gone backwards in marking, tackling, rebounding, goal kicking accuracy and so many other stats from centre clearances to scoring shots from inside 50 entries.
It is not all doom and gloom. There is always hope. But taking off my rose coloured glasses...we are playing worse as a team in 2017.

So who is responsible?

If I get my child earns a C+ in their grades at school and promise to improve yet hand me D- 12 months later should I rejoice and say oh well this doesnt matter because the principal said you'd be valedictorian in 2 years.

So do I blame the principal or is the teachers or is it the student? Maybe the whole environment at the school is wrong.

A weak kneed scaremonger cried out...if you fire the coach the team will suffer and we will go backwards...where? From 12-14 (where we will finish this year) to 14-16?

Seriously at this pace next year we finish where? Dont tell me in the 8. Prove it. What players with what skill and what proof of statiscal imorovements. What team strategy?

I said this a few days after we beat Richmond and my mates bagged me. I rejoiced too but a few days later I posed the concerning facts about lack of team effort after the half. Yes we were dominant but Tigers were horrific and once they woke up we had no answers...thank god time ran out.

So who is responsible for this backward step? Or maybe its part of the plan?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?

You should be happy your child passes.... however the saints...

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

picks

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I'm not

In red white and black from 73
shrodes
SS Life Member

2016 - After Round 19
9W 9L
1539 Pts for
1695 Pts against

2017 - After Round 19
9W 9L
1542 Pts for
1595 Pts against

Have we actually gone backwards?

We seem about the same as last year based on numbers. Better in some ways (defending against the big guys) and worse in others (set shot accuracy).

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:So another year flushed. Excuses from die hards and positive praise from the club for effort...but I ask this...
If the club is building yet it is going backwards does this signal improvement? How? What is the strategy?

We have almost no overall team improvement. Individuals have had improvements. But as a team we have gone backwards in marking, tackling, rebounding, goal kicking accuracy and so many other stats from centre clearances to scoring shots from inside 50 entries.
It is not all doom and gloom. There is always hope. But taking off my rose coloured glasses...we are playing worse as a team in 2017.

So who is responsible?

If I get my child earns a C+ in their grades at school and promise to improve yet hand me D- 12 months later should I rejoice and say oh well this doesnt matter because the principal said you'd be valedictorian in 2 years.

So do I blame the principal or is the teachers or is it the student? Maybe the whole environment at the school is wrong.

A weak kneed scaremonger cried out...if you fire the coach the team will suffer and we will go backwards...where? From 12-14 (where we will finish this year) to 14-16?

Seriously at this pace next year we finish where? Dont tell me in the 8. Prove it. What players with what skill and what proof of statiscal imorovements. What team strategy?

I said this a few days after we beat Richmond and my mates bagged me. I rejoiced too but a few days later I posed the concerning facts about lack of team effort after the half. Yes we were dominant but Tigers were horrific and once they woke up we had no answers...thank god time ran out.

So who is responsible for this backward step? Or maybe its part of the plan?
Good post but the elephant in the room is Richo, no one else. Initially I was keen to see him surrounded by new assistants but I dont think Richo is that adaptable he has to be the one who wears the responsibility.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The board is responsible for putting personnel into place. After fours years of Richo, we are now sliding down the ladder, and his performance as coach is one of the worse in the AFL win/ loss ratios- after 4 years!. Our team is the worst in the league for conversions and well below the AFL average- after 4 years!. This a massive fail that needs to be rectified and after a review at seasons' end, the board can not ignore these indicators which say it all. As part of a review, the recruiting and development structures should be scrutinised, and there seems to be a performance issue there too.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Tough draw and have kicked ourselves out of two away wins. Have improved heaps.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The club is mediocre from the President to the boot studder.
The only 'elite' staff are the marketing department who managed to suck the fans in for three years. Hats off to them.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Tough draw and have kicked ourselves out of two away wins. Have improved heaps.
How is our draw tough?
We have a million games at Etihad.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CURLY wrote:Tough draw and have kicked ourselves out of two away wins. Have improved heaps.
How is our draw tough?

Been to Perth twice Adelaide twice SCG yeah that's tough.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Let's be serious. The club in every dapartment from the list to members is streaks and streaks ahead of where it was 3-5 years ago. Plus returning to a new Moorabbin next year is massive.

I think we're at about the same point as we were last year..depends on how these last 4 games go though. Our draw last year was easier too.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I didn't do it.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

You know that was a game we should have won against all odds; still have not won in Adelaide and it was down to poor conversion rate and not being able to defend the Port player most likely to kick a goal from a stoppage. I realise I am gutted and in the light of day will appreciate the effort which was mighty but there was no sense of proactive coaching. In terms of individuals Weller tries hard but needs to go, he cannot kick or make clever decisions. Billings needs a psch type coach because his kicking for goal does not reflect his talent. Carlisle was fantastic. Team effort was great and brave, just no collective finesse in the fwd line and again poor decision making, some of which must be set play coaching not instinctiveness. That is down to the coaches. It was for a place in the finals and we will miss because of inept play at crucial stages. I agree, of course, with a lot of the views on this forum that individually the players are v. good but the collective plan is what? That effort deserved a win for the players and the club so I agree with David Lee that whoever is responsible needs to be identified. It wasn't Josh Bruce he was magnificent and some of the small forwards must be mightily embarrassed.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
How is our draw tough?

Both Perth teams are s*** his season.
How many have we played at Etihad?
Not tough at all.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
How is our draw tough?

Both Perth teams are s*** his season.
How many have we played at Etihad?
Not tough at all.
Are West Coast s*** at Perth are they?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Every team who beat us are s***.

Every team we beat are s***.

I think that's how it goes.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
St Lenny
Club Player

We have to be honest moving forward. The cold hard facts are, since last season we have gone backwards. Roo and Joey are done, as much as I hate to say that and we don't have a leader or anyone who is prepared to be a leader. Some players get a heap of possessions and appear to be "good", but the truth is, a lot of these possessions are clangers. Our kicking is deplorable, our goal kicking is deplorable, our game plan is woeful and predictable. Where to from here? Huge question. If we sack Richo, we start all over once again. I feel some, maybe most of our assistants aren't up to it. Maybe Richo isn't. I don't want to believe that. But as a previous Coach once said, the "Jungle drums are beating"............... Lets not waste another year.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:We have to be honest moving forward. The cold hard facts are, since last season we have gone backwards. Roo and Joey are done, as much as I hate to say that and we don't have a leader or anyone who is prepared to be a leader. Some players get a heap of possessions and appear to be "good", but the truth is, a lot of these possessions are clangers. Our kicking is deplorable, our goal kicking is deplorable, our game plan is woeful and predictable. Where to from here? Huge question. If we sack Richo, we start all over once again. I feel some, maybe most of our assistants aren't up to it. Maybe Richo isn't. I don't want to believe that. But as a previous Coach once said, the "Jungle drums are beating"............... Lets not waste another year.
Yet if that ball is touched on the line we are amazing is that right?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Recruitment
It is not that they are bad but that others are much better.
If everything else is equal there should be an equalisation based on draft pick order favouring the clubs lower down the ladder.
But clubs higher on the ladder do a better job by securing better players with lower picks.

Club A has picks 1 and 19 ahead of free agent trading, club B has pick 18.
Club A wastes pick 1 on a kid with superb character.
Club B uses pick 18 on a kid with good skills and heaps of upside.
Club A gets yet another average player with pick 19.

Recent figures surrounding poker machine profits showed St Kilda over $20,000,000 behind Hawthorn.
Only beating Norf who refuse pokies all together.
What is not shown is the other profits from drinks, meals and other sources of revenue at those venues.
That extra cash provides a whole lot more for recruitment and training.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Agree. It's definitely the recruiters. Firstly and for years now, we have recruited a team of deplorable kicks, Several still can't kick with their opposite foot! I watched Hawthorn take the Swans apart on Friday night, with "precise" kicking - something that they have recruited for. Last night, how many times did we kick it directly to the opposition (including at least 3 costly ones).

Why the recruitment of a bagful of average mid-fielders - average skills, average size, average kicks, average pace! Where is at least one elite (or potential elite) midfielder (closest is Seb Ross).

Recruitment may be a subjective skill set, but ours are sitting very low on the recruiting totem pole and have been for years.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Agree. It's definitely the recruiters. Firstly and for years now, we have recruited a team of deplorable kicks, Several still can't kick with their opposite foot! I watched Hawthorn take the Swans apart on Friday night, with "precise" kicking - something that they have recruited for. Last night, how many times did we kick it directly to the opposition (including at least 3 costly ones).

Why the recruitment of a bagful of average mid-fielders - average skills, average size, average kicks, average pace! Where is at least one elite (or potential elite) midfielder (closest is Seb Ross).

Recruitment may be a subjective skill set, but ours are sitting very low on the recruiting totem pole and have been for years.
Yep 1 paced midfield that's ordinary by foot and can't win a clearance under pressure...

“Yeah….nah””
David-Lee
Club Player

What I dislike is Richo's assessement of the outcome which he claims was a 'kick in the guts'....same old rubbish...blame someone else.
A kick in the guts comes from someone...you can't kick yourself in the guts...right?

BUT the loss was not due to an external force but 100% St Kilda staff and players are at fault. A MEGA thumbs up for efforts during the last quarter. But it is meant to be that way...we are supposed to play like a team, like a decent team and yet we have to pat the boys on the poo poo for doing their jobs....Poor decision making, poor conversion kicking for goal, and lack of tackling in the last 3 minutes when it counts cost the game...cost the season.

But no use publically saying we failed...we had a chance but we failed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
St Lenny wrote:We have to be honest moving forward. The cold hard facts are, since last season we have gone backwards. Roo and Joey are done, as much as I hate to say that and we don't have a leader or anyone who is prepared to be a leader. Some players get a heap of possessions and appear to be "good", but the truth is, a lot of these possessions are clangers. Our kicking is deplorable, our goal kicking is deplorable, our game plan is woeful and predictable. Where to from here? Huge question. If we sack Richo, we start all over once again. I feel some, maybe most of our assistants aren't up to it. Maybe Richo isn't. I don't want to believe that. But as a previous Coach once said, the "Jungle drums are beating"............... Lets not waste another year.
Yet if that ball is touched on the line we are amazing is that right?

Have to acknowledge that.