I want to see us tackle to hurt.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

I want to see us tackle to hurt.

I don't care if we give away the odd free or even 50-metres. I want the opposition to be sore when they get up so they either think twice the next time they go near the ball, or can't get to it.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: I want to see us tackle to hurt.

We're a good tackling side and maybe the coach emphasises pressure and tackling above other very important facets of the game.

Such as: Getting the ball. Moving it quickly and directly. Converting this into goals.

ctqs
Club Player

Yeah that's a fair point. I suppose what I'm saying is I'd like to see a little more killer instinct.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

We have a couple players who can tackle very well but don't seem to do much else. That's one of our problems

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Oh, so tackling is the key.
How about
-not bombing wildly into forward 50
-not going sideways and backwards all the time
-not handballing to someone who will be crunched (Acres says "thanks for nothing")
- not kicking to one Saint vs 3 opponents

just for starters

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I just want to see more than sweet FA forward 50 entires. If you can't get the ball in forward 50, it's tricky to score goals from 60-70 metres out for some reason.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

How about some of our forwards stay home so we actually have someone to kick it to beyond the centre line.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:Yeah that's a fair point. I suppose what I'm saying is I'd like to see a little more killer instinct.
Yes. The Swans have that in spades and they certainly make their tackles stick. But it's only part of the equation

Wombat15
Club Player

A few blokes have to learn how to tackle first.
Sinclair does too much of this corralling nonsense. Billings just never tackles unless he's forced to. Lonie just tackles in a dumb fashion. My thinking for him is that he's 10cm too short for the role he wants and 10kg too light to be playing the role he does. He continuously gets brushed Aside in tackles and it's embarrassing to watch. I'd rather see him go the waist and pin an arm. He goes too high in his tackles and they just brush him aside.
Apart from those I think we are mostly a good tackling side but this zonal defending and corralling we've been doing as of late is just plain stupid.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I will say, Buddy Franklin should have been limping off the field after that bump on him.
We have to be more ferocious. More killer instinct. Nobody wins grand finals on softness.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lots of soft ineffective tackles on Saturday.

Mostly they didn't stick

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
elizabethr
Club Player

Bring back Armo !

nothing to say
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:We're a good tackling side and maybe the coach emphasises pressure and tackling above other very important facets of the game.

Such as: Getting the ball. Moving it quickly and directly. Converting this into goals.
I think we CAN be a good tackling side - when we're on / seem interested / game plan is going our way. But - one of the defining features when we're struggling, is how easily teams walk through us. Missed tackles everywhere.

And then we still struggle with basic skill execution as well. Doesn't make for a finals-bound team :(

Go you red, black & white warriors
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Too many nice guys in the side Webster, Armitage, Stevens and Weller are the only players with any aggression, the rest are private school angels.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Too many nice guys in the side Webster, Armitage, Stevens and Weller are the only players with any aggression, the rest are private school angels.
Clearly you are not a private school boy - there were no angels where I went - including one guy who actually attacked another kid with a bull whip!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote:
bigcarl wrote:We're a good tackling side and maybe the coach emphasises pressure and tackling above other very important facets of the game.

I think we CAN be a good tackling side - when we're on / seem interested / game plan is going our way. But - one of the defining features when we're struggling, is how easily teams walk through us. Missed tackles everywhere.

And then we still struggle with basic skill execution as well. Doesn't make for a finals-bound team :(
Good points. I'm just making the case that there is a lot more to winning than tackling well. Obviously, if you are tackling it means you don't have the ball.

I know Richo emphasises putting pressure on our opponents when they have it. That's fine and very important. There's got to be an equal emphasis on what we do when we have the ball and when it is in dispute.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote:

Good points. I'm just making the case that there is a lot more to winning than tackling well. Obviously, if you are tackling it means you don't have the ball.

I know Richo emphasises putting pressure on our opponents when they have it. That's fine and very important. There's got to be an equal emphasis on what we do when we have the ball and when it is in dispute.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Clearly you are not a private school boy - there were no angels where I went - including one guy who actually attacked another kid with a bull whip!
but thats just another Carey hazing tradition

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

elizabethr wrote:Bring back Armo !
I think the best tackler in the side is Gilbert by a QLDer mile

Seeya
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
but thats just another Carey hazing tradition
Nope - not Carey - this kid was as mad as a cut snake, from the bush, and intent on causing severe injury.

Then there was the time we all got a detention for something that did not actually happen - funny to see a kid chased across the oval by a horde of angry 16 yo's intent on extracting mob justice.

But that was 34 years ago.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!