Rowan Marshall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sasaint
Club Player

Re: Rowan Marshall

Thought Marshall's debut was really positive. Played his role and got stuck in. Plenty of touches and no obvious clangers. I hope he remains in the side next week.

Patience young grasshopper
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I don't know what the point of playing him was? I think we went too tall, however desspite that I thought it was a reasonably good debut. He's a likely type.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A good first outing. Inserted himself into the game and deserves to stay in for next week. Rest Rooey.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

He was ok not our worst - something to work with atm
Can we develop him is the question

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:You'd say he's in front of Battle and Paddy at the moment.
Having said that Kozi was once in front of Riewoldt!
Kozi got in Riewoldt's way so often.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:You'd say he's in front of Battle and Paddy at the moment.
Having said that Kozi was once in front of Riewoldt!
Kozi got in Riewoldt's way so often.
And Bruce gets in Riewoldt's way
And McCartin gets in Riewoldt's way
And Membrey gets in Riewoldt's way
And ....... gets in Riewoldt's way

Riewoldt is fantastic, and covers a great amount of ground, but what it means is that he gets to EVERY contest, not just the ones that he has a right to get to. Sometime kick it to Roo is because the guy just gets to everything - but he needs to not do it anymore - that is why a ban from the 50, unless he is a dead cert should be enforced - probably to the detriment to the team in the short term - but we need to learn to play post Roo - and the mids need to learn how to deliver without having their spearhead making everything look good by 'getting to the contest' when most 'normal' players could not.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I watched Marshall closely and while he didnt get a lot of it I liked what I saw. Quite a few times he made decent leads and got in the clear but the players ignored him and instead went to Roo on the boundary. He looks ok. Not over-awed. Made some nice tackles. Seems to have a nice physique on him. Certainly worth keeping around and getting games into next year.

One issue we have is Pierce has a contract until 2019. Beggars belief that one.

ace
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:Thought Marshall's debut was really positive. Played his role and got stuck in. Plenty of touches and no obvious clangers. I hope he remains in the side next week.
But what was his role.
I thought he was going to play as a tall in our forward line providing relief ruck for Longer.
I hardly ever spotted him up forward except in ruck contests.
Where I did spot him, was in ruck contests and around the ground usually on the wings and then only when Longer was missing - resting on the bench I assume.
Seemed to me Marshall was used only as a relief ruckman, not as a forward.
That did allow Bruce to stay permanently as a forward.

My only complaint is he seemed to fumble a few contested marks which should have been held.
I would love to see him and Battle play when our mids are not getting so comprehensively slaughtered.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:This is what is wrong with St Kilda and St Kilda supporters - we have been starved of success for so long that each and every debutante MUST be a world beater from day one.

Can't we just let them get used to the speed of the AFL before writing them off

Who here can claim that they were the best in their profession after the first day on the job?????
[Glass houses - people]
I think it says something is wrong with you in all due respects.

A lot of other clubs unearth a good young kid each year that plays a ripper first game. We've recruited so many duds through the draft it's fair to expect as fans to want a new kid on the block to occasionally deliver the goods from the get go. The Gresh is a prime example - hasn't been dropped since debut I believe.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
silverhalo
Club Player

I really liked what I saw in his debut game.......lots of potential and I think he deserves to stay in..... even got more fantasy points than Roo, Stevens and Sinclair!