Billings!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Billings!

In a side that got thrashed again, what exactly did Billings do wrong?

Wasn't damaging with the ball? Name one mid who was. Ross had it 37 times but at what point did he punish the opposition?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Ned Stark
Club Player

1965 Saint - you started this juvenile thread by asking how old Billings is. I take it you are in your 50s. Sad really. Your pathetic life has been reduced to railing against 21 year old footballers on an Internet forum. Your family must be so proud. I agree, I must be dumb not to see the subtle genius in your postings.

Darth Vader
Club Player

I reckon Billings is the least of our problems.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Ned Stark wrote:Not saying it was his best game, but 23 possessions at 73% and a goal from a forward flanker in a team that has been flogged. Some serious boof heads on here who need to delete their accounts
Very good point.

loris
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
Scollop wrote:All the talk of physicality is not about the muscles. It's all between the ears with this guy. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Needs a regular root
Hook him up with Newman's (Swans) brother! :oops:

Pure Gold there whiskers3614! :lol: :lol:
I beg to differ. Try pathetic.
Encore TOT

SuperSaint
Club Player

Like I said, compare Billings' attack on the ball to Heeney's last night. Both the same height and I think Heeney is younger. I know who I prefer. Until we recruit these types or dare I say develop, the club will not be close to being a contender. Last night was insipid and Billings again got a lot of cheap stats when the game was well and truly over.
Last edited by SuperSaint on Sun 23 Jul 2017 1:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

If people want Billings to be a Cripps type they will be disappointed on a regular basis. I know some Carlton supporters who wish Cripps could be more Billings like, every time he butchers the pill. He's had a good year, get off his effing back. Least of our problems.

This place is getting more and more cringe worthy.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Saintsational Legend

wasn't too bad last night. my only criticism was when he was closest to a sydney player in the fifty in a contested ball situation and instead of going in he waited outside leaving it up to another arriving saints player. swans won the ball and ran it out. not a good look.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moods
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:If people want Billings to be a Cripps type they will be disappointed on a regular basis. I know some Carlton supporters who wish Cripps could be more Billings like, every time he butchers the pill. He's had a good year, get off his effing back. Least of our problems.

That's bulls***. I could live with Billings if he WAS clean with the ball. That's why we got him after all. I highly doubt ANY Carlton supporters wish Cripps was more like Billings. More likely Zac Merrett. That's who I THOUGHT Billings was going to be.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:wasn't too bad last night. my only criticism was when he was closest to a sydney player in the fifty in a contested ball situation and instead of going in he waited outside leaving it up to another arriving saints player. swans won the ball and ran it out. not a good look.
Maybe that is what he has been instructed to do - maybe he has been told to play as an outside receiver.

Frustrating I know - but if everyone piles on and the ball comes out, you have a pile of bodies and no-one to distribute it.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
desertsaint wrote:wasn't too bad last night. my only criticism was when he was closest to a sydney player in the fifty in a contested ball situation and instead of going in he waited outside leaving it up to another arriving saints player. swans won the ball and ran it out. not a good look.
Maybe that is what he has been instructed to do - maybe he has been told to play as an outside receiver.

Frustrating I know - but if everyone piles on and the ball comes out, you have a pile of bodies and no-one to distribute it.

maybe, but taking it to extremes when it's obvious you'll get there well before your team mate.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

maybe, but taking it to extremes when it's obvious you'll get there well before your team mate.

Hence the yelling - lol!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SuperSaint
Club Player

Moods wrote:
8856brother wrote:If people want Billings to be a Cripps type they will be disappointed on a regular basis. I know some Carlton supporters who wish Cripps could be more Billings like, every time he butchers the pill. He's had a good year, get off his effing back. Least of our problems.

That's bulls***. I could live with Billings if he WAS clean with the ball. That's why we got him after all. I highly doubt ANY Carlton supporters wish Cripps was more like Billings. More likely Zac Merrett. That's who I THOUGHT Billings was going to be.

Catching up on this thread and couldn't agree more with your post Moods. My cousin is a mad Blues supporter and reckons he is YET to hear that one. Had a good laugh about this apparent wish for Cripps to be more like Billings.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I rate Billings, skill wise, but I thought he looked very hesitant, almost unwilling to attack the contest against the swines. Very disappointing. He also panicked a few times resulting in fumbles and turnovers. Not what I normally expect from him. He picked up a few possessions and kicked a nice goal when the game was well and truly over and the heat had gone out of the contest. I watched the game with a former saints supporter turned swine (when plugger defected), who commented that Billings looked like he slept with the lights on. Ouch!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I rate Billings, skill wise, but I thought he looked very hesitant, almost unwilling to attack the contest against the swines. Very disappointing. He also panicked a few times resulting in fumbles and turnovers. Not what I normally expect from him. He picked up a few possessions and kicked a nice goal when the game was well and truly over and the heat had gone out of the contest. I watched the game with a former saints supporter turned swine (when plugger defected), who commented that Billings looked like he slept with the lights on. Ouch!
No offence WW but your mate can talk.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I rate Billings, skill wise, but I thought he looked very hesitant, almost unwilling to attack the contest against the swines. Very disappointing. He also panicked a few times resulting in fumbles and turnovers. Not what I normally expect from him. He picked up a few possessions and kicked a nice goal when the game was well and truly over and the heat had gone out of the contest. I watched the game with a former saints supporter turned swine (when plugger defected), who commented that Billings looked like he slept with the lights on. Ouch!
Damn straight! :x

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Damn straight! :x
I'm staggered that WW mate defected when Plugger went to the Swines. That takes the cake! He must truly be a fat bastard!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

This is either an inside joke or the coment doesn't make sense.

Re Billings: My 2 cents worth. He grips the ball too high on the ball when he's about to kick. All good kicking coaches will tell you that to get good consistent contact with the ball you should hold the ball mid range, ie around the stitching, not above the stitching. When held too high means that you often kick the ball skinny (without elevation) as your foot arrives late because the drop is too quick. It's a bad habit that I thought would have been corrected once he reached this level. The actual mechanics of his kicking action is very good. Similar to Roo's goal kicking yips which has now been corrected. Roo is by and large a very good field kick, so it stands to reason he should be a good shot at goal. A guy like Stewy Loewe had a poor kicking action so they had to start from scratch with him, but with Billings there is really no excuse.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

?

Thought my comment was obvious, if that is what you are referring to, Moods.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Jack Billings is still young enough to improve and become a fine player for the St Kilda footy club! ( IMHO )

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:?

I read it again. At the risk of looking like an idiot :wink: Are you referring to the fact that his mate swapped clubs to keep following Lockett, therefore he's a bit soft?

If you are I guess the saints gained supporters through Lockett as well whilst he was at the Saints. When my beloved Roys went down the gurgler my best mate followed/follows the Saints. Mid 90's I was playing footy but when I wasn't I found myself at more Saints games than Fitzroy games due to the fact we both hero worshiped the great man. He was that exciting to watch, and sadly my team was worse than uncompetitive by that stage I just couldn't bear watching them very often. They were literally a reserves team. To me it was like watching a beloved relative die in front of you.

Even though PLugger had left by the time I officially joined the club in 97, he played a huge role in converting me. Him and Winmar.

As for Billings - Jiggster I agree with you. I think all of us do. On a positive note young Jack has taken some great strides this year and it's been fantastic that he's finally been able to get some continuity into his game. He's played some excellent footy. My observation on his disposal has been the last 4 weeks I've noticed it's got a bit messy. As I said earlier, I fully expected Billings to almost be the replica player that Zac Merret is for the Dons. Clean as a whistle when handling the ball and just a superb kick of the footy with terrific vision. Not overly quick. When I saw Jack's size when we recruited him, that's how I imagined he'd be or become. There's certainly still time. He still needs to bulk up even more if for no other reason than to give him confidence in the packs.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Jack Billings is still young enough to improve and become a fine player for the St Kilda footy club! ( IMHO )
I should elaborate, folks. I think Billings is a potential gun. I followed up to my mate, telling him that Billings was an outside type, who was having a bit of an off night early, but that he'd had a pretty good year. My argument was he'd laid plenty of tackles throughout the year, but that he was more of an outside type player. He countered saying that even the most "outside" player in the swines team, Gary Rohan, was pretty ferocious at the ball. He followed up with, "Actualy, we don't have any outside players. What is that definition? An excuse?" Typically arrogant Swines supporter now, I'm afraid.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Oh my god!

When will people understand that clubs need outside players! Dal used to get the same crap on here years ago.
I read on this site so often that we have too many similar inside mid type players, then complain that Billings is an outside player.
What is going on?
Surely people on here are taking the piss and just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I love this kid.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Moods
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:Oh my god!

When will people understand that clubs need outside players! Dal used to get the same crap on here years ago.
I read on this site so often that we have too many similar inside mid type players, then complain that Billings is an outside player.
What is going on?
Surely people on here are taking the piss and just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I love this kid.

Dal was one of the best tacklers we had at the club. Nothing wrong with being an outside player as long as you're a good outside player and do your fair share of grunt work when required. Joey is also an outside player but we all accept that I reckon. As for Jack - I reckon we all accept that being an outside player is what we got him for. My gripe is that for an outside player he needs to clean up his disposal. The best players are never purely one or the other, ie purely inside players are effective such as Priddis and T. Mitchell but the very best mids are a combination of both - Harves, Lenny AND Dal.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
SaintPav wrote:?

I read it again. At the risk of looking like an idiot :wink: Are you referring to the fact that his mate swapped clubs to keep following Lockett, therefore he's a bit soft?

If you are I guess the saints gained supporters through Lockett as well whilst he was at the Saints. When my beloved Roys went down the gurgler my best mate followed/follows the Saints. Mid 90's I was playing footy but when I wasn't I found myself at more Saints games than Fitzroy games due to the fact we both hero worshiped the great man. He was that exciting to watch, and sadly my team was worse than uncompetitive by that stage I just couldn't bear watching them very often. They were literally a reserves team. To me it was like watching a beloved relative die in front of you.

Even though PLugger had left by the time I officially joined the club in 97, he played a huge role in converting me. Him and Winmar.

As for Billings - Jiggster I agree with you. I think all of us do. On a positive note young Jack has taken some great strides this year and it's been fantastic that he's finally been able to get some continuity into his game. He's played some excellent footy. My observation on his disposal has been the last 4 weeks I've noticed it's got a bit messy. As I said earlier, I fully expected Billings to almost be the replica player that Zac Merret is for the Dons. Clean as a whistle when handling the ball and just a superb kick of the footy with terrific vision. Not overly quick. When I saw Jack's size when we recruited him, that's how I imagined he'd be or become. There's certainly still time. He still needs to bulk up even more if for no other reason than to give him confidence in the packs.
Yes.