Well done Saints on a 4 Quarter Crack!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We did not win, but we put in today.

Win, lose or draw an aspect I always look for and appreciate is if the team has really put in. Well today they did.

Yes I would have loved a win, but effort like today will keep me coming back despite not winning.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Well done Saints on a 4 Quarter Crack!

I feel much better tonight than in the last two weeks.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Better effort.
But Jesus Christ.
We were like girl scouts versus Sydney.
What I hate reading on here is excusing losses like last week based on some imagined superiority of the opposition.
It's the afl FFS. Not junior footy. There is an equalisation policy. There are no excuses.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Top effort even though they never should have lost in the end. Port were very lucky.

Apparantly we fielded the 2nd youngest side out of any team this round. Add that fact plus we played a side that sits in 4th away from home. This is after we travelled to Sydney only 7 days back and played the form team in the comp.

I honestly think the Saints aren't far off it. The goal kicking and consistency has really cost us this season. Footy is funny as is this very even year...we could potentially win all 4 games from here so who bloody knows. But I doubt we will!!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:I feel much better tonight than in the last two weeks.
I agree.

I felt sick for half an hour and have a cracking headache from shouting at the screen. But all told I was worried they would absolutely cane us, and instead we put in 4 quarters of effort (and 1 quarter where we got our heads right about the location of the 2 big sticks in between the 2 little sticks)

Heaps to work on (we all know that) but so much more encouraging than those woeful performances against the Dons and Sydney.

Carlisle magnificent. White really showed something. Dunny showed why he is worth persisting with.

I have confidence we are still in the right path. But we really need a Kelly.

Always loyal
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:I feel much better tonight than in the last two weeks.
I agree.

I felt sick for half an hour and have a cracking headache from shouting at the screen. But all told I was worried they would absolutely cane us, and instead we put in 4 quarters of effort (and 1 quarter where we got our heads right about the location of the 2 big sticks in between the 2 little sticks)

Heaps to work on (we all know that) but so much more encouraging than those woeful performances against the Dons and Sydney.

Carlisle magnificent. White really showed something. Dunny showed why he is worth persisting with.

I have confidence we are still in the right path. But we really need a Kelly.
We need kelly and about another four blokes with good foot skills

In red white and black from 73
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If anyone here tries to tell me Port are a good side so it's another honourable loss I will go feral.
Port are s***.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

How can anyone be happy with that game win or lose. We are the most disorganised poorly coached team in the comp its embarrassing. Our midfield setups are a shambles when was the last time you saw one of our mids streaming out of a contest running towards goal and hitting a target. They crib side ways backwards then sideways some more before kicking it down the line to sn out numbered forward. Dumb coaching dumb football is the result.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we put in a great effort tonight, which means this is what we have to offer.....bring on 2019

Sainterman
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:How can anyone be happy with that game win or lose. We are the most disorganised poorly coached team in the comp its embarrassing. Our midfield setups are a shambles when was the last time you saw one of our mids streaming out of a contest running towards goal and hitting a target. They crib side ways backwards then sideways some more before kicking it down the line to sn out numbered forward. Dumb coaching dumb football is the result.
I don't understand it either. Perhaps it is part of the reason we dwell in mediocrity? Look at the difference in reaction between us and Essendon (who suffered a similar type of loss in Sydney a few weeks back). Their CEO went off, they were clearly livid. We will do some social media, say we worked hard, and that we will look to improve next week. We accept it, almost like we expect it.

How many times did we kick to 20-25 metres out today hoping for a mark or crumb? It was like just about the only thing we did all day and when we didn't do that we kicked to 3 Port players on their own. You can't play Gresham, Lonie and Weller all in the same forward line, let alone team. Lonie may one day grow up into an AFL standard footballer, and I hope he does, but at the moment he shouldn't be in the side. He missed getting that second free kick after staging the first, it was there, but the umps were on to his staging so didn't pay it. It isn't a trick that works for long in the AFL. Special mention to the umps too, that Bruce non free kick was incompetence at its best. 2 players making front on contact at the same time and no free. Then a soft Impey one at the other end for a goal.

Anyway, here's hoping for a miracle, and somehow we win our last 4.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Thank you, Saintsrising, for starting a sensible thread. Apart from a couple of the usual stirrers we might get some balanced comment here.

How many posters on this sight tipped us to win? Be honest, neither did I. And when the weather was crap we are consigned to a team that plays under the roof at Etihad. It took almost until half time for our team to get some system in its game - not for the want of trying. And maligned players, eg, Luke Dunstan, Shane Savage, led the way back into the game. Many here had consigned Savage to the tip - I've recall many saying his papers are signed. It would appear not. And Dunny has obviously held back showing his obvious talent until Big Mart called it quits from this site. Or, like Seb Ross, he has needed around 50 games under his belt to mature into a valuable AFL player.

An interesting stat during the telecast - the Saints players averaged 40 less senior games experience compared to Port. Which suggests the Club might know what it was talking about when its said 2018-19 is when it expected to be playing finals and starting to challenge.

Yes, we are all extremely pissed with the result. But we should be extremely proud of the effort. Some great moments in the last quarter when I thought we were cooked: Savs 4 bounces and kick which resulted in a goal; Skunks big goal from outside 50 ( I reckon he is our most important forward now); Dunny's snap to put us in front; Jake's intercepts - all night - which kept us in the game. And plenty of others. Hated the last kick of the game though.

Saint supporter since '62
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Well done Saints on a 4 Quarter Crack!

Win, lose or draw an aspect I always look for and appreciate is if the team has really put in. Well today they did.

Yes I would have loved a win, but effort like today will keep me coming back despite not winning.
Why congratulate a four quarter effort....that just should be a given ...

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Well done Saints on a 4 Quarter Crack!

Why congratulate a four quarter effort....that just should be a given ...
Last 2 weeks was not.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We are like a little league club.
When we get thrashed we say ' oh but the other boys were much bigger and stronger'.
When we lose a close one we praise a great effort and pop the party pies out.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If anyone here tries to tell me Port are a good side so it's another honourable loss I will go feral.
Port are s***.
But they are 5 goals better team at home

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Sorry but after never experiencing success in my lifetime with the saints I have no interest in honorable losses...

Ruskin Rat

At over $5 in a 2 horse race, I put a bet on the Saints to win.................Got the money back on the margin...Is that smart???

Well it was a big call considering our history and how we are going against clubs above us.

Regardless of our history at Adelaide Oval this was a must win for the Club ................in reality it was spoiled by an opportunist goal in the last 8 seconds by a smart player who can read the play

If anyone has played in a close games you make sure the opposition leaders get manned up or you pay the price.

We are playing DUMB and being coached by armchair experts

Totally unacceptable

That was a game we should have WON

What do the players do during the week if they continually demonstrate they cant kick straight - go buy a coffee???

You are getting paid a generous kick ...........so go fix IT!!!!!!!!!

What do the coaching staff do in the review when we have been clearly out coached tactically

Look at the other Clubs tactics.............. You are getting paid a generous kick ...........so go fix IT!!!!!!!!!

I could name 3 clubs above us who would have iced that game

50 years of following this club and I am over it

Get serious about WINNING Saints..............

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Thank you, Saintsrising, for starting a sensible thread. Apart from a couple of the usual stirrers we might get some balanced comment here.

How many posters on this sight tipped us to win? Be honest, neither did I. And when the weather was crap we are consigned to a team that plays under the roof at Etihad. It took almost until half time for our team to get some system in its game - not for the want of trying. And maligned players, eg, Luke Dunstan, Shane Savage, led the way back into the game. Many here had consigned Savage to the tip - I've recall many saying his papers are signed. It would appear not. And Dunny has obviously held back showing his obvious talent until Big Mart called it quits from this site. Or, like Seb Ross, he has needed around 50 games under his belt to mature into a valuable AFL player.

An interesting stat during the telecast - the Saints players averaged 40 less senior games experience compared to Port. Which suggests the Club might know what it was talking about when its said 2018-19 is when it expected to be playing finals and starting to challenge.

Yes, we are all extremely pissed with the result. But we should be extremely proud of the effort. Some great moments in the last quarter when I thought we were cooked: Savs 4 bounces and kick which resulted in a goal; Skunks big goal from outside 50 ( I reckon he is our most important forward now); Dunny's snap to put us in front; Jake's intercepts - all night - which kept us in the game. And plenty of others. Hated the last kick of the game though.
It was a filthy day. Hostile and feral crowd. Yes, we should have won. But I'll be buggered if I'm going to heap schitt on those kids for a GREAT effort today!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yawn - accepting hounorable losses .... It's oh so St Kilda

“Yeah….nah””
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Sucked in on all those power supporters who left with 2 min to go ...no heart.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Yawn - accepting hounorable losses .... It's oh so St Kilda
Paying tribute for honest endeavour and effort doesn't equate to "accepting" honourable losses (in my humble opinion)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:
An interesting stat during the telecast - the Saints players averaged 40 less senior games experience compared to Port. .

25yr 10mth vs 24yr 0mth
115.0 vs 76.1

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Honourable losses only win a better draft picks, not premierships.
Maybe we can have another one next week as well.
There's no such thing as an honourable loss, it's just a loss.
Being happy with an honourable loss just makes you a loser and I am so sick of losing, I've had 50 plus years of it.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote:Honourable losses only win a better draft picks, not premierships.
Maybe we can have another one next week as well.
There's no such thing as an honourable loss, it's just a loss.
Being happy with an honourable loss just makes you a loser and I am so sick of losing, I've had 50 plus years of it.
Go to hawthorn then

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Four quarter crack? LOL. Try 3.9 quarters. Seem close enough? It isn't. In the last minute of both the first and last quarters we conceded 4 goals. Four goals in game that had so few. Close enough is not good enough. We've become a club that accepts second best as good enough. Pathetic.