A well coached team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bbm
Club Player

Re: A well coached team

Fair enough there are people who like to be negative about everything but actually we were very well coached tonight. To not see that is to have the negative blinkers on. To provide that sort of effort with all our experienced players out was outstanding. Pretty much all the match ups were spot on and leaving out Marshall was the right move. The future is very bright if you have belief and patience - there is actually no other way.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote:A well coached team doesn't kick 3.12. to 3/4 time
A skilled team does not kick 3.12 to 3/4 time.
We have a team of triers but very few with little more than mediocre skills.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Take a DEEP breath folks! Calm down and see the game for what it was: an arm wrestle. With the outcome determined by what it was determined by. I stood in the rain at Adelaide Oval and was proud of the effort shown by the side. Sure it wasn't the result we all wanted, ( one clown saying pre game he'd be "pleased" with us losing by five goals or less :roll: )
Trust me, those boys gave it EVERYTHING today! Good effort! Lousy return! Such is life! We prepare for West Coast!

GO SAINTS! GO!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

No one but the giys kicking for goal in the first 3 qtrs is to blame for this lost. Should have been 4 goals up at the last break and crushed them in the last.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

bbm wrote:Fair enough there are people who like to be negative about everything but actually we were very well coached tonight. To not see that is to have the negative blinkers on. To provide that sort of effort with all our experienced players out was outstanding. Pretty much all the match ups were spot on and leaving out Marshall was the right move. The future is very bright if you have belief and patience - there is actually no other way.
I can't agree.

54 Inside 50s for 61 points is inexplicable.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:We shouldn't have been in that position. We should have kicked straight. But let's face it, our team hasn't been in that position. We either win well or lose by a street. Do you think those last 2 goals would have happened with Roo and Monty in? Lack of experience in those last minutes; nothing the coach could do IMO
I disagree
We have been giving up easy goals in the last minutes of quarters all year .they don't know how to hold on to it.
Riewoldt in maddies match took a mark with forty seconds to go .it should have been just about the last possession of the game. Instead he had a snap at goal. Richmond got the ball with 20 seconds left ,ran it forward, kicked a goal after the siren.
I know it didn't matter but it was lazy .
We have to be switched on for the entire quarter .
Another area where our coaches are failing.

In red white and black from 73
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

What ever happened to red time?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
takeaway
Club Player

Thoroughly enjoyed the match. Great surge in the last quarter, bit of inexperience in the end cost us. We were under the pump and responded, even in Adelaide.

Very good learning experience, I wonder whether Montagna or Roo would have blocked or told someone to block the back of the pack to stop Gray getting through.

I have no problem with the coaching. So many negative people on this forum. In my view, a most positive performance, augers well for the next few years.

This year we have won in Perth, (almost twice), and almost there in Adelaide, which has been a graveyard for a long time.

bbm
Club Player

[quote="takeaway"]Thoroughly enjoyed the match. Great surge in the last quarter, bit of inexperience in the end cost us. We were under the pump and responded, even in Adelaide.

Very good learning experience, I wonder whether Montagna or Roo would have blocked or told someone to block the back of the pack to stop Gray getting through.

I have no problem with the coaching. So many negative people on this forum. In my view, a most positive performance, augers well for the next few years.

+1

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Tonight shows the value of experience in these circumstances. I'm sure when leading by 10 points with 54 seconds on the clock, the presence of the likes of Roo, Joey and Gilbo, would've been invaluable. Their organising of structures, marshalling of the troops and leadership would've prevented the last goal at least.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the match. Great surge in the last quarter, bit of inexperience in the end cost us. We were under the pump and responded, even in Adelaide.

This year we have won in Perth, (almost twice), and almost there in Adelaide, which has been a graveyard for a long time.
What they said

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
takeaway wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the match. Great surge in the last quarter, bit of inexperience in the end cost us. We were under the pump and responded, even in Adelaide.

What they said
who?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Tonight shows the value of experience in these circumstances. I'm sure when leading by 10 points with 54 seconds on the clock, the presence of the likes of Roo, Joey and Gilbo, would've been invaluable. Their organising of structures, marshalling of the troops and leadership would've prevented the last goal at least.
On the other hand....How do you give young players valuable experience as on field captains and leaders?

You can't go through a period of playing finals like we did in 2004-2011 and expect to keep players from that era going forward. It's going to come at a cost.

If Roo, Joey and Gilbo weren't there for the last couple of years, it would have helped some of the guys learn how to drive the marshalling.

jaxons
Club Player

We are a very sloppy team and have been all year, even in all of our good wins this year we have been sloppy.
Sloppy with all aspects of our game including our skills and decision making.
We are definitely not a well drilled unit.

Gershwin
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Tonight shows the value of experience in these circumstances. I'm sure when leading by 10 points with 54 seconds on the clock, the presence of the likes of Roo, Joey and Gilbo, would've been invaluable. Their organising of structures, marshalling of the troops and leadership would've prevented the last goal at least.
Yes the last goal was very poor. Longer was destroyed, Gray ran around then away from Ross and Billings attempt to cover was insipid.

summertime and the living is easy ........
chook23
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:We are a very sloppy team and have been all year, even in all of our good wins this year we have been sloppy.
On field leader...coaching group?

saint4life
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:2nd youngest team in the league this week - which is a positive

Stevens was a huge out though
SPOT-ON colleague! Spot on!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Devilhead wrote:2nd youngest team in the league this week - which is a positive

Stevens was a huge out though
SPOT-ON colleague! Spot on!
So we are a developing side then.
That's fine and what some of us have been saying all year. NO problems with that approach at all.

Some - including the coach - have been deluded into thinking we were contenders this year.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Are we a destination club though?

That matters more than finals.

We sure need some class, but when eyeing St Kilda the homesick stars must be
thinking, "I dunno ... they seem pretty amateurish ... not much grunt ... poor skills
... poorly drilled ... dammit, I might just go to the Hawks. Or maybe even the Dopers."

lang

St Loxton wrote:But a well coached team can kick 5.1 in the final quarter when it counts. the boys tried their guts out today.
Was a perfect tap, and a class goal that killed us.
wrong a well coached team does not allow the best player from the opposition to be left free with space in front of him!!!
Nor does a good Captain not see this!!

lang

i hate criticising this Captain just doesnt have the skills or the common nouse to be a long term Captain

Yes tried very hard..................but that is not enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PremiershipSaint
Club Player

Richo is a hack. Next year will be another wasted year if we don't sack him. Sadly we won't.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Richo will not get sacked and nor should he this year. If we have a s##t year next year and things turn sour then the club should look at it.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
jaxons wrote:We are a very sloppy team and have been all year, even in all of our good wins this year we have been sloppy.
On field leader...coaching group?
Hard to know if Richo can coach from this far but Jax is right - we've been sloppy all year
In fact we lack structure at times, ball movement is frenzied (awesome when it comes off.....but wheels come off with slightest pressure added).
Is that coach?
I don't know but I do believe we are guilty of overrating some again...we all know we lack class decision makers and quality disposers and let's face it we won't seriously challenge until we change that. That too means recruitment needs to be looked at.
I've no problem with Richo going again next year - I'd like to see a direction that the coaches box around him needs an overhaul...I'd like to see a well credentialed assistant brought in with tactical nous and I would like to see our recruitment team overhauled.

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Ditto what Sainterman wrote. Re IQ: how about Steele and Gresham playing on 45 degrees west to pressure from a free to Membrey easily within range. I'd drop Steele just for that, and Weller for behaving like a puppy at a sheep dog trial; Lonie is too small which isn't his fault. If we can all see it what's going on and the same stuff is served up regularly what value are the highly paid high performance chaps. That last goal was an allegory for all that's wrong/embarrassing/dumb in 2017.
Gresham (under notice to stop lairising) Bruce, Membrey
Billings McCarten Acres
Steven Stevens Newnes
Mc Kenzie Carlsile Webster
White Brown Roberton (colour?)
Foll: Longer Armo Ross
Int: Savage, Riewoldt, Gilbert, Marshall. That side should easily make the eight coached by Shelby the dog. The next tier coaches must be licking their lips to get a hold of a list like that.