Over reaction

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Over reaction

While I understand the angst and frustration following a loss let's be real:

- Fact: Sydney are now 9-1 in their last 10 games and the form side of the competition. They have made limited changes in that time and beaten top 8 sides GWS, Richmond, Melbourne,Essendon and Stkilda (2) and WB. They lost the GF last year and rarely lose at SCG
- Fact: Player for player we fall short against top sides on talent and experience
- Fact: We haven't beaten Sydney up there i believe since 2009?
- Fact : we were around 30 point underdogs going into the game.

As much as this team cannot be satisfied with losses and to get better you must beat this team no one honestly really expected us to win did they? ( take off the glasses ).

I jump on here and see people wanting coaches, recruiters, players all sacked and start again.

Take a breath. I think the Richmond game made everyone ( perhaps players included ) believe the side was better than they were and expectations went through the roof. This is a developing middle of the rung side at this point. We lack A grade talent and have number of players between 0-70 games which are getting experience but will be inconsistent . It is possible we could win more games this year , or the same and finish lower, its that type of unique season.

Im as disappointed in the performance as any but lets not throw the baby away with the bathwater. Sydney are the best side going around at the moment and we are the 10th -what type of result do you really expect?

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Re: Over reaction

My problem is that a number of players have gone backwards from last year.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Easier to blame the coach than face facts-Long way to go.

Top 4 by 2018 was an aim not an ironclad guarantee!
Before we go sacking Richo can we work out who out of our current 22 would get a game in Hawks 2016 team?
-Carlisle
-Steven
-Roberton
-Billings?
-Geary?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Last night was about what I expected against the Swans, who will take some beating this year.

The Essendon loss was extremely disappointing, though. We needed a season-defining performance and we got one ... though not the one we wanted.

So now for some tough calls. Riewoldt and Montagna. I've no doubt that they could go on another season and be useful, but at what cost to the development of the team?

Personally, I'd let Rooey go around again. On two conditions. He doesn't play injured and he doesn't play in the forward line. Wing or centre half back.

Joey. I dunno. I empathise with the club having to make calls on a couple of our legends.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 23 Jul 2017 5:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Richmond game gave us false expectations. We are simply just an average side. The Swans confirmed that last night.

We must get a couple of top mids out of in this year's trades.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Bruce G McAbee wrote:My problem is that a number of players have gone backwards from last year.
Who?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:My problem is that a number of players have gone backwards from last year.
Who?
Steven and Riewoldt! :oops:
All Richo's fault.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:While I understand the angst and frustration following a loss let's be real:

- Fact: Sydney are now 9-1 in their last 10 games and the form side of the competition. They have made limited changes in that time and beaten top 8 sides GWS, Richmond, Melbourne,Essendon and Stkilda (2) and WB. They lost the GF last year and rarely lose at SCG
- Fact: Player for player we fall short against top sides on talent and experience

As much as this team cannot be satisfied with losses and to get better you must beat this team no one honestly really expected us to win did they? ( take off the glasses ).

I jump on here and see people wanting coaches, recruiters, players all sacked and start again.

Take a breath. I think the Richmond game made everyone ( perhaps players included ) believe the side was better than they were and expectations went through the roof. This is a developing middle of the rung side at this point. We lack A grade talent and have number of players between 0-70 games which are getting experience but will be inconsistent . It is possible we could win more games this year , or the same and finish lower, its that type of unique season.

Im as disappointed in the performance as any but lets not throw the baby away with the bathwater. Sydney are the best side going around at the moment and we are the 10th -what type of result do you really expect?
If it was just last night you would have a point.

However the harsh reality is that based on the whole season that we are falling behind where we need to be.

And no last night I did not expect us to win, but I did expect us to show something, anything that would make me think that we are on the right track. What we put up was awful.

PS It is not just about winning, but it is about how we are playing. Against teams this year who have turned up to play the Saints apart from the GWS game have been dreadful.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
Who?
Acres, Hickey, Weller, McCartin (though not entirely his fault). Lonie to name a few.
The only improvements have been Ross, Billings and Sinclair. Bruce is about the same as are most others.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Bruce G McAbee wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Who?
Acres, Hickey, Weller, McCartin (though not entirely his fault). Lonie to name a few.
The only improvements have been Ross, Billings and Sinclair. Bruce is about the same as are most others.
Bruce. Cannot mark.
Newnes- has stagnated (which means he's gone backwards because every other player in the AFL has improved)
Wright- going in reverse at high speed
Pierce- has his mind on other things rather than footy?
D-Mack- absolutely no clue, last year he was running Windows 10, and this year he's regressed to Windows XP
Stuv- still can't kick properly, but now gets far fewer touches
Savage- was stuck at Zebs for ages, only now coming back to 2016 form. Not good enough

Mr Lodger, I cannot believe you had to ask "who has gone backwards"

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

OP has a very short memory and obviously forgot last weeks game where we got humiliated by the 8th best side in the comp.
So noone is over-reacting to the Sydney loss.
People are proportionality reacting to our last two games and overall season. A % of 96.7 shows we are bog average. Same % as Collingwood.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

"Fact: We haven't beaten Sydney up there i believe since 2009"

How about this for a Fact?
That was 8 years ago, and both teams have changed personnel since then, so you can't point to a losing streak.

also, how do our defenders let some no-name hack get 5 goals?
That's ridiculous and should never happen in a professional top level sport.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

So of the 7 sides below us we have beaten them all. We have only beaten GWS and Richmond above us.
It all seems a bit predictable.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:While I understand the angst and frustration following a loss let's be real:

Excellent, reasoned, and sensible post there Older Saint! Kudos!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)