Dear paddy bashers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Re: Dear paddy bashers

loris wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:I also see in this morning's Hun that KJazz from the Suns (the unpronounceable surname drafted at 5 after Bont, the year before Paddy) is being rested for the balance of the season because of lingering effects of concussion.

This approach is becoming more and more prevalent as the medical profession learns more about the long term effects of concussion.

10 years ago, possibly even 5, Paddy would have been straight back into the team (and possibly straight back onto the field). I think some of us (me, certainly) may have been comparing his resilience against an outdated standard.
Yes, SF there has been no outcry that KJ won't make as he's had multiple concussions.

Another player is Angus Bradshaw, of the Demons.

I was reading an article about him some weeks back. He only got back to full training last week of June or early July this year. He played 2 games, then out with concussion, returned via VFL & concussion again, and hasn't played since round 6 because of concussion. He also got concussion in 2016 after returning from a knee injury and was only cleared to play in the last six (I think) games of the 2016 season because of effects of concussion.

Wasn't young Bradshaw a top ten pick, 4 - 5 if I recollect correctly?There is no outcry from Demon supporters about Bradshaw a high pick, should be traded as he can't get on the park due to repeated concussions.

Actually it was a very interesting article about Bradshaw, he was getting advice from NATHAN BURKE, about how to deal with his concussions, and parts of his game he may need to modify. Bradshaw reckons Burke had been of great assistance to him.

I wonder if the Saints have invested in Burkey giving Paddy advice???? Though I suppose Burkey & Paddy are chalk and cheese to the positions and roles they play in a side.

I think I read the article on the AFL site - its worth reading, the Burkey connection.
Bradshaw was number 3, but there is very little talk about his future in the comp compared to Paddy
Last edited by Proph3t of egan on Fri 21 Jul 2017 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Apparently he's on the plane to Sydney, even though he's not an emergency.

Good move.

He is not playing for Sandi at present and so no effect there.

Going to Sydney maintains the player bonding and also still trains him up in going interstate for a game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

We can soon stop all the Paddy whackers comparing Paddy v Petracca

Recruit Petracca in the upcoming draft!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
samoht wrote:Paddy will eventually settle the argument, one way or the other.

Anyway, we need quality, running midfielders more so than forwards - Paddy is not holding us back.
Correct,
Yet another recruiting blunder will hold us back once Paddy's concussion issues (amplified by type 1 diabetes) force his early retirement.
Isn't it great to have something to look forward to?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Gershwin
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote:I don't bash Paddy, but I am concerned about his succession of concussions that very much threaten to end his career before it gets a chance to start. I would say that if he gets another one in the next 12 months it will be over. The real shame is in that 1st quarter against Richmond last year where he comprehensively beat the best defender in the comp Rance a few times, it has been down hill. Breaking his collar bone was the worst thing that could have happened to him.
Yes this worries me too. Poor kid may never get to show his potential. Can't risk permanent disability for a game.

summertime and the living is easy ........
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:I don't bash Paddy, but I am concerned about his succession of concussions that very much threaten to end his career before it gets a chance to start. I would say that if he gets another one in the next 12 months it will be over. The real shame is in that 1st quarter against Richmond last year where he comprehensively beat the best defender in the comp Rance a few times, it has been down hill. Breaking his collar bone was the worst thing that could have happened to him.
Yes this worries me too. Poor kid may never get to show his potential. Can't risk permanent disability for a game.

But it isn't just a game. This is his profession, and his professional attitude towards his career - a career for which he is very well remunerated - dictates that he will need to adjust so that he can meet the commitments of that position. He may need to wear a helmet - heck, Dunstall did it, he went alright. He might need to learn to play his game differently so he doesn't lead with his chin. He may become a defender. Whatever it is, he needs to do it, because you can't spend the majority of your working life on sick leave. I don't want to see another Tom Lynch situation and I fully expect the club to get right behind him and teach him how to get himself right, so that he can get a good run at it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The_President
Club Player

Interesting to note that Paddy is still travelling with the team

Gershwin
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:
Gershwin wrote:

But it isn't just a game. This is his profession, and his professional attitude towards his career - a career for which he is very well remunerated - dictates that he will need to adjust so that he can meet the commitments of that position. He may need to wear a helmet - heck, Dunstall did it, he went alright. He might need to learn to play his game differently so he doesn't lead with his chin. He may become a defender. Whatever it is, he needs to do it, because you can't spend the majority of your working life on sick leave. I don't want to see another Tom Lynch situation and I fully expect the club to get right behind him and teach him how to get himself right, so that he can get a good run at it.
He is only 21 years old so he can change his 'profession'. Might not be as well paid in the short-term but won't risk ending up a vegetable. Very tough call for him and the medicos. Dempster retired this year because of the risk of further head injuries. Apparently the effects can be even worse for a diabetic. And there is a bigger picture for supporters than a wasted high draft pick.

summertime and the living is easy ........
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

mr six o'clock wrote:All the BS from some people on this forum and from the media in general on paddy ,its time to give it a rest this year .
Have a go at the ten previous number 1s.
2013 boyd . Got a flag but done sweet fa else
2012 Whitfield. Top 20-40 player
2011patton. Top 30-40 player
2010 swallow. Who?
2009 scully. Top 50+
2008 watts. Dud for years now probably inside top50
2007 kreuzer. Only took 8 yrs to shake off injury. Now inside top 100
2006 gibbs. Inside top 60 .
2005 murphy. Inside top 75.
2004 deledio. Top 30 for a long time , but last 3 years nowhere.
I wish they would somehow abolish the numbering system in the draft. Probably impossible. But all these number 1 draft picks have amounted to pretty regular AFL players.
No Robert Harveys or Wayne Carey types.

Just average players. Some not even average. The amatuerish world of teenage football is so different to AFL.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Ape_Man
Club Player

I wish they would somehow abolish the numbering system in the draft. Probably impossible. But all these number 1 draft picks have amounted to pretty regular AFL players.
No Robert Harveys or Wayne Carey types.

Just average players. Some not even average. The amatuerish world of teenage football is so different to AFL.
Im an advocate to raise the draft age to 21.

It has some great upsides. Clubs get a better look at potential talent, kids get extra time to develop and secondary competitions become a whole lot more interesting.