observations from tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: observations from tonight

Proph3t of egan wrote:i have two observations from tonight

1. membrey is almost the most crucial player for us

2. this was the worst loss of the season

regarding point 1, the swans would force us to kick to a 1 on 1 down the line almost every time, and like clockwork, we lost them. this where membrey and his contested marking are crucial. if we have him in their he may pinch a mark 50% of the time and get us another forward 50 entry. currently, we have no one with his mix of aerobic capacity and marking skills, we struggle without that

the 2nd point isnt pessemistic cry about how we will never win a flag, but for me, this was the worst loss of the season. this is because barring armo and membrey out, we had our best 22 on the park and we tried hard. however we were outclassed in every area of the field, and lost alot of contests that should have broken even. it was just a team that will make the grand final again against a team hoping to make finals for the first time since 2011, and it showed we have along way to go before taste any kind of success

hopefully we dont start another losing streak after a win streak, but we probably will
Just on point No 1 - how would Membrey have made any difference when 1. We couldn't get the pill inside 50, and 2. when we did it was completely shambolic?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The OtherThommo wrote:

regarding point 1, the swans would force us to kick to a 1 on 1 down the line almost every time, and like clockwork, we lost them. this where membrey and his contested marking are crucial. if we have him in their he may pinch a mark 50% of the time and get us another forward 50 entry. currently, we have no one with his mix of aerobic capacity and marking skills, we struggle without that

the 2nd point isnt pessemistic cry about how we will never win a flag, but for me, this was the worst loss of the season. this is because barring armo and membrey out, we had our best 22 on the park and we tried hard. however we were outclassed in every area of the field, and lost alot of contests that should have broken even. it was just a team that will make the grand final again against a team hoping to make finals for the first time since 2011, and it showed we have along way to go before taste any kind of success

hopefully we dont start another losing streak after a win streak, but we probably will
Just on point No 1 - how would Membrey have made any difference when 1. We couldn't get the pill inside 50, and 2. when we did it was completely shambolic?
Correctimundo...
One goal that Baroose kicked, was from a free kick for a hold, that was a 50/50, so it was just pure luck.
Nobody in the F50 made any intelligent leads.
Lonie on several occasions had time to kick well, but his kicks went to the wrong spots - he was hopeless.
Other entries were the usual kick and hope.
Very low quality entries, and I don't care how many numpties are in the box on their laptops
tallying "pressure points" and "metres gained" and whether Aries is in conjunction with Uranus,
numbers mean diddley-squat.
You can make statistics tell you anything.
Quality beats quantity any day of the week.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We're not going to win the premiership

??
It's important to be realistic.

Everyone should know.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ross admitted that we we have been found out by other sides.

We can't handle the press. Not sure if its our skill level, game plan or a combination of both.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Rohan Marshall was ok.

Didn't look lost. He could be good.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sydney on a wet MCG is an impossible ask for the current Saints and even the All Blacks would struggle physically (well maybe not). A team with 5 changes will always find cohesion tough. The guys tried and Sydney are too big on a small congested arena. Then we butcher the ball through lack of composure under pressure. Players will get stronger and the team more settled. Its not for lack of effort its comparative pack weights; Sydney have Buddy at one end and Grundy/Rampe at the other plus a monster centre group. Sinclair will not repeat last night's performance he was symptomatic of the Swans mid field dominance. Draft picks to look forward to with Hugh and Paddy to come in. Disappointing but there's always Mañana (2018).

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:

easy, membrey is the link up man, if you watch him this year, he comes up the wings alot in order to give marking target when we are exiting the 50, and once he marks it, it open sp the forward line for us. thats what we missed this week especially

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

We maybe in for a tough 2018

spert
Saintsational Legend

Last night probably showed every flaw in our team(and coaching) at the moment. It was a shocking team performance where none of our younger brigade really showed enough, where our middle rung didn't show enough desire, and our senior brigade contributed bugger all. There was no inspirational leadership on display, although the captain did a few good things. I thought Dunstan and Savage were probably our two best and tried hard but had little support, the rest of the team played like the Saints of two or three years ago.

I think Marshall has a future though. The club however, needs to tap Roo and Monty on the shoulder- it's time to move on.

I don't think Richo and the football dept have done enough to address the many deficiencies we have. For all the good signs of the last half of season 2016, it is all coming undone, with too many players not taking the next step up, game plans being easily exploited etc.

We have lost the last 5 halves of footy now, and losses like last night and the week before really undo any good, and in the end, our ladder position shows the direction we are heading. Unless there is a massive turnaround across the board, we will be looking at starting all over from scratch next season.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Last night probably showed every flaw in our team(and coaching) at the moment. It was a shocking team performance where none of our younger brigade really showed enough, where our middle rung didn't show enough desire, and our senior brigade contributed bugger all. There was no inspirational leadership on display, although the captain did a few good things. I thought Dunstan and Savage were probably our two best and tried hard but had little support, the rest of the team played like the Saints of two or three years ago.

I think Marshall has a future though. The club however, needs to tap Roo and Monty on the shoulder- it's time to move on.

I don't think Richo and the football dept have done enough to address the many deficiencies we have. For all the good signs of the last half of season 2016, it is all coming undone, with too many players not taking the next step up, game plans being easily exploited etc.

We have lost the last 5 halves of footy now, and losses like last night and the week before really undo any good, and in the end, our ladder position shows the direction we are heading. Unless there is a massive turnaround across the board, we will be looking at starting all over from scratch next season.
Last night my faith in us having the right decision makers at the club in our football department vanished. We are in a parlous state teetering on falling off the cliff yet again.

Coaching, player development and list management are all in bad shape at present. The club needs to address all three, otherwise matters will only get uglier and uglier then next few seasons.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
longtimesaint
Club Player

We need some perspective on our position in this competition.
We are NOT and have not been a top four prospect this year, with a chance to make the bottom of the eight our best likely.
We do not have the list to beat Sydney or Adelaide away unless they have a really bad day.
Sydney are super focused after the 0-6 start and are the form team of the competition.
They have won 10 of the last 11 and only lost that one match ( with the last kick of the game) due to having two out of the match since quarter time.
We are still needing to build the list to seriously challenge.

One year will be our year
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Dunstan is a count ry footballer
Dunstan had a massive game last night in a poor team performance. One of the few bright lights was his game last night. He was in there head first gettting the footy, when let's face it, most of the rest of our midfield were a bit squeamish about competing with the Swans brutes. He got plenty of it , used the ball well and kicked a really good and deserved goal. He was our best by a mile.

Dunstan will be a good player, he proved that last night against the best opposition possible. He wasn't intimidated and came to play.

loris
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:Gay pride is fine, but it would be nice to see some heterosexual football next week.
What a pathetic, nothing, out-of-touch post.
You thought we played 'gay' today?
I would suggest we let down a cause that has been fighting for recognition and rights for 100s of years. And has fought a lot harder than we did today.

'Heterosexual football'. That's honestly the most pathetic thing I've ever heard and I feel sorry for you.
+1

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Agree with Longtermsaint

ace
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Alan Richardson is obsessed with passing the ball...

He's pbly sitting there thinking: it's going to take a lot more passing to get us out of this jam
Hard to believe the stats.
We had 7 more kicks, 35 more handballs.
But they were far more direct.
Their handballs were to advantage, our's were to get out of trouble.
Our tackles were because they got to the ball first, their tackles put us into trouble.
They smashed us in the clearances and the stoppages.

They got the ball first, we applied the tackles, we were all sucked in, then they distributed to an unguarded outside mid, and he went direct down the the ground.
Our clearance and stoppage coach, I don't know who, should be looking over his shoulder.
Or is it we don't have one.
Their system was vastly superior.

Whatever, we need to get a clearance and stoppages coach the quality of Sydney.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
supersaints
Club Player

The Swans strength has always been about set plays around stoppages and clearances, they are the best at it in the league by far... was implemented by Roos when the AFL was blasting them about thier strangling game plan.
I noticed in Roos time they would deliberately handball to a guy with an apponent directly behind him , so he would be tackled without prior to force a ball up, thier while game was almost around set play ball up and ckearance

They have perfected it over the last several seasons, they own the SCG corridor with their body strength , like all other less skilled sides they forced us out wide on that ground

We could learn a lot from them , they create heavy traffic that's the reason why Dunstun was our best player, tho most on here think he is a dud. I think he suits the Swans style and would go more than ok in thier team. It's also a game we missed Armo for this game for the same reason,

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis is a Country Member!
Oh yes, I remember!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Our game plan is to over handball in defence and then kick along the boundary to safety.
Absolutely gutless football.
If we had a player loose in the corridor we chose to ignore him and then kick along the line and hope for a boundary throw in.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
Con Gorozidis is a Country Member!
Oh yes, I remember!
I saw what you did there.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Carlisle's bump on Franklin was an absolute ripper!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We have two quality midfielders but only Ross is performing at the moment- we need more drive from our midfield. Steven is being tagged out of the game.
Stevens and Steele overhandball against teams that pile on the pressure and do not take the game on - they haven't got what it takes .
We need someone like Armo, who does, to get over whatever has restricted him over the last 2 years and to get back to his best quick smart.

We just about have the weakest midfield going around. Our recruiters need to redeem themselves next year in a big way - get us a couple of quality midfielders.

We also can't keep playing 2 smalls - just go with Gresham and give Connellan a go.
Our selectors should be deselected if they persist!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Typical Sydney game.

They get a lead, hold us at arms length for the duration and then just kick away a bit at the end.

Seen it many times before.
Not really. In the JLT, we got close, pretty close, 77-74 on a wet ground, eh

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

They get a lead, hold us at arms length for the duration and then just kick away a bit at the end.

Shows what JLT means. I think average losing margin is 50 points in the last 5 actual games.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

Shows what JLT means. I think average losing margin is 50 points in the last 5 actual games.
I was just being funny...

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Sydney's running between the two arcs is immense - every time we won the ball on half back we looked up to find that Sydney mids had already flooded back of course we tried to go around them boundary side but they were ready thru the middle again once they won back possession.

Our lack of creative play off half back is worry - no one running past for the handball receive - no one selfishly running to make space for another teammate to run into

Sydney were so good on the rebound that we were troubled into not taking risks and not trying to beat them at their own game - which I believe is possible but our belief needs to be unwavering like we saw in the Richmond game

I think the inclusion of Membrey and fit Weller this week will go some way towards rectifying this

We are still 9 and 8 and could well be 11 and 8 as I absolute believe that the next 2 games are super winnable

Every team this year from 1st to 18th have had there down moments and they usually come in blocks - hopefully some soul searching through out the week puts a bit of mongrel and hunger back in our game

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!