Goodbye 2017

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Goodbye 2017

Bruce G McAbee wrote:Regarding Saturday night, Hawthorn were the only team that has beaten Sydney since they started this run. I woder if Nr Richardson spent anytime watching that game to see how Hawthorn did it.
Actually it wasn't hard, they beat Sydney at their own game, came prepared and executed it.
Hm - then it will be interesting to see if they can do it again on Friday. I know I'll be tipping Sydney.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Bruce G McAbee wrote:Regarding Saturday night, Hawthorn were the only team that has beaten Sydney since they started this run. I woder if Nr Richardson spent anytime watching that game to see how Hawthorn did it.
Actually it wasn't hard, they beat Sydney at their own game, came prepared and executed it.
Indeed he did, because we played the Swans and the SCG in the precise manner Hawthorn did in their victory over the Swans.

Unfortunately, the Swans had learned from their loss to Hawthorn and weren't about to let it happen again. They allowed Hawthorn uncontested marks as the Hawks chipped it around. They made a point of not giving us that opportunity and worked really hard to pull it off. This completely nullified our ability to launch from defence.

One of Richo's strengths is his analysis of opposition and working out ways to break them down. He worked out GWS and its no accident that they've dropped off since (aside from injuries). He dismantled Richmond with the assistance of of good execution from the team, utterly broke them down.

So he actually did what you criticised him for not doing. There is no other team in the competition at this time, that could beat Sydney in that sort of form, particularly on the SCG, they were awesome.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Indeed he did, because we played the Swans and the SCG in the precise manner Hawthorn did in their victory over the Swans.

Unfortunately, the Swans had learned from their loss to Hawthorn and weren't about to let it happen again. They allowed Hawthorn uncontested marks as the Hawks chipped it around. They made a point of not giving us that opportunity and worked really hard to pull it off. This completely nullified our ability to launch from defence.

One of Richo's strengths is his analysis of opposition and working out ways to break them down. He worked out GWS and its no accident that they've dropped off since (aside from injuries). He dismantled Richmond with the assistance of of good execution from the team, utterly broke them down.

So he actually did what you criticised him for not doing. There is no other team in the competition at this time, that could beat Sydney in that sort of form, particularly on the SCG, they were awesome.
What about the Bombers game?
They were awesome and unbeatable as well?
Richmond simply had an off day.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Really? Hmmmmmmm? Anyone for a seance? Oh wait on! Wrong thread :oops: SORRY! Goodbye 2018 too? Oh to hell,with it! Let's round it up.......goodbye 2020! :lol: :lol: :lol: (unless we can get Yabby back.....OR the Lone Ranger!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
David-Lee
Club Player

:D

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Actually, forget the Lone Ranger, this is a job for SUPERMAN! :lol: :lol:

damienc
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:Really? Hmmmmmmm? Anyone for a seance? Oh wait on! Wrong thread :oops: SORRY! Goodbye 2018 too? Oh to hell,with it! Let's round it up.......goodbye 2020! :lol: :lol: :lol: (unless we can get Yabby back.....OR the Lone Ranger!

Well I don't think you need a crystal ball or a seance to know what teams we are playing between now and the end of the season.

Starting with Port Adelaide in Adelaide, a notorious graveyard for the saints and then the Dees the week after who are in ominously good form, at the right time, unlike us.

Based on the past two weeks we would be unlikely to win either of those games I would have thought.

But I do admire your optimism.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Superman plays for the Cats according to media but reportedly occasionally dives when tackled/kyptonited so would be vulnerable. Lone ranger plays for Crows (Tonto is forward pocket). Winning 4 of the last games and several finals without a super hero is a hard but not unreasonable ask from the loyal 42k - maybe the X-men/women could help. I see wolverine as an attacking mid. Nevertheless a competitive showing using non mutants is v. important to Alan's credibility and keeping Hawthorn's first draft pick below ours. How else can we draft Wonder Woman next year.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote:Superman plays for the Cats according to media but reportedly occasionally dives when tackled/kyptonited so would be vulnerable. Lone ranger plays for Crows (Tonto is forward pocket). Winning 4 of the last games and several finals without a super hero is a hard but not unreasonable ask from the loyal 42k - maybe the X-men/women could help. I see wolverine as an attacking mid. Nevertheless a competitive showing using non mutants is v. important to Alan's credibility and keeping Hawthorn's first draft pick below ours. How else can we draft Wonder Woman next year.
:lol:

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:
Yorkeys wrote:G'day Alan, the Board thinks there should be a briefing for the fans and sponsors about where the team is at and where its going, any real positives to look forward to?

Well Matt, uhm arr, our review processes are best practice and really piss poor efforts only serve to sharpen the focus on Mondays. I feel we are really close to understanding why the team appears to be stagnating.....

Goodo Alan, but how about making the finals......

Cant focus on outcomes Matt, its the process....

Ok Alan, so about the process of appointing a senior Coach.....any thoughts on criteria....
Alan has to insert 'positive' , 'pleasing' and 'strong'

Matt: Alan, why does the team fall in a heap and panic when they face any sort of pressure?
Alan: <crickets chirping>
Alan also needs to insert the word 'incredibly'. As if throwing more adjectives at us make his press conferences more listenable. I'm at a point now where I find him embarrassing to listen to. Monotone and lifeless.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:
Yorkeys wrote:G'day Alan, the Board thinks there should be a briefing for the fans and sponsors about where the team is at and where its going, any real positives to look forward to?

Well Matt, uhm arr, our review processes are best practice and really piss poor efforts only serve to sharpen the focus on Mondays. I feel we are really close to understanding why the team appears to be stagnating.....

Ok Alan, so about the process of appointing a senior Coach.....any thoughts on criteria....

Matt: Alan, why does the team fall in a heap and panic when they face any sort of pressure?
Alan also needs to insert the word 'incredibly'. As if throwing more adjectives at us make his press conferences more listenable. I'm at a point now where I find him embarrassing to listen to. Monotone and lifeless.

Go you red, black & white warriors
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

Yes, his charisma ratings are WAY down compared to say..... Buckley. On the other hand, Buckley's on-field ratings are WAY down compared to say........ Richo?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I knew where we were after the first Sydney game, the diff between us and a good team. was thinking at the start of this year we were on the way...have learnt since then we have stalled, was hoping for a better 2018 but now it maybe 2019 as I can't see us being world beaters with what we have. Draft and trade table may swing things in our favour at the end of this season , if not 2019.

I simply cannot find my rose coloured glasses.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I knew where we were after the first Sydney game, the diff between us and a good team. was thinking at the start of this year we were on the way...have learnt since then we have stalled, was hoping for a better 2018 but now it maybe 2019 as I can't see us being world beaters with what we have. Draft and trade table may swing things in our favour at the end of this season , if not 2019.

That's okay colleague :D you can borrow mine if you wish? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I knew where we were after the first Sydney game, the diff between us and a good team. was thinking at the start of this year we were on the way...have learnt since then we have stalled, was hoping for a better 2018 but now it maybe 2019 as I can't see us being world beaters with what we have. Draft and trade table may swing things in our favour at the end of this season , if not 2019.

Well we definitely got a struggling Sydney's season off to a good start in Round 9, and helped Essendon into the eight with our lack of effort a couple of weeks ago. We need more than a few tweaks to get this ship back on course.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:

That's okay colleague :D you can borrow mine if you wish? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
what would you do without them ? ;)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

Find Thomas the Tanking Engine.

I dunno.

I'm torn.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

hmmmmmmm? be a miserable twat? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

spert wrote:

Well we definitely got a struggling Sydney's season off to a good start in Round 9, and helped Essendon into the eight with our lack of effort a couple of weeks ago. We need more than a few tweaks to get this ship back on course.
The Tigers have this way of losing games that they should win. They have other weird habits too.
Saints historically run other teams and players into form.
-Baroose drops to VFL, his direct opponent gets 26 touches and 12 marks, having previously been a total spud.
- We run Swines into form; We helped Injectors when they needed it;
- Saints let some nobody hack get 5 easy goals. One lovely gift was letting 5' 9" Montagna go one on one in the square with him.

I remember going for my motorbike licence years ago, my instructor said "the assessor is known as Santa Claus, he hardly ever fails anyone, you'll be right'
He follows the Saints culture, obviously.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Fiery, I think I recall you once saying it's better to maintain low expectations as Saints supporter; that way you'll never end up too disappointed.

This seems like a very pragmatic philosophy to have. I might have to adopt it myself!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:

Fiery, I think I recall you once saying it's better to maintain low expectations as Saints supporter; that way you'll never end up too disappointed.

This seems like a very pragmatic philosophy to have. I might have to adopt it myself!
I'm envious of your memory ;)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

hmmmmmmm? be a miserable twat? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you get used to it ;)

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Really? Hmmmmmmm? Anyone for a seance? Oh wait on! Wrong thread :oops: SORRY! Goodbye 2018 too? Oh to hell,with it! Let's round it up.......goodbye 2020! :lol: :lol: :lol: (unless we can get Yabby back.....OR the Lone Ranger!

Well I don't think you need a crystal ball or a seance to know what teams we are playing between now and the end of the season.

Starting with Port Adelaide in Adelaide, a notorious graveyard for the saints and then the Dees the week after who are in ominously good form, at the right time, unlike us.

Based on the past two weeks we would be unlikely to win either of those games I would have thought.

But I do admire your optimism.
Except we don't play the Dees next week, we play the Eagles at Etihad. We can beat Melbourne anyway. Agree with you about Port though, this week's game has an air of disappointment all over it.
Can see us bouncing back and winning the next three after it though, and then we have Richmond at the G, which is 50/50. Could be a lot riding on that game.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:

I go to the game with NO expectations.....either high, or low. However I ALWAYS go to the game with BELIEF that we can win!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:

I go to the game with NO expectations.....either high, or low. However I ALWAYS go to the game with BELIEF that we can win!