Duck weighs in on Roo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Duck weighs in on Roo

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... xf1ko.html

And for a change I mostly agree - particularly the part about special handling for all time greats of the game (his words). And I also agree that putting up with the media speculation for another few weeks is just beyond the pale. Make the call now, whatever it is.

I still feel that a managed Roo in a final year in 2018 is not just a viable, but a good, option.

Hope he pulls out a blinder again this weekend.

Always loyal
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Duck weighs in on Roo

Duck is a good Journo. Has some footy cred

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Give him one more year. We need his presence, leadership and mentoring on the field. All this tosh about taking a young kid's place on the list. If it goes pear-shaped, he retires and we promote a rookie. As for holding back the development of younger forwards, even at his age, the opposition will still send their best defender to him, taking pressure off the others. Or play him in the midfield or as GT suggested, down back. The guy still has so much more to offer. Much more than the 42nd player on the list, or some speculative draft pick at number 70 or worse. If we get 15-18 games out of him, even when he's not at his best, it's still better than the alternative, IMHO.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
#gosaintas
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Give him one more year. We need his presence, leadership and mentoring on the field. All this tosh about taking a young kid's place on the list. If it goes pear-shaped, he retires and we promote a rookie. As for holding back the development of younger forwards, even at his age, the opposition will still send their best defender to him, taking pressure off the others. Or play him in the midfield or as GT suggested, down back. The guy still has so much more to offer. Much more than the 42nd player on the list, or some speculative draft pick at number 70 or worse. If we get 15-18 games out of him, even when he's not at his best, it's still better than the alternative, IMHO.
He's not keeping the 42nd player on the list out of the team though, he's keeping Paddy/Battle/Marshall out of the team.
If the fwd line is Bruce, Members and Roo then Paddy plays at Sandy for the year. You don't play Paddy at Sandy, it's just stupid. Roo can't play on the wing anymore. Sincs and Newnes play there. He's holding the side back if he continues.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No problem with him going on if he can play elsewhere than the forward line.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok but what if Roo says I want 500k+ and I won't be managed.
I'll play every game I am available.
Take it or leave it.

Leaves the club in an awkward position and that is where I believe it is right now.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ok but what if Roo says I want 500k+ and I won't be managed.
Take it or leave it.

Leaves the club in an awkward position and that is where I believe it is right now.

Then you leave it

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:Duck is a good Journo. Has some footy cred
Duck is hardly a journo at all - there's no news in this whatsoever (tho was a brilliant footballer - probably the best I've ever seen play). Fascinated by the respectful reception he's getting - this is all just commentary on the article Caro wrote two days ago that others on here wanted her pilloried for.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ok but what if Roo says I want 500k+ and I won't be managed.
Take it or leave it.

Then he plays and is picked on form.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Geez if Duck is being used as a moral compass.... sheesh....

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:Geez if Duck is being used as a moral compass.... sheesh....
Danger Will Robinson!

After the Richmond game virtually everyone thought he should play on...has a bad one against Bombers, now we're managing his exit.

Has it always been this fickle or are we at a new level?

Nee!
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

It's a new level of fickleness. As a commentator you have to make noise or you are in the wrong business.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
IanRush wrote:Geez if Duck is being used as a moral compass.... sheesh....
Danger Will Robinson!

After the Richmond game virtually everyone thought he should play on...has a bad one against Bombers, now we're managing his exit.

Has it always been this fickle or are we at a new level?
But that right there is problem with both this forum and footy in general.

After GWS & RICH, Richardson was a great coach, Roo should play on, we'd recruited well, the young kids were showing promise or taking big steps etc etc
After the losses that followed, Richo has to go as he's achieved nothing, Roo is holding back kids, we should have taken Bont ahead of Billings, we need to turn the list over again... on and on it goes

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I agreed with duck right up until the part where he grabbed
Nicks tits !

In red white and black from 73
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Should be managed a bit better. I think Roo should play in 2018, but not interstate except in Qld or Tassie for obvious reasons.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Media is all about opinion pieces and not reporting or analysing match ups like it used to be.

It's better if your opinion on players and teams changes every week to provide more content and conflict. Simple!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Should be managed a bit better. I think Roo should play in 2018, but not interstate except in Qld or Tassie for obvious reasons.
Yablett has been bagged in the media for skipping interstate games

jays
Club Player

one year contract on 100k ImageImage
ImageImage

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:one year contract on 100k ImageImage
ImageImage
100K are you joking?

More like 300K minimum even for only 15 games max

ace
Saintsational Legend

There is a minimum percentage of the salary cap that must be paid by all clubs.
That leaves the clubs with not much maneuvering room under the cap.
BUT if you have an aging player or two, then you can pay them heaps (for past services rendered) and so create a massive space under the salary cap once they retire.

If St Kilda is already paying over the minimum with the present list then heads should roll.
We missed multiple chances to win premierships in the second half of the naughties because we were paying the absolute maximum allowed by the cap.
That left no room to bring in imports to push us to those premierships.
As Ameet Bains has mentioned we were paying over 60% of the cap to just 10 players.
Those players prevented us from winning multiple premierships not by playing poorly but by ensuring our bottom six of our 22 playing players were VFL standard at best.
We don't need selfish sh..s again like Luke Ball taking massive salaries and either refusing or unable to spread when we have the ball.

However both Riewoldt and Montagna can hold places on the list, receive massive salaries and still keep the player payments legal.
When the club is ready to bring in top up players for the future, then these two guys retire leaving behind two spaces on the list and massive room under the salary cap for top up players.

The club's decision on Riewoldt and Montagna should be based only on managing the total player payments with an eye on winning premierships, the rest is irrelevant.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:Give him one more year. We need his presence, leadership and mentoring on the field. All this tosh about taking a young kid's place on the list. If it goes pear-shaped, he retires and we promote a rookie. As for holding back the development of younger forwards, even at his age, the opposition will still send their best defender to him, taking pressure off the others. Or play him in the midfield or as GT suggested, down back. The guy still has so much more to offer. Much more than the 42nd player on the list, or some speculative draft pick at number 70 or worse. If we get 15-18 games out of him, even when he's not at his best, it's still better than the alternative, IMHO.
Couldn't agree more, well said WW

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
He's not keeping the 42nd player on the list out of the team though, he's keeping Paddy/Battle/Marshall out of the team.
If the fwd line is Bruce, Members and Roo then Paddy plays at Sandy for the year. You don't play Paddy at Sandy, it's just stupid. Roo can't play on the wing anymore. Sincs and Newnes play there. He's holding the side back if he continues.
He's not holding the side back if he's still one of our best players and leaders. At this stage the evidence suggests he still is and probably will be next year. If his form deteriorates to the point that changes, then the conversation will be had. The next 6 weeks will be telling. A player as great as Roo deserves a bit of consideration.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

ace wrote:There is a minimum percentage of the salary cap that must be paid by all clubs.
That leaves the clubs with not much maneuvering room under the cap.
BUT if you have an aging player or two, then you can pay them heaps (for past services rendered) and so create a massive space under the salary cap once they retire.

If St Kilda is already paying over the minimum with the present list then heads should roll.
We missed multiple chances to win premierships in the second half of the naughties because we were paying the absolute maximum allowed by the cap.
That left no room to bring in imports to push us to those premierships.
As Ameet Bains has mentioned we were paying over 60% of the cap to just 10 players.
Those players prevented us from winning multiple premierships not by playing poorly but by ensuring our bottom six of our 22 playing players were VFL standard at best.
We don't need selfish sh..s again like Luke Ball taking massive salaries and either refusing or unable to spread when we have the ball.

However both Riewoldt and Montagna can hold places on the list, receive massive salaries and still keep the player payments legal.
When the club is ready to bring in top up players for the future, then these two guys retire leaving behind two spaces on the list and massive room under the salary cap for top up players.

The club's decision on Riewoldt and Montagna should be based only on managing the total player payments with an eye on winning premierships, the rest is irrelevant.
You forget to mention that veterans are special,
only half of their salary is counted in the cap
Which means when Roo and Joey go, they are vacating two spots at half-price = ONE large salary

Think of it this way.
A family owns a 7 seater Mitsubishi Outlander.
The last 2 seats are in the cargo area, and only good for 2 small kids/teenagers (= half salary of 2 veterans)
The vehicle is full with mum/dad/grandpa/grandma/18 year old- and two 8 year olds in the small seats;
it goes to a school and drops off the 2 kiddies (Roo/Joey offloaded)
At the school, a couple of other parents need a ride (Josh Kelly+ Free Agent). They can't fit.

Does it make sense when I put it that way?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee