Changes vs. Port - Roo rested

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Changes vs. Port - Roo rested

Roo to be rested and Joey to miss with hammy:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kil ... 19babf1c5b
ST KILDA will get an early look at life after its ageing champions this week with Nick Riewoldt set to be rested as Leigh Montagna begins his comeback from a torn hamstring.

But Saints coach Alan Richardson was hopeful Montagna’s career was not over after the veteran suffered the soft-tissue injury in Saturday night’s loss to Sydney at the SCG.

With back-to-back interstate matches, St Kilda planned to sit Riewoldt out of Saturday’s trip to face Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval to help him stay fresh for the final four games of the season.
Who comes in?

With Roo out it would seem there is still a spot for Marshall up forward with Bruce and Membrey.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes vs. Port - Roo rested

Marshall showed enough to deserve another run. Be interesting if Mav or Long comes back for Lonie, or we yet again flog the dead horse in playing wright, minch, or really roll the dice and play Battle again.
Whatever changes we make there's a few mids who have been really poor in one or both games - Stevens, Steele, Sinclair, Newnes - all need to do better if we're a chance.
Would like to have a look at Rice for Joey.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Armo

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Outs - Rooey (rested), Joey (inj), Lonie (dropped)
Ins - Membrey, White, Weller/Long (Could also bring Rice in and play Savage forward)

Armo is being managed as he has missed 14 weeks. He played 60 minutes game time on the weekend, is then playing 80 minutes next week and then a full game the week after.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Outs - Rooey (rested), Joey (inj), Lonie (dropped)
Ins - Membrey, White, Weller.
Yep.

Good to have Membrey back. We need to find a way to give him and Bruce some space.

The forward line is way, way too congested.

Time after time this season we've had it bottled up in our forward 50 and then been punished on the rebound.

Easy pickings for the Swans.

I'm looking forward to seeing White again. Thought we may have uncovered a player last season when he made his debut, so it was disappointing to hear he came back from summer with a massive fat guts.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Right now I don't think it matters who comes in or out- the playing group looks stuffed and disinterested and Richo obviously has no motivational skills, so most of it will depend if the group decides to have a crack or not.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Is McCartin going to be cleared to play? If so, he's got to come straight back in.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Port have a similar crap game style as us so we might be competitive against them.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:Is McCartin going to be cleared to play? If so, he's got to come straight back in.
Not sure I agree - I don't think it sends the right message bringing a player back in from injury straight back into the seniors after a decent layoff. I feel like he must play at least one VFL game before we bring him back in.

kazonte13
Club Player

After watching Sandy play Weller looks ready to come back in prob for Lonnie but NOK looks a prospect if he can be upgraded,a small like lonie but better skills, faster and tackles stick . Connellan with 3 goals is very quick and hope he continues improving ,and get a taste of the big league by years end .

Hickey looks great at vfl level ,extra midfield with 28 touches and a goal and would be better doing Marshalls job.

Battles taste of AFL turned into his best game for the year with four goals but Membery will come straight back in.

White was good down back liked his kicking and hope to see him play by years end.

Can't wait for Armo to come back in he looked great in and under for 60 minutes of footy he said another two weeks.

Out Roo Monty Marshall Lonie In Membrey Weller Hickey NOK/White
Last edited by kazonte13 on Mon 24 Jul 2017 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Roo won't be happy to be rested.
Being a 300 game player, he gets to decide whether or not he plays.

Richo and the other coaches pick the team only after consulting with St Nick to see if he wants to play

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

spert wrote:Right now I don't think it matters who comes in or out- the playing group looks stuffed and disinterested and Richo obviously has no motivational skills, so most of it will depend if the group decides to have a crack or not.
God you post some s***. Two weeks ago we flogged a top four team and within the space of two weeks Richo has no motivational skills and the team are disinterested?
<edited by mods>

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

spert wrote:Right now I don't think it matters who comes in or out- the playing group looks stuffed and disinterested and Richo obviously has no motivational skills, so most of it will depend if the group decides to have a crack or not.
God you post some s***. Two weeks ago we flogged a top four team and within the space of two weeks Richo has no motivational skills and the team are disinterested?
<edited by mods>

spert
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
<edited by mods>
Two weeks ago Richmond took us easy for a half and we revved up for the worthy cause. After half time they got back to their top 4 form and beat us for the half,..remember that? We haven't won a half of footy since then. Two floggings in a row isn't just off the boil buddy, that's s***. But I'll take your response as a compliment- you're always good for a laugh.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
<edited by mods>
Two weeks ago Richmond took us easy for a half and we revved up for the worthy cause. After half time they got back to their top 4 form and beat us for the half,..remember that? We haven't won a half of footy since then. Two floggings in a row isn't just off the boil buddy, that's s***. But I'll take your response as a compliment- you're always good for a laugh.
+1

Tigers did what they do best. They got ahead of themselves before the game
and the half-time break gave them time to listen to the coach and regroup.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Wombat15
Club Player

Roo has to be rested he could barely move on Saturday night. Just out of curiousity do we think Stevens could be in trouble for the coat hanger on Parker? Or not enough in it?

Definitely feel; WhIte, Rice and Membrey have to play.
Lonie, Roo and Joey out. Then you just rotate acres, Steele, Dunstan and Stevens through that small forward role when required. I'd persist with Marshall though he certainly eases the load on Bruce. We need Rice and White down back Though. Gilbo out left a massive hole down there.

older saint
SS Life Member

Interesting week , I think either White or Rice need to come in for Joey. Amazing what a bit of hunger will provide - Savage has been good after being made to work hard to get back in .
Membrey for Roo obvious

Interesting beyond that really with Weller probably next cab off the rank , perhaps Lonie

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Wingard is out with an ankle??

Also reported on BF that a few other Port players didn't train yesterday

We have a great chance to beat them as long as we find some mojo

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

current betting odds are
Port $1.21, Marshmallows $4.40

The line is 29.5 (similar to Sydney game)

They only kicked 9 goals last week, are Port sliding down, or will we run them into form?
Our spuds let some no-name Swan kick 5 goals.
We let the Injectors behave like it was a training drill.
We gave the Crows a token effort like it was an intraclub game for them.

Which team will step off the plane at Adelaide? Will it be the Peters Ice Cream Vanilla Delights?
Or will it be the team that put a torch to the Tigers for 2 quarters?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

This week must be one of our youngest teams for a long time with Rooey, Joey, Gilbo & Armo all out.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Either McCartin comes in, purely to get games into him (if he's fit) or we can this rubbish '3 talls' thing.

It's a bust. Hasn't worked. We are the only team to have 3 talls (Bruce, Roo, Membrey) in the Top 20 for Marks Inside 50, and as a result we sit 5th in the Comp for Marks Inside 50. Only Adelaide, Port, Richmond, Sydney are above us.

Yet we sit 11th in Points For.

So this could suggest that we are executing our method well, in the sense that we're playing 3 talls and they're taking marks inside 50. But the method itself doesn't work. It's outdated.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:current betting odds are
Port $1.21, Marshmallows $4.40

The line is 29.5 (similar to Sydney game)

They only kicked 9 goals last week, are Port sliding down, or will we run them into form?
Our spuds let some no-name Swan kick 5 goals.
We let the Injectors behave like it was a training drill.
We gave the Crows a token effort like it was an intraclub game for them.

Which team will step off the plane at Adelaide? Will it be the Peters Ice Cream Vanilla Delights?
Or will it be the team that put a torch to the Tigers for 2 quarters?
GO "marshmallows" GO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Us "marshmallow" supporters will be barracking for you down at the Adelaide Oval on Satdee! :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Turbo
Club Player

Whomever they bring in i hope they are suited to wet weather football. Looks like there's a fair chance of rain.

Some time soon.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Turbo wrote:Whomever they bring in i hope they are suited to wet weather football. Looks like there's a fair chance of rain.
Last year, just before Rd 23 against Tigers, tony74 told us that Holmes was picked because "it's wet so marking around the ground is not an issue- and Holmes is good at ruckwork"

I seem to recall Holmes getting 40 hitouts a few weeks ago in the VFL, can he come in as first ruck maybe?
Just a question

ace
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Is McCartin going to be cleared to play? If so, he's got to come straight back in.
to the development team.

I hate to say it but the best thing for McCartin would be if he were to retire at season's end and spare himself the brain damage of further concussions.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.