It's Your Call, Rooey!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It's Your Call, Rooey!

That is how I think the club should go about deciding on whether Nick should play on for 2018.

A club legend who has been at the club for almost two decades deserves to make his own call on when to retire or not; it's as simple as that. Rather than ruthlessly wield the axe, a la North Melbourne at Boomer Harvey, you need to give them the utmost respect for putting in the blood, sweat and tears for the club; and the loyalty they have shown for so long.

Roo will know whether we can still stand the heat in the kitchen or not, and he'll be straight when asked if he can.

We don't want to burn bridges with this great champion and Lord knows, perhaps if some rumours are true, it explains why the great Robert Harvey hasn't been back since 2008.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Re: It's Your Call, Rooey!

Robert Harvey came back to the club to work in 2012...

Bring back the Lockett era
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If left up to Roo he will pay himself $800k for the year.

Not as simple as leaving it up to him.

Players always want one extra year.

Gershwin
Club Player

There is so much talk that he keeps McCartin out of the team yet this year he trained to be a midfielder. It is only because of McCartin's injury that Roo has been forced to play key forward.
As a midfielder he adds enormous versatility to our side and has such good hands that he is the ideal link-man and a target from kick-ins with the ability to drift forward and take a mark and kick a goal.
Sign him up for another year, let him have a good rest over summer and see how he goes over the preseason. At the very worst he retires during next season (like Dempster) and that is no huge problem with so many on the list.

summertime and the living is easy ........
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:There is so much talk that he keeps McCartin out of the team yet this year he trained to be a midfielder. It is only because of McCartin's injury that Roo has been forced to play key forward.
As a midfielder he adds enormous versatility to our side and has such good hands that he is the ideal link-man and a target from kick-ins with the ability to drift forward and take a mark and kick a goal.
Sign him up for another year, let him have a good rest over summer and see how he goes over the preseason. At the very worst he retires during next season (like Dempster) and that is no huge problem with so many on the list.
100% this!

Nee!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

How has the tail wagging the dog worked for us forthe last 130 years?

The club is bigger than the individual.

I'm sure a lot feel like me and hope that he makes his own call and the club is spared the decision, but if not and the powers believe he cannot go on hopefully they have the knackers to make the call.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Let him go by all means on if he's willing to be used as a spare parts man on a reduced salary. He deserves respect, sure,
but in our oh-so-close years he was netting a million a year ... when a bit more room in the salary capo might have allowed us
to improve our terrible bottom six (and ergo win a flag). I also wish someone would tell him not to glare at players when he
doesn't get lace-out delivery. That sort of attitude becomes contagious and you get players blaming others when they should be
just trying harder themselves.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Let him go by all means on if he's willing to be used as a spare parts man on a reduced salary. He deserves respect, sure,
but in our oh-so-close years he was netting a million a year ... when a bit more room in the salary capo might have allowed us
to improve our terrible bottom six (and ergo win a flag). I also wish someone would tell him not to glare at players when he
doesn't get lace-out delivery. That sort of attitude becomes contagious and you get players blaming others when they should be
+1 I've seen Lonie do it, for chrissake!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Where the hell did all this talk come from? It feels media-driven and hype-driven rather than reality. He's had a few tough weeks but I feel it's an anomaly.

We're still a 2-3 goal better team with Riewoldt in it.

If he's fully fit, it's a no brainer having him play on. Perhaps he could skip the USA trip this time and just focus on getting himself 110% right for next season.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:If left up to Roo he will pay himself $800k for the year.

I think that's right Con. Doubtless the club would be prepared to pay him 250-300k for 12-15 games next year though if he really wanted them. For my money I think he he'll show what a great clubman he is and has always been and go out on top.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Robert Harvey came back to the club to work in 2012...
And left in 2013 for Colondud

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Gershwin
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Where the hell did all this talk come from? It feels media-driven and hype-driven rather than reality. He's had a few tough weeks but I feel it's an anomaly.

We're still a 2-3 goal better team with Riewoldt in it.

If he's fully fit, it's a no brainer having him play on. Perhaps he could skip the USA trip this time and just focus on getting himself 110% right for next season.
Totally agree. He is not playing all that badly considering he is playing sore. If he falls on his sword then media and supporters have played a part in that.

summertime and the living is easy ........
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Robert Harvey came back to the club to work in 2012...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This is another one of those occasions where I feel the answer doesn't actually have to be all or nothing.

What we know about Roo

1) he's still capable of elite football
2) despite what he says, after a few gruelling games in a row he gets proppy and his performance drops
3) his preparation is elite hence he doesn't have play for Sandy to keep his match fitness up

Every bit of objective data (IMO) suggests, you could have him on the list next season, to play between 10-14 games depending on form, fitness and whether McCartin, Marshall, Battle etc could keep him out

That way we get the best of both worlds... Roo plays at his best, the younins get time to develop

The club can't work it out though... some strange mentality that says it's all or nothing

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

His knees are rooted
They need a rest .
If they come good, he'll be a valuable player next year.
However this may not happen
Still i reckon its his call

In red white and black from 73
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Let him go by all means on if he's willing to be used as a spare parts man on a reduced salary. He deserves respect, sure,
The complete lack of respect for one of our greatest players is just putrid. You have no idea what he was earning at anytime in his career and secondly and any figures written on here is purely a guess. But if it was a mill he was worth every penny of that and he could've done a Goddard and jumped ship for a hell a lot more at multiple times over his career but chose loyalty first.

Roo is an absolute star and we will be poorer for it when he hangs up the boots

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

The complete lack of respect for one of our greatest players is just putrid. You have no idea what he was earning at anytime in his career and secondly and any figures written on here is purely a guess. But if it was a mill he was worth every penny of that and he could've done a Goddard and jumped ship for a hell a lot more at multiple times over his career but chose loyalty first.

Roo is an absolute star and we will be poorer for it when he hangs up the boots

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:This is another one of those occasions where I feel the answer doesn't actually have to be all or nothing.

What we know about Roo

1) he's still capable of elite football
2) despite what he says, after a few gruelling games in a row he gets proppy and his performance drops
3) his preparation is elite hence he doesn't have play for Sandy to keep his match fitness up

Every bit of objective data (IMO) suggests, you could have him on the list next season, to play between 10-14 games depending on form, fitness and whether McCartin, Marshall, Battle etc could keep him out

That way we get the best of both worlds... Roo plays at his best, the younins get time to develop

The club can't work it out though... some strange mentality that says it's all or nothing
A big + 1 there, skeptic.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote:If left up to Roo he will pay himself $800k for the year.

I don't think you have to worry too much on either count there Con.

$800K: My understanding (and I'm open to correction here) is that several years ago now (whenever it was that BJ decided he wanted to become the highest paid player at the Saints :roll: ), Roo took a big cut - from $1mil to $500K a season.

Wanting an extra year: Never met him, but the guy strikes me as being very intense, and demanding of high standards from everyone - including himself. If he can't perform to the levels he prides himself on, I reckon there's no way he'd keep playing.

So, I'm very comfortable with leaving the decision to Roo himself... or more accurately... to Roo's knee.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm of the opinion that IF we manage Nick correctly, then we could get another season out of him ( IF he wishes to go on AND if he is prepared to accept being " managed "). The guy is an absolute legend, an icon of the club, BUT I'd rather see him pull the pin on a great career THIS year, than to end up hobbling around in the VFL next year.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The only decision that would be in Nick's control is voluntary retirement.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I reiterate I think watching Roo play these days is quite sad.
Go back to 2004 - 2012 footage and watch him play and compare it to now!
His speed, running power, agility - unbelieveable and the best for a player of his size in the history of the AFL - without doubt!

Looking at him now:
- He cannot bend below his knees and is gone once the ball hits thr ground
- Has the turning circle of the Queen mary
- Defenders he would have put to the sword and run ragged in the first quarter of a match 3 years ago now keep up with him
- He struggles to get seperation from defenders on a lead
- Maybe this is just me but he looks like a gymnist dismounting the beam every time he lands from a marking contest, the old agility is not there
- He looks frustrated

Champion, hall of famer, legend, top 3 saint of all time, great captain and leader, you could keep writing all day about what he is and has been to the club and competition.
I have met him three or four times and he is polite, a gentleman and great with kids.

But time catches up with everyone and I think it has caught Nick.

Lastly he still pulled out a vintage game for Maddie's match to remind us of his greatness, but what did it take out of him, he hasn't been able to back up since then?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

All jokes aside, one of your better posts ever Corfe!!!!! ;-)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:All jokes aside, one of your better posts ever Corfe!!!!! ;-)
Who is Corfe?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
stonecold wrote:All jokes aside, one of your better posts ever Corfe!!!!! ;-)
Who is Corfe?
Private Joke, Joffa Corfe!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯