Longer!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Longer!!!!!

sunsaint wrote:
spert wrote:One thing the coach needs to teach our midfield is how to rove to a losing ruck. We don't do it well at all.
this is the burning issue tho
Against sydney - Stonecold would argue that Longer won the ruck contest - but we got smashed in the clearances
Against PA - Longer got whacked by Ryder in the contest and around the ground - but we won clearances
thats my point about dinosaurs - you immediately go into a game one onballer down
No offence intended, but why are you speaking on my behalf?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―
stonecold
SS Life Member

More Coaches Votes, Again, 51 hit ours, do we still rove to the other ruckmen?????

Humble Pie, Humble Pie!!!!!

longtimesaint
Club Player

stonecold wrote:More Coaches Votes, Again, 51 hit ours, do we still rove to the other ruckmen?????

He is dong well at the Centre bounce but needs to start having an influence around the ground with marks and possessions.

One year will be our year
stonecold
SS Life Member

longtimesaint wrote:
stonecold wrote:More Coaches Votes, Again, 51 hit ours, do we still rove to the other ruckmen?????

He is dong well at the Centre bounce but needs to start having an influence around the ground with marks and possessions.
Oh well, your comment is partly positive, so that's a start!!!!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Humble Pie, Billy Knockers, Humble Pie, on offer again, the Longer you leave it, the more Sour it becomes!!!!!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

You obviously have problems, mate, if you don't think he needs to lift his game around the ground like the other good ruckmen do. Talk about fixated.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
β€œIf we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Jacks Back wrote:You obviously have problems, mate, if you don't think he needs to lift his game around the ground like the other good ruckmen do. Talk about fixated.
yeah I watched the Hawks vs Roos game on sunday
A 7 game kid Preuss matched it with our reject McEvoy picking up 6 kicks 5 marks 2 inside 50s and 2 goals
cheap rookie pickup from the goldcoast and a kid to watch

Seeya
hotdish
Club Player

***CONGRATS BILLY!***

On the weekend, Billy broke the record for hitouts in a single year by a St Kilda player. The previous record was set by Tom Hickey last year (20 games) with an average 28.7.

Billy has beat the record in only 15 games (!) with an average of 38.5 hitouts per game.

Billy is currently ranked 4th for hitouts per game, behind Sandilands, Jacobs and Mumford

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/teams/st ... i.html#S06

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:***CONGRATS BILLY!***

On the weekend, Billy broke the record for hitouts in a single year by a St Kilda player. The previous record was set by Tom Hickey last year (20 games) with an average 28.7.

Billy has beat the record in only 15 games (!) with an average of 38.5 hitouts per game.

Billy is currently ranked 4th for hitouts per game, behind Sandilands, Jacobs and Mumford

so happy...but now we have to endure Stonecold's inane ramblings :(

ok ok ..I'm off to the carpark

stonecold
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:
hotdish wrote:***CONGRATS BILLY!***

so happy...but now we have to endure Stonecold's inane ramblings :(

ok ok ..I'm off to the carpark
No Ramblings Fiery, just wish some posters would taste their slice of Billy's Humble Pie!!!!!

More Coaches Votes (again), so im happy to be justified by those in the know, not the KC's on here!!!!!

Billy is writing his own Chapter now!!!!!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

There's no point denying that Billy was fantastic on the weekend. He was. In fact I thought if Billy could just square that match up we surely would win. We were putrid anyway but he can certainly hold his head up.

I still say our problem is our mids. If Billy plays like that and we get smashed in Centre clearances in the 1st quarter then the mids should hand their heads. The ruckman can do no more than what he did.

Time to look for a new scapegoat .... :wink:

stonecold
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:There's no point denying that Billy was fantastic on the weekend. He was. In fact I thought if Billy could just square that match up we surely would win. We were putrid anyway but he can certainly hold his head up.

I still say our problem is our mids. If Billy plays like that and we get smashed in Centre clearances in the 1st quarter then the mids should hand their heads. The ruckman can do no more than what he did.

Time to look for a new scapegoat .... :wink:
See, that's how it's done, with class, well done Moods, welcome aboard the Puffin Billy Train!!!!!

Folks, the ride will only get better for those on board!!!!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I don't believe anyone on here gets any joy from bagging players.

Anyone who criticizes players does so because these highly paid athletes have worked hard to be drafted into our national
sporting comp, which matters not in the global scene, but in our nation of 22 mil, is the most popular code (for spectators, anyway)

And the players work hard to get to their dream of playing AFL, so now they're in the system, if they fall short,
we feel they have not earned the right to be there, and are taking it for granted, and keeping out all those guys who didn't make it.

They need to live up to their potential or they are just wasting their time, and insulting those others who worked as hard or harder than them.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the β€πŸ€πŸ–€ and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:I don't believe anyone on here gets any joy from bagging players.

Anyone who criticizes players does so because these highly paid athletes have worked hard to be drafted into our national
sporting comp, which matters not in the global scene, but in our nation of 22 mil, is the most popular code (for spectators, anyway)

And the players work hard to get to their dream of playing AFL, so now they're in the system, if they fall short,
we feel they have not earned the right to be there, and are taking it for granted, and keeping out all those guys who didn't make it.

They need to live up to their potential or they are just wasting their time, and insulting those others who worked as hard or harder than them.
just saw dunkirk..youd love it wellard.

Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

longer!!! longer!!! how much flowering longer???

ffs!!! how much longer do we have to wait for this bloke to get a flowering kick???
take an overhead flowering mark??? even flowering look like he might take a flowering overhead mark, ffs!!!
or how about scrap for a ground ball and then flowering feed out a hand ball reasonably flowering accurately???
maybe even kick the odd goal??? ffs!!! i'm not asking much. even a flowering shot roughly in the direction of goal would do me from billy!!! :roll:

and whilst i have my flowering wish list handy, how much longer till he actually attempts to flowering direct one, even just flowering one, of his flowering famed league record number of flowering tap outs, ffloweringfs??? :roll: :roll: :roll: ffs, we'd be no flowering worse off if billy went in for tap dancing instead. besides, i like tap dancing. :D

mates (of both/any/all muso' persuasions)!!! just because someone has hypnotised 2016 hickey and convinced him that in 2017 he's suddenly become phil flowering collins when out on a footy field. :roll: this fact does not miraculously make billy the answer. we need to have 18 blokes out on the field ffs!!! :idea: :roll: :roll: :evil: :roll: :roll:

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Gordon, you need to get out more!!!!!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Gordo' wrote:longer!!! longer!!! how much flowering longer???

ffs!!! how much longer do we have to wait for this bloke to get a flowering kick???
take an overhead flowering mark??? even flowering look like he might take a flowering overhead mark, ffs!!!
or how about scrap for a ground ball and then flowering feed out a hand ball reasonably flowering accurately???
maybe even kick the odd goal??? ffs!!! i'm not asking much. even a flowering shot roughly in the direction of goal would do me from billy!!! :roll:

and whilst i have my flowering wish list handy, how much longer till he actually attempts to flowering direct one, even just flowering one, of his flowering famed league record number of flowering tap outs, ffloweringfs??? :roll: :roll: :roll: ffs, we'd be no flowering worse off if billy went in for tap dancing instead. besides, i like tap dancing. :D

mates (of both/any/all muso' persuasions)!!! just because someone has hypnotised 2016 hickey and convinced him that in 2017 he's suddenly become phil flowering collins when out on a footy field. :roll: this fact does not miraculously make billy the answer. we need to have 18 blokes out on the field ffs!!! :idea: :roll: :roll: :evil: :roll: :roll:
Call me crazy, but I think Richo (and maybe Stoney) may have convinced Billy that he's a footballer. I actually saw some signs on the week end and these are great signs if he keeps improving. Anyhow... Gordo might be onto something too with the Phil Collins link but I think Young Turks by Rod Stewart sums up Billy at the moment

Don't let them put you down, bon't let 'em push you round. Don't let 'em ever change Richo's point of view...Cmon Billy

And of course who could forget the classic from fabulous Phil: Billy don't you lose Richo's number

saints66
Club Player

or Billy Dont be a Hero by Paper Lace

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we'll be here forever if we're quoting billy songs.
so here's a hundred of the best!
http://m.ranker.com/list/the-best-songs ... /reference

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stonecold
SS Life Member

Some people are very slow learners, but that's ok, better late than never!!!!!

Still plenty of slices of Humble Pie left folks, step right up and get a slice whilst it's still hot!!!!!

The_President
Club Player

stonecold wrote:Some people are very slow learners, but that's ok, better late than never!!!!!

Still plenty of slices of Humble Pie left folks, step right up and get a slice whilst it's still hot!!!!!

Start of this year you wanted Longer traded for a picket of chips & you thought Hickey was the second coming.

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_President wrote:
stonecold wrote:Some people are very slow learners, but that's ok, better late than never!!!!!

Start of this year you wanted Longer traded for a picket of chips & you thought Hickey was the second coming.

That's rubbish Donny, I've been a Billy fan since we got him from the Bears!!!!!

Never been over excited by Hickey!!!!!

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I'll have a slice of that pie. I've always been glad we had Longer and thought Grundy is the only younger ruckman who is better than Longer. I still think that but now I finally believe Longer is better than Hickey. Keep both I say

Saint wagga
Club Player

I've been really impressed with Billy's improvement the second half of this season, which is great for our side going forward! I read an article, I think by Wayne Carey, that said he was the sort of developing ruck who's style would suit the really contested physical finals type cauldron, which is great! Another good offseason to keep working on his marking, quick hands and running capacity and he can only improve! It's a big win for the club!

As for the others...it's a no brainer for mine! Delist 2 of holmes, pierce and Marshall...the two former the most likely having not had a look in all season.

Hickey will continue to develop and will have greater opportuntity to get into the side with Riewoldt retiring. We only need a couple of injuries to key forwards, bruce and Paddy and he along with Marshall could be fighting for a forward/relieving ruck role...and of course he will still be fighting hammer and tongs to reclaim the no.1 ruck role...plenty to play for for Hick, we obviously haven't seen his best this year, but he only has to look at what Billy did to know that opportunity is all he needs...

With Longer, Hickey and Marshall, I think that is enough ruck stock on our list...do others agree, disagree?

To the top
SS Life Member

Gawn had 8 kicks, 8 handballs, took 5 marks and kicked 1.1 (from marks in the forward line)- and gave away a number of free kicks in the ruck merry go around

Gawn playing for St Kilda and St Kilda win

May I remind you that prior to this season we have beaten Melbourne time in memorial - and this season they have beaten us twice including in a season defining game last weekend

So why has this been the case?

And particularly as we had the "benefit" of Longer's "contribution" last weekend?

Longer took 1 mark - so he had a very good game by his standards

I focus on how we can address our weaknesses so that our future is enhanced over and above our past

I also note there is no McCartin/Petracca comment

With McCartin we have won that one - easily