Riewoldt, Montagna, Gilbert, Armitage, Dempster and Fisher

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt, Montagna, Gilbert, Armitage, Dempster and Fisher

are all not playing this afternoon. Apparently this makes us the second youngest team this weekend (after the Lions).
I am wondering when was the last time we fielded a team with none of these players in the side?
And when was the last time we won a game with none of these players in the side?
Maybe 2001?
Massive opportunity for some of our next generation of players to make their own history this afternoon.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt, Montagna, Gilbert, Armitage, Dempster and Fish

someone earlier in another post said rnd 17 2005 - no joey, roo, armo or gilbert.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No one playing from both 2010 Grand Final teams

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:No one playing from both 2010 Grand Final teams
Travis Cloke is playing isn't he?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
SaintPav wrote:No one playing from both 2010 Grand Final teams
Travis Cloke is playing isn't he?
Yeah Moods, he's playing.

:roll:

St Lenny
Club Player

Mmmmm not for St Kilda which I presume we were talking about................

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Brown played

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing result, but at least we were competitive with a vastly less-experienced side and playing interstate.Now that we have some younger inexperienced players in the side and given the narrow loss this afternoon, there are several players today who looked down on form and I would consider replacing them with Marshall, Rice, McCartin and O'Kearney or Battle again. If we had won today it may have been a slightly different scenario, but AR needs to hold his nerve and ring in the changes. He must make at least 3 changes as you can't field a side unchanged that kicked 2.12 in 3 quarters (yes, I know we kicked a goal on the 3 quarter time siren but you know what I mean). I won't mention the players who could do with a spell in the magoos, but I really think Marshall, Rice, McCartin and O'Kearney or Battle should get some games in this season and there is no time like the present.
Finals hopes are dashed now, but we can still win most or all of the final four games and I would like to see AR avoid the temptation to play it safe in the final few weeks and rush back the veterans at this stage. He has to stick fat and play the kids. The final game against Richmond at the G should be the game we pay our respects to the retiring heroes, and by that stage they should be over their injuries and ready for a big last hurrah. I would even try Holmes again, in the ruck.
I still think we'll win 12 games, but our percentage will count us out of finals, as it did last year, and in 2012. We are just not ready yet - we still can't beat Sydney, Port Adelaide, Adelaide and West Coast, and as such, we can't realistically think we'll make finals at their expense. We just drop too many 8 point games, including 3 in the past 3 weeks.
We now need to blood the new talent, finish off as well as we can, draft sensibly and hit the trade period hard and try to get Kelly into our midfield 2018.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Disappointing result, but at least we were competitive with a vastly less-experienced side and playing interstate.Now that we have some younger inexperienced players in the side and given the narrow loss this afternoon, there are several players today who looked down on form and I would consider replacing them with Marshall, Rice, McCartin and O'Kearney or Battle again. If we had won today it may have been a slightly different scenario, but AR needs to hold his nerve and ring in the changes. He must make at least 3 changes as you can't field a side unchanged that kicked 2.12 in 3 quarters (yes, I know we kicked a goal on the 3 quarter time siren but you know what I mean). I won't mention the players who could do with a spell in the magoos, but I really think Marshall, Rice, McCartin and O'Kearney or Battle should get some games in this season and there is no time like the present.
Finals hopes are dashed now, but we can still win most or all of the final four games and I would like to see AR avoid the temptation to play it safe in the final few weeks and rush back the veterans at this stage. He has to stick fat and play the kids. The final game against Richmond at the G should be the game we pay our respects to the retiring heroes, and by that stage they should be over their injuries and ready for a big last hurrah. I would even try Holmes again, in the ruck.
I still think we'll win 12 games, but our percentage will count us out of finals, as it did last year, and in 2012. We are just not ready yet - we still can't beat Sydney, Port Adelaide, Adelaide and West Coast, and as such, we can't realistically think we'll make finals at their expense. We just drop too many 8 point games, including 3 in the past 3 weeks.
We now need to blood the new talent, finish off as well as we can, draft sensibly and hit the trade period hard and try to get Kelly into our midfield 2018.
Excellent post!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Meant St Kilda players from both GF games.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

...and it showed in the last 2 minutes. Shades of Melbourne's 10 second loss to us last season (?). I laughed at them letting Monty and Steven off the hook, as we did to Gray.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:...and it showed in the last 2 minutes. Shades of Melbourne's 10 second loss to us last season (?). I laughed at them letting Monty and Steven off the hook, as we did to Gray.
All they needed was someone to stand in that space but they were probably manning up.

It was the perfect set play but we played right into their hands.

I was livid.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Might as well put Harvey, Loewe and Burke in the list.

Geary, Steven, Brown, Roberton, Savage, Weller, Newnes and Carlisle are all seasoned campaigners.
Steven and Weller in particular let us down.

Steven must be injured.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:...and it showed in the last 2 minutes. Shades of Melbourne's 10 second loss to us last season (?). I laughed at them letting Monty and Steven off the hook, as we did to Gray.
All they needed was someone to stand in that space but they were probably manning up.

It was the perfect set play but we played right into their hands.

I was livid.
Very frustrating yes, it looked like a training drill. Saints all on the attacking side of the contest and a paddock in front of whichever Port player won the ball (whether tap or the ball hit the ground)...once it was out there wan't much chance we could stop a goal if the kick was good. Still something only a handful of players could achieve, but Robbie Gray is always a 99% chance. No respect? No awareness? If Skunk could wander down from attack to be in the goal square, surely someone could have left their position and dropped into the hole? Urgh...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Might as well put Harvey, Loewe and Burke in the list.

Geary, Steven, Brown, Roberton, Savage, Weller, Newnes and Carlisle are all seasoned campaigners.

Steven must be injured.

I think so. Saw him grab or hold his rib cage a couple of times last night.

He has either put on weight or has padding or tape around his midriff.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Might as well put Harvey, Loewe and Burke in the list.

Steven must be injured.
Needs to put his hand up if injured, pace is all he has and if that is even slightly diminished he adds nothing!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

There were 8 of our best 25 players missing last night. 8.