Our ruckmen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Our ruckmen

Sorry to say, are nowhere near big boy McEvoy in talent, ability or football nous.

There I said it. Taken me years to admit to myself that once again our recruiters f***ed up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our ruckmen

saynta wrote:Sorry to say, are nowhere near big boy McEvoy in talent, ability or football nous.

There I said it. Taken me years to admit to myself that once again our recruiters f***ed up.
McEvoy probably would have gone backwards had he stayed and our coaching staff had anything to do with him.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saynta wrote:Sorry to say, are nowhere near big boy McEvoy in talent, ability or football nous.

McEvoy probably would have gone backwards had he stayed and our coaching staff had anything to do with him.
+1 The dorks know what they're doing. Having said that it goes to show what can happen if a ruckman actually marks the ball and disposes of it well.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stonecold
SS Life Member

BigBoy is also aged 28!!!!!

How was he at say 23?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

The Hawks taught McEvoy to run instead of waddle.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

One of my female cousins has the opposite of a "green thumb"
Every flower and plant that she buys and puts in her garden, ends up dying.
She has no idea about looking after plants.
My mother, on the other hand, used to enjoy gardening, and our front patch
had the most colourful garden in the street.
Flowers of every colour.

Saints coaches currently are like my cousin, kill everything, no idea about how to nurture.
Other clubs' coaches are like my mum.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:BigBoy is also aged 28!!!!!

True but will either of Hicksy or Longer be stars in five years is the question.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stonecold
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:

True but will either of Hicksy or Longer be stars in five years is the question.
I think one of them will be on par with BigBoy, mind you I don't think he is a Star!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
takeaway
Club Player

Big Boy did not have much opposition - Naismith was injured & Sinclair not a great ruckman and had his great game (as a forward) last week.

But Big boy does well within his limitations. Would rather have a 23 old Longer at our stage though.

longtimesaint
Club Player

takeaway wrote:Big Boy did not have much opposition - Naismith was injured & Sinclair not a great ruckman and had his great game (as a forward) last week.

But Big boy does well within his limitations. Would rather have a 23 old Longer at our stage though.
Even when he was 23 he was a much better mark and kick than Longer

One year will be our year
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Hard to tell, Rosy didn't give him much of a go in development years.
Big Boy could always mark and kick and had good endurance but lacked agility.

BB skills and coordination far superior to Billy, but Billy is more combative.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
one point
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:

Hard to tell, Rosy didn't give him much of a go in development years.
Big Boy could always mark and kick and had good endurance but lacked agility.

BB skills and coordination far superior to Billy, but Billy is more combative.
.....and a far better tap ruckman

Wombat15
Club Player

Longer isnt the problem and i dont know why people keep going on like this. Hes slowly ironing out the issues of hand balling to players in trouble. He is starting to kick more. he's in the league ruck average of tackles with 3.5per, Averages 38.5 hitouts a game. My thinking with rucks has always been they need to be good with the 2 Ts....Taps and Tackles and he holds up in both areas. As long as the eyeball test says he is creating a contest then its fine. we were massacred by other rucks this year when he wasnt playing. even going through the stats he was beating teams when they were throwing 2-3 rucks at him. The bloke holds up his end of the bargain in the stoppages. Hes been given a bath maybe twice this year when he was just downright beaten but cant do much when Jacobs is a premiere ruck in the league.
the problem lies in both the midfields lack of ability to get effective clearances or the second rucks ability to get a hitout. but that second point does come down to poor coaching when we get caught out with Gilbo or Bruce going up against a number one ruck and they just kill them.
Last edited by Wombat15 on Sat 29 Jul 2017 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, he had an absolute field day against the 2 boys that have played 75 games btw them in there 3 year careers...

It's and a well known fact that BB holds up really well against the best rucks in the league... that's why he smashed Longer in the ruck when we played them earlier... oh wait.
But at least he towelled up Hickey last year too... oh wait.

I seriously doubt some ppl's ability to remember stuff that happened prior to last week.

As a 28yo ruck, McEvoy is solid at best. By far the best part of his game is his ability to take grabs around the ground. But he's Tom Hickey level average in the centre and has always been found out when he's playing against seasoned ruckman that can run with him and hurt him the other way.
He's always been prone to getting monstered in the centre... sometimes even by kids 5 years his junior.

To be honest, I'd take Longer ahead of him and if Hickey can get his form back to what is average for him, I'd take him too.

Fickle is this thread

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:Yeah, he had an absolute field day against the 2 boys that have played 75 games btw them in there 3 year careers...

It's and a well known fact that BB holds up really well against the best rucks in the league... that's why he smashed Longer in the ruck when we played them earlier... oh wait.

I seriously doubt some ppl's ability to remember stuff that happened prior to last week.

As a 28yo ruck, McEvoy is solid at best. By far the best part of his game is his ability to take grabs around the ground. But he's Tom Hickey level average in the centre and has always been found out when he's playing against seasoned ruckman that can run with him and hurt him the other way.
He's always been prone to getting monstered in the centre... sometimes even by kids 5 years his junior.

To be honest, I'd take Longer ahead of him and if Hickey can get his form back to what is average for him, I'd take him too.

Fickle is this thread
Yep, spot on. I remember a few games late in his last season with us when McEvoy and Hickey played in the same team. I remember thinking at the time that we seemed to win a lot more clearances when Hickey was in the centre.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Yeah, he had an absolute field day against the 2 boys that have played 75 games btw them in there 3 year careers...

Fickle is this thread
Indeed.

Issue is not about trading Ben but rather is more that we used resources to get BOTH of Longer and Hickey when we had other needs. Should have only secured the one.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Fickle is this thread
Indeed.

Issue is not about trading Ben but rather is more that we used resources to get BOTH of Longer and Hickey when we had other needs. Should have only secured the one.
That is a good point.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Some posters making comments obviously didnt watch Big Boy last night,. Typical.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

And I'd say others haven't seen him play beyond last night.

One game versus having watched him regularly over a few years. I know what scenario I'd base my opinion on

Hey, there's a kid named Mark McGough... watch his game in the Anzac Match when he won the medal.
I bet you thought we shed pay him $800k and make him captain

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Half way through the last quarter they put up hitouts to advantage. 15-5 in Ports favour. I know they got at least one more after that.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ace
Saintsational Legend

We don't have any ruckmen.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Half way through the last quarter they put up hitouts to advantage. 15-5 in Ports favour. I know they got at least one more after that.
Yes
Have said before i don't know what our rucks try to achieve
When they get first hands on the ball 99 times out of 100 it's a tap to their feet. If it does go to our man he usually gets grabbed straight away.

In red white and black from 73
St Lenny
Club Player

The Big Boy story makes me sick. A classic case of a player who is given plenty of opportunity, does little, goes to another club and plays well. Thanks why couldn't you do that at St Kilda. Not that I think he will ever go down as a superstar.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Worth having a look at BB's game vs the power

Lost the combined hitouts by a long way and both Port's individual rucks got more possessions and Ryder hit the scoreboard too...

But by all means if you are that convinced the grass is greener

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Why are we bemoaning the departure of McEvoy? Come on, that was four years ago. We got a first round pick and Savage. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Let's move on!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!