Saints, Swans & Significant Games

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Saints, Swans & Significant Games

Throughout my lifetime (34yrs) we’ve always seemed to have significant clashes with Sydney. Strange things happen when we play the Swans. Here’s a few to remember ahead of Saturday’s match.

In fact, even before I was born a St Kilda v South Melbourne game would always affect my footy life. The old man always tells me how his father made them leave a game early at the Lake Oval back in the day because St Kilda were well down at 3/4 time. The saints came back to win, Dad has never left a game early since, and neither do I.

Back in the 90's Plugger seemed to love/hate them, I remember him booting 15 against them in one of our final games at Moorabbin, and then there’s THAT game in 1994. 11 goals to Plugger, a one point win from 43 points down early in the last, and the Peter Caven incident. One of the most incredible games of all time.

Ironically Plugger ended up the Swans a year later and was the first of three Saints forwards to be poached by Sydney. Peter Everitt and Craig O’Brien being the others.

In 1997 we were the team to break Sydney’s enormous unbeaten run at the SCG, then in 1998 we played one of the most perfect games I’ve ever seen beating the 3rd placed Swans at the SCG by 101 points. Steven Sziller kicked 6!

Later in 1998 we met Sydney in the finals and fell 2 points short with Stan Alves strongly questioning the umpiring post-match.

Our first ever game at Etihad Stadium came against the Swans in Round 1, 2000. We lead at half time and fell away to lose by six goals, like we did most games 1999-2002.

In 2002 we had that bizarre draw at Etihad Stadium. It was arguably the most defensive game ever with a score line of 2 goals to 1 at half time. Daniel Wulf hit the post from close range to tie the scores, then Nick Dal Santo, in just his second game, had his after the siren shot from 60mtrs fall just short.

In 2004 the Swans broke our ten game winning run, but we got revenge defeating them in the semi-final.

2005 saw us meet in the finals again. This time the infamous Barry Hall – Matt Maguire prelim. We lead all night until Schneider and Buchanan tore us apart in the final quarter. 12 months later Schneider would be traded to the Saints along with premiership teammate Sean Dempster.

The following season we posted a low scoring win at the SCG, upsetting the Swans in soggy conditions 52-50. Riewoldt put on a clinic.

Round 1, 2008 saw an almost identical match, but this time at Etihad Stadium. Again our winning margin was 2pts with scores 51-49. Trademark Roos v Lyon stuff.

Again we met in Round 1 in 2009, this time we came from six goals down to win by 15 points, keeping Sydney scoreless for over an hour. Little did we know what would follow that win. We won the next 18 games, but the closest we came to defeat was a 1 point win over the Swans at the SCG, our last win at the ground.

An 8 point win over Sydney at Stadium Australia in Round 1, 2010 was the last time we’d defeat Sydney in Sydney. A year later they scored an upset Elimination Final win over us at Etihad Stadium, our last finals appearance to date and Ross Lyon’s last match in charge.

Sydney went on to win the flag in 2012, but not before we comfortably beat them at Etihad Stadium. That would be the last time we beat the Swans.

The closest we’ve come since was a 16 point loss in our first ever game in New Zealand, since then we’ve been comprehensively belted by Sydney at all attempts. 59, 71, 97, 70 and 50 point losses from our last five efforts.

Alan Richardson is yet to coach a win against Sydney and only four Saints who run out on Saturday night will have played in a St Kilda win over the Swans. We’re due to change that!

carn_sainter
Club Player

Re: Saints, Swans & Significant Games

The 2005 prelim is the worst experience I've ever had at the footy. Heartbroken. Hurt more than the GF losses. I was behind the goals at the Sydney end in the last quarter and it was just raining goals, how I imagine a damn air raid to be. I loved that 05 team so much.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:The following season we posted a low scoring win at the SCG, upsetting the Swans in soggy conditions 52-50. Riewoldt put on a clinic.
Older forum members will remember this game for the kick from the boundary of the chosen one, #29.

And the conversations on this forum his selection/non-selection delivered.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/20 ... 60610.html

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:The 2005 prelim is the worst experience I've ever had at the footy. Heartbroken. Hurt more than the GF losses. I was behind the goals at the Sydney end in the last quarter and it was just raining goals, how I imagine a damn air raid to be. I loved that 05 team so much.

Was that when Barry Hall's mum came out and said "my son's a good boy really" and Demetriou agreed, letting him play in he Grand Final?

stonecold
SS Life Member

Don't forget Andrew Dunkley!!!!!

Played St.Kilda Under 19's, told not good enough, went to Sydney and made there Team of The Century, cost us first dibs on son Josh, whom is already a premiership player!!!!!

Interesting history between both Clubs!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

RIX ROX RUX

barks4eva PLEASE post on this thread if alive!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

One of my favourites was the 1st semi-final win in 1970. Stephen Rae kicked 4.