Spear tackle on Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spear tackle on Geary

saintspremiers wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
St DAC wrote:Nothing in it for mine. Great tackle.
Great tackle?!?!

I assume you also have a boner for Heeney.
Gold!

So spear tackles are fine if you play for a lovechild team and luck has it Gears want injured/a paraplegic.

f*** you MRP
Luck? Pbly the fact that there was no real force in the tackle played more of part. A free kick was right

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Fortunately Gears had the ball in both hands when he hit the ground and it cushioned his head. Had be dropped the ball - KO'd for sure. As said elsewhere, the intent to injure was there. Fortunately, no injury. Heeney is very, very lucky.

Saint supporter since '62
Ellaandjohn
Club Player

A free kick was the correct result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Great tackle?!?!

Gold!

So spear tackles are fine if you play for a lovechild team and luck has it Gears want injured/a paraplegic.

f*** you MRP
Luck? Pbly the fact that there was no real force in the tackle played more of part. A free kick was right
No real force?!?! He picked him and dumped him. It was dangerous and negligent. But hey, he has a background in rugby, so it's okay.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
skeptic wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Great tackle?!?!

Gold!

f*** you MRP
No real force?!?! He picked him and dumped him. It was dangerous and negligent. But hey, he has a background in rugby, so it's okay.
Didn't pick him up. Gears pretty much jumped into his arms. Thought the umpire handled it correctly. Free kick. Heeney was already committed to the tackle and didn't turn him in it in my view. Fair enough call.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
skeptic wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Great tackle?!?!

Gold!

f*** you MRP
You're saying he speared him and dumped him forcibly... that's why Geary went off with a concussion is it?

Was Geary even hurt? Was he winded?

elizabethr
Club Player

MRP got it right for once.

nothing to say
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:I think it was Heeney who laid the spear tackle on Gears. It looked very dangerous as Geary had no chance of protecting himself in the fall.

Do posters think the MRP will look at it?

Commentators mentioned it was dangerous, but went on in glowing terms how the player was schooled in rugby tackling, even though such tackles are outlawed in rugby. Commentators are in love with Heeney.

Any lesser player than our courageous captain would have milked it for all it's worth and at least got a 50 metre penalty.

The way he put him down, slinging Gears neck and shoulder into the turf was frightening to see. I expected Gears bad shoulder to at least be injured.

Good on Gears, for showing it takes more than a dangerous, cowardly spear tackle to stop him.

I hope at least Heeney (?) gets a fine for his cowardly act - though I believe the act deserves a suspension.
Cowardly? Surely you jest?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Geary jumped in the air before being tackled around the waist and taken to ground. He wasn't dumped head first so no spear tackle. Frankly it wasn't even a free kick IMO.

And no, I don't have a boner for Heeney or in fact any AFL player. I just try to see things factually rather than emotionally. YMMV.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

no problem with it. free kick given it's afl, but no lifting. just a great tackle. we'd love to see geary do that to heeney.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
skeptic wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Great tackle?!?!

Gold!

f*** you MRP
You're saying he speared him and dumped him forcibly... that's why Geary went off with a concussion is it?

Regardless of whether not Geary jumped or was injured from it is beside the point. Heeney applied a spear tackled which is outlawed from the game. The point is it was potentially dangerous and unnecessary. If it was a St.Kilda player, they would have got a week, minimum. Bloody Swines always get away with this, it's bloody bullsh!t!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Regardless of whether not Geary jumped or was injured from it is beside the point. Heeney applied a spear tackled which is outlawed from the game. The point is it was potentially dangerous and unnecessary. If it was a St.Kilda player, they would have got a week, minimum. Bloody Swines always get away with this, it's bloody bullsh!t!
if they deemed he didn't lift (and it didn't look like he did) then it isn't a spear tackle.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
if they deemed he didn't lift (and it didn't look like he did) then it isn't a spear tackle.
Look at the replay. Yep, looks like a spear tackle to me. Even the commentators are saying it is. Hmmmm...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/ ... kle!634235

saynta
Saintsational Legend

So the little white haired boy got off.

Typical.

Viking3
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
A spear tackle is not just about the lifting motion, it also involves taking him beyond horizontal. And that is what Heeney did!

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Look at the replay. Yep, looks like a spear tackle to me. Even the commentators are saying it is. Hmmmm...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/ ... kle!634235
Yes
Geary is so lucky with the way he positions his arm.
If it was straight he would've sustained some sort of shoulder injury.
If his arm was tucked into his body anything could have happened.
The AFL have been very lucky regarding on field incidents leading to serious spinal injuries. Absolute joke that no action was taken.
When a player goes past the horizontal, they are in the lap of the gods.

In red white and black from 73
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
skeptic wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Great tackle?!?!

Gold!

f*** you MRP

And they paid a free kick against him