We'll beat sydney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

We'll beat sydney

I never felt like we were a chance against the bombers. Just new we'd greet beaten.

Got a really good feeling we will come out and beat Sydney in a nail biter. There'll be a few changes in the side and a few strong words spoken between the playing group.

We'll be ready to go

#1 Ryder fan
carn_sainter
Club Player

Re: We'll beat sydney

If we still plan on playing finals, it is absolutely necessary.

A loss will see Essendon on top of us and maybe even the dogs. We'd be 11th. As well as a couple of other teams currently on 36 points winning, we'll be at the back of the pack.

Sydney (along with Adelaide) is a team we really, really struggle against. A lot needs to go right for us. Our best, their less than best and luck might get us over the line. There was a real mental lapse against the Dons. We were complacent. I expect we'll turn up to play this week but that doesn't guarantee a win

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon it is very important for Richo's future, to beat the Swans or at least go down in a competitive loss rather than the weak as p$#s way we have been losing.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The last time we played Sydney (Round 9), they had won just 2 games for the year and lost 6. They are now 9 and 7, that is, they have won 7 of their last 8 (Hawthorn beat Sydney by a goal at the SCG). They beat us with a combination of disposal skill and physical 'hardness" at our players. Our players were bumped, pushed and shoved whenever there was a contest - even after the contest. The Sydney players did this deliberately, but cleverly, making sure not to "hit" high. Our players were simply "bullied" out of the game and this became more and more the case as the game progressed. Sydney have gone on to do the same against other teams.

Against Essendon, there was no such brutality - the contests were few are far between because their skills (like us the week before against Richmond) were just too good. We were waiting for this skill level to drop off. It didn't. Hence the blowout.

The SCG does afford the opportunity to close up the game - to prevent players getting the space they want. The secret is players running hard enough and often enough to be an extra player at the contest. If the contest is won by a contested mark from the opposition, this option becomes very difficult. We saw that against Essendon. Not only were we beaten in the ruck, we weren't able to stop their marking from kick outs ( of which we gave them many opportunities).

I would like to think we could show the same hardness against Sydney players as they will against us. The team that played last Friday can't do it. Jimmy Webster will replace Sam Gilbert. We will need Luke Dunstan and Mav Weller into the team at least. We should include Blake Acres as well. Unless Billy makes a miraculous recovery, I would play Jason Holmes in the ruck - we will need his size against the Swans. Our young, light players i.e. Ben Long, Jack Lonie and Daniel McKenzie should be dropped along with Tom Hickey. We will continue to miss Tim Membrey, nothing much we can do about that.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I reckon it is very important for Richo's future, to beat the Swans or at least go down in a competitive loss rather than the weak as p$#s way we have been losing.
Agree 100%

We will be known as the soft<edited by mods> with no heart if is yet another blowout.

I don't care if we lose.

I do care if we get pummelled.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I cant see it.

I reckon it will be one of those nights where we are just held at arms length, going down without a whimper by around the five goal mark.

Same old crap with Sydney.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Swans are a very good side and could win it this season if they get in.

It will be a great test and we are a chance ONLY if we bring our absolute A game.

We need to start well. With a shower of goals, not points. That was the big problem Friday. We just couldn't hit the scoreboard.

It's symptomatic of of our worst games this season and the most overlooked thing in football. Put it on the scoreboard. Goals not points. Build scoreboard pressure. Without Membrey I'm not sure we have enough straight shooters.

If only Billings could hit the scoreboard as regularly as he should given his ability.

stonecold
SS Life Member

I don't think we will beat Sydney, hope im wrong though, if we could somehow find a way of winning one of the next two, I'd be happy with that. Don't think we need to look at the coach yet, , , let's not go down the path of sacking the coach, club needs continuity at this point, IMO!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Darth Vader
Club Player

I'm hoping they're due. Won a few in a row, big game last against an enemy. Hopefully they'll have a letdown like post-derby or showdown. Or I'm dreaming.

lewdogs
Club Player

The one thing that gives me hope is that we will have a much more competitive team out there on Saturday. Bringing in Webster, Acres, Dunstan, maybe Longer and possibly Marshall (obviously still young but better than Battle at this stage of his career) will make us a better side. We will need to come out very hard.

I doubt we will win, but I have no doubt that we CAN win.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:I'm hoping they're due. Won a few in a row, big game last against an enemy. Hopefully they'll have a letdown like post-derby or showdown. Or I'm dreaming.
They had 6 weeks off to start the year. Half their team is still fresh and they are building still.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Sri Lanka have won more games at the SCG than St Kilda in the last decade.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Beno88"]Sri Lanka have won more games at the SCG than St Kilda in the last decade.[/quote]
:lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
axcellence
Club Player

39+ points loss... if not a 50+ point one

tactics haven't changed, and don't look like changing

People keep saying, "Try Harder... give it your 110%". Well, DUH! Players can only play to their max physical, mental capacities and the game plan.

The gameplan is not good enough. Players are very well drilled. Forward / coaching / tactics didn't work last time, and won't again opposite Sydney. Just not set right

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto did predict our loss to the Injectors last week, so perhaps he's on to something.

Mind you, his logic is probably that the Swines are due for a loss.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

End of first qtr vs the Injectors, a lot of our guys were hunched over, hands on knees, absolutely heaving.
Commentators made a remark about it. They were excited about it too.

I think the boys just ran themselves into the ground and were second to the ball, and they were exhausted already!!
Too many at the contest and nobody outside.

Last time Swines had that #4 on the outside of each contest, he got spoonfed and ran away unhindered.
Geezus I hope Richo changes it up this time- tag him, or something.

I have a bad feeling about this, esp as it's at their patch.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stonecold
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:End of first qtr vs the Injectors, a lot of our guys were hunched over, hands on knees, absolutely heaving.
Commentators made a remark about it. They were excited about it too.

I think the boys just ran themselves into the ground and were second to the ball, and they were exhausted already!!
Too many at the contest and nobody outside.

Last time Swines had that #4 on the outside of each contest, he got spoonfed and ran away unhindered.
Geezus I hope Richo changes it up this time- tag him, or something.

I have a bad feeling about this, esp as it's at their patch.
Welcome back Wellard, nice to see you back posting!!!!! :D

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Us beating the swans in Sydney is a fantasy. Our form
Up until Richmond game was flakey and unmpressive. We've had one half of high intensity impressive football in about 8 weeks.

clintgrierson
Club Player

There is no better side by form than the Swans. if we beat them over there, pencil us in for the premiership. I'd love to think we can beat them, but they are a formidable side.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Us beating the swans in Sydney is a fantasy. Our form
Up until Richmond game was flakey and unmpressive. We've had one half of high intensity impressive football in about 8 weeks.
I would suggest that our poor conversion smothers the spirit and hurts morale.
If we converted better, we would have maybe beaten WCE, and could have gotten much closer in several games.

The guys appear a bit brittle sometimes, and missing goals must hurt.
Something isn't working, they can't regroup or lift when they need to.
The Tigers game was a perfect storm (somebody already used the phrase) where all the planets lined up.
We won't see another like that for a long time.

The Swans historically have played nasty,physical, brutal footy- and our lads haven't responded well to that stuff.
They're not soft at all- but they lose composure and can't think straight.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Mon 17 Jul 2017 7:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Maybe do a GT to freshen the guys up.

What's on at the pictures?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Maybe do a GT to freshen the guys up.

What's on at the pictures?
Richo should do a movie night at his place, hire an outdoor projector
Show "Predator"
"If it bleeds, it can be killed" is a positive phrase, sounds pleasing, and sends a strong message.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Don't think we will beat Sydney but it will be a lot closer than recent encounters against them

We will beat Port and West Coast though! :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

just not good enough yet. Just hope it's not a belting.

lefty
Club Player

Yeah sure we will.... common mate, good sides don't get belted by huge margins like us. We are not consistent and Sydney are easily the best team at the moment.