Match Thread Saints v Port Round 19 2017

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Match Thread Saints v Port Round 19 2017

SoopaSaint wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:Last 4 games also very lose able. Sorry, we need major changes at the end of the year. We simply aren't tough enough, can't score.
I am happy we won't make the finals because we would just get smashed in the 1st week.
A truer observation has not been made in this forum.

We need major changes... we are NOT tough enough.
Not tough enough??
total garbage.

We are short a couple more class players, yes... but toughness?
You really diagnose that as our problem?

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Feel Dunstan has come back like a force of nature, like the heart he is showing since his return

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:Incredible effort to get back in that in the last quarter. Ports 2nd last goal was very unlucky for us. Took some absolute brilliance in the end from 2 incredible players. 22 blokes out there showed significantly more heart for the saints than quite a few ordinary "supporters" on here.
yeah...let's blame the supporters...great concept

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

our inaccuracy continues to bludgeon us, we got 21 scoring shots (at leas). you have to ask questions about the coaching and the selection now, think Marshall could have been a game winner for us today. this coaching panel has no respect for aerial contest.

generally speaking we've been horrible this year, and have had to put up with a soulless VFL affiliation, won't be renewing my membership next year. if we ran at them more this match it would have been in our laps. absolutely disgusting way to lose the game, unforgivable Saints. major melt. I'm done with Richardson.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Tom_Sainter
Club Player

ace wrote:
loris wrote:Paddy put the ball right down Gray's throat - great ruckwork - tho still should have 2 covering Grey at that stage.
Ryder went too far back for the ruck contest but Longer went back to him.
Ryder runs in the get the tap leaving Londer in his wake.
Longer was not even in the contest.

If you can't win the ruck contest, you can't mark, you can't kick, and you are outsmarted are you a ruckman.
Longer has heart and effort but unfortunately that's about it... If Hickey wasn't so putrid against essendon he would have been playing. That last ruck contest cost us the game in the end and Longer and the slow mids are accountable. I actually like Billy he seems like a good fella but in 2017 as a ruckman you need to be able to contribute around the ground and he isn't up to it

sainters85
Club Player

didn't richo say a few weeks back that Billings reminded him of Gray? :lol:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Might as well have lost by 10 goals- what a soft effort to defend the lead in the end. Very disappointed with the midfield at centre bounces- second to the ball all night. Steven is playing soft and should go to Sandy- his tackling effort near goals late in the game was terrible for a senior player who should be showing the way, and could have kept the ball in our forward line if he had have tried a bit harder. Too many soft efforts from Billings, Sinclair, Steven, Gresham and Acres.. all waiting for the easy ball out the back and not prepared to put their body on the line when the contest was there to be won.

Seems to be a class gap from Carlise and Membrey down to the next rung

Don't ask me about coaching- the headless chicken game plan just doesn't see to be working.
Last edited by spert on Sat 29 Jul 2017 8:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:
SoopaSaint wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:Last 4 games also very lose able. Sorry, we need major changes at the end of the year. We simply aren't tough enough, can't score.
I am happy we won't make the finals because we would just get smashed in the 1st week.
A truer observation has not been made in this forum.

We need major changes... we are NOT tough enough.
Not tough enough??
total garbage.

We are short a couple more class players, yes... but toughness?
You really diagnose that as our problem?
Realky, Sydney beats us up every time, a mentally tougher team would never have lost that game. Would also kick simple goals. Giving up 2 goals within 57 seconds to lise a game is weak.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
The Recruit
Club Player

St.Roly wrote:
The Recruit wrote:We accept mediocraity way to easily at this football club
Just sick of the saints...just not worth it..

To lose with under 2min to play and 10 points up in unacceptable especially with so much on the line

Just trash
See ya later
Gladly

ace
Saintsational Legend

What did McKenzie contribute that Marshall could not.
Did not contribute in the ruck just forced Bruce to have to leave full forward.
Did not provide an alternate target in the forward line.
Meant Bruce had to try to beat a army all alone.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
silverhalo
Club Player

The_Merchant wrote:Incredible effort to get back in that in the last quarter. Ports 2nd last goal was very unlucky for us. Took some absolute brilliance in the end from 2 incredible players. 22 blokes out there showed significantly more heart for the saints than quite a few ordinary "supporters" on here.
+1

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:We accept mediocraity way to easily at this football club
Just sick of the saints...just not worth it..

To lose with under 2min to play and 10 points up in unacceptable especially with so much on the line

Just trash
Ok then we wont accept it anymore

just delist or better still shoot the under-performers

Dunstan anyone?
:oops:

nobhead
Club Player

SoopaSaint wrote:Too many short-stepping arm tacklers in the team to be any good. Thank goodness we don't embarrass ourselves by playing against the men of the competition in Finals! Disgusted. Yes - I should be proud we gave our best. I should be proud that for the past 25 years 'we gave our best.' Right now is about the time I become a little impatient. Clean the place out. Sick of being second to the ball... sick of stylish players with no heart... sick of try-hards in our colours... sick of accepting mediocrity.
I have followed and supported this club for 40 odd years and im sick of the mediocrity as well
But i have a solution and that is i dont give a flying toss bag anymore because theres only so much disappointment one person can take
Im convinced this club will never win a flag in my lifetime doesnt matter who they draft.they just have a looser culture dont reckon that will ever change.

SuperSaint
Club Player

SoopaSaint wrote:
loris wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:Who the hell was marking Gray in that last play??
I think it was Seb at that instance
Hang your heads in shame Billings and Ross. Ross was marking him and Billings stood there and watched him run away. Shameful. Should never wear a Saints jumper - again.
I just checked too. It was Billings who went late. He also almost coughed it up in the goalsquare just before that. Earlier in the quarter he gave it up so easily, forward of the wing, which resulted in a goal to them. Seriously he has no physical presence in tight and gets slung off the ball easily. I don't get pleasure singling him out but have seen enough of him to know that he is one of the worse downhill skiers in the comp and I don't believe he will get much better. Dunstan has a number of limitations but gave his all tonight and White showed plenty of ticker in his first game. Billings' attack on the ball is pathetic.
Last edited by SuperSaint on Sat 29 Jul 2017 8:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

As gutted as I am that we lost - if we actually did win this game we would have been praising our player's guts and endeavor and never say die attitude - couple of more inches and that Gray shot gets touched on the line - I actually thought it was at the time, alas.....

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sainters85
Club Player

SuperSaint wrote:
SoopaSaint wrote:
loris wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:Who the hell was marking Gray in that last play??
I think it was Seb at that instance
Hang your heads in shame Billings and Ross. Ross was marking him and Billings stood there and watched him run away. Shameful. Should never wear a Saints jumper - again.
I just checked too. It was Billings who went late. He also almost coughed it up in the goalsquare just before that. Earlier in the quarter he gave it up so easily, forward of the wing, which resulted in a goal to them. Seriously he has no physical presence in tight and gets slung off the ball easily. I don't get pleasure singling him out but have seen enough of him to know that he is one of the worse downhill skiers in the comp and I don't believe he will get much better. Dunstan has a number of limitations but gave his all tonight and White showed plenty of ticker in his first game. Billings' attack on the ball is pathetic.
I don't know why we drafted him now. Was he like this in the juniors? soft as f*** its ridiculous. His "elite" kicking hasn't helped us in front of goal either. He's the type of player that would need to be play for an elite team cause he cannot get the ball himself

mullet
Saintsational Legend

where were our onfield leaders, they should of been in control and there should of been no doubt out there. Everyone should of known what to do.

Sainterman
Club Player

silverhalo wrote:
+1
I just don't understand a comment like this one. Are we a professional sporting side or not? It isn't an incredible effort to lose a game in that way, come back or not.

Port kicked 2 goals in just under a minute to win just as they did in the first qtr when we gave up our lead then too. And I suspect we have done that many more times throughout the year. 4 goals kicked today in the last 2 minutes of 2 qtrs today. And we played our hearts out?

Then add in our kicking for goal, not just today but all year.

Of course supporters will be frustrated on here. That was pathetic. You want people to watch that? We sit 11th and that's about right for this group at the moment. Anything else is an overate. And sadly, in an even season, we won't be there for finals, we kicked ourselves out of them!

SuperSaint
Club Player

sainters85 wrote:didn't richo say a few weeks back that Billings reminded him of Gray? :lol:
Yeah and the gap could not have been wider today.... :roll:
Last edited by SuperSaint on Sat 29 Jul 2017 8:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

sainters85
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:
silverhalo wrote:
+1
I just don't understand a comment like this one. Are we a professional sporting side or not? It isn't an incredible effort to lose a game in that way, come back or not.

Port kicked 2 goals in just under a minute to win just as they did in the first qtr when we gave up our lead then too. And I suspect we have done that many more times throughout the year. 4 goals kicked today in the last 2 minutes of 2 qtrs today. And we played our hearts out?

Of course supporters will be frustrated on here. That was pathetic. You want people to watch that? We sit 11th and that's about right for this group at the moment. Anything else is an overate. And sadly, in an even season, we won't be there for finals, we kicked ourselves out of them!
Are we a professional sporting side? NO. At least not with our pathetic game plan, drafting and development

BushDave
Club Player

Don't have the cattle.
Carlilsle,Membrey, Ross and Gresham are the only positives from the season. Still nothing up forward with any consistency, weak midfield and stretched backline. Oh,and Longer is nowhere near as good as Hickey.

Never Give Up!
SuperSaint
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:
silverhalo wrote:
+1

Top post. Seeing it exactly how it was. Need to analyze their performance over the 4 bl**dy quarters. If they won they would have stole it but they didn't even deserve the steal with the way they played the last 2 minutes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SoopaSaint wrote:
philtee wrote:So many incidents cost St Kilda that game...twice playing on from frees in the forward 50 and missing etc.
Kicking 3.12 from first 15 scoring shots is another.

Carlisle on his way to being Saints B and F for 2017.
Maybe only Billings, Dunstan or Ross could take it off him.
Ross has no heart. If Carlisle does not win our B&F - that too is rigged. Dunstan on the way to becoming an A Grader.
Crap, crap and more crap, :roll:

shrodes
SS Life Member

mullet wrote:where were our onfield leaders, they should of been in control and there should of been no doubt out there. Everyone should of known what to do.
Average number of games of us was around 70 per player. Port 110.

George27
Club Player

Darth Vader wrote:
thecrevis wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
thecrevis wrote:Jack Lonie is a shocker. How is he in this team.
He's our only goal scorer.
What on earth is your point
Bleeding obvious I would've thought. He's now kicked 50% of our goals so would still keep him.
He finished with only 12.5% of our goals , so can we drop him now.. please ?