The exact moment we lost last night's game...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: The exact moment we lost last night's game...

freely wrote:There may be problems - obviously heaps we can improve - but this particular loss in this particular game I put squarely down to maddie's match. Did anyone see the footage of roo they played back on footy class last night? He's not all he used to be but I've never seen him that far off competetive. I don't give us much hope this week v the swines (though hope we smash em) but we'll have a much clearer idea where the problems are afterwards. No point analysing this loss too much - it's just not representative.
The Adelaide loss was worse.

The Bulldogs loss was close too.

The Sydney loss might have them all covered.

Friday night was no aberration.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We missed Membrey and Longer big time. We also missed Jimmy Webster (back this week), and we have been missing Armo for weeks.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintbob wrote:
Otiman wrote:Hickey's tap goalside in their 50.

Yep that was absolutely sole destroying
Most ruckman tap to the defensive side in that field position or straight back to boundary risking the deliberate if no one touches - you dont go over the back or towards goals as that can open you up on the "fat side" as opposed to defensive side & a much tighter shot at goals if the opposition gets it.
What was soul destroying was seeing the lone efc player react & outsprint our defensive side guys

scapegoat :idea:

Seeya
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
saintbob wrote:
Otiman wrote:Hickey's tap goalside in their 50.

Yep that was absolutely sole destroying
Most ruckman tap to the defensive side in that field position or straight back to boundary risking the deliberate if no one touches - you dont go over the back or towards goals as that can open you up on the "fat side" as opposed to defensive side & a much tighter shot at goals if the opposition gets it.
What was soul destroying was seeing the lone efc player react & outsprint our defensive side guys

scapegoat :idea:
Even though it wasn't the greatest tap I tend to agree - we had two free players on that side unfortunately they got a bit close to ruck contest and the ball went between them which allowed the Essendon player who was coming in to confront them to run onto the ball behind them.

Tapping the ball behind him or to our attacking side (where there were Essendon players) would have exposed us and opened up the angle to goal - back towards the boundary is probably the safest option however there is risk as outlined above.

Given the time left the smartest option would have been to drop the ball back at his own feet which would have likely caused another stoppage wasting precious seconds.

Interested to know if we have a system whereby our players know how much time is left in the quarter?

We seemed to have given up quite a lot of goals this year in the dying minutes/seconds of quarters :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It's a little disturbing to me that ppl genuinely think we are completely incapable of turning stuff around and capable of failure before even beginning.

To me it's a cop out. I guess we'll just have to leave it there

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:It's a little disturbing to me that ppl genuinely think we are completely incapable of turning stuff around and capable of failure before even beginning.

To me it's a cop out. I guess we'll just have to leave it there
Things don't turn around, if you keep doing the same things over and over again.

The question is, simply:

Are we doing what the coach wants us to do?

If the answer is yes, then it won't turn around. We can't do the same things every week and expect a different result.

If the answer is no, then yes we can turn it around.

But then you've also got to ask, if we haven't been able to get the players to do what the coach wants in 4 years, why do we think it will happen overnight?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ok. That last sentence is complete bollocks.

You cannot compare 2014 to 2017 teams.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote:
Even though it wasn't the greatest tap I tend to agree - we had two free players on that side unfortunately they got a bit close to ruck contest and the ball went between them which allowed the Essendon player who was coming in to confront them to run onto the ball behind them.

Tapping the ball behind him or to our attacking side (where there were Essendon players) would have exposed us and opened up the angle to goal - back towards the boundary is probably the safest option however there is risk as outlined above.

Given the time left the smartest option would have been to drop the ball back at his own feet which would have likely caused another stoppage wasting precious seconds.

Interested to know if we have a system whereby our players know how much time is left in the quarter?

We seemed to have given up quite a lot of goals this year in the dying minutes/seconds of quarters :evil:
finally - another person that can actually analyse the play - rare :wink:

Seeya