Get Hodge!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7
Club Player

Get Hodge!

Now that Luke Hodge has announced his retirement, we should grab him - for any job!

Get him mentoring the youngsters, building leadership, midfield coach - anything. He is class act and would be an amazing off field addition...

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Get Hodge!

Couldn't agree more. It would be the perfect job for him too.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He would have at least 10 clubs chasing him. He'll probably go somewhere where he has a close connection so wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Brisbane in some coaching capacity.

He has no connection with us.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
carn_sainter
Club Player

Really? Luke Hodge is not a class act. His record speaks for himself, he is highly decorated, but he is not a class act. Bit of a dog on the field, caught drink driving last year.

He is completely unnecessary in a mentoring role when we have Nick Riewoldt at the club, who is about 1000 times the class act Hodge is. Sean Dempster would be far better suited to a mentoring role than Hodge, based on my perception of the character of each.

Schillaci
Club Player

carn_sainter wrote:Really? Luke Hodge is not a class act. His record speaks for himself, he is highly decorated, but he is not a class act. Bit of a dog on the field, caught drink driving last year.

He is completely unnecessary in a mentoring role when we have Nick Riewoldt at the club, who is about 1000 times the class act Hodge is. Sean Dempster would be far better suited to a mentoring role than Hodge, based on my perception of the character of each.
Agree with carn sainter on this one. Hodge has good people skills but class act is a stretch.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7 wrote:Now that Luke Hodge has announced his retirement, we should grab him - for any job!

Get him mentoring the youngsters, building leadership, midfield coach - anything. He is class act and would be an amazing off field addition...
Class act?

If he wasn't a freakishly good footballer and leader, with his off-field record he'd have lasted about as long as Dale Garlett did.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Winmar7 wrote:Now that Luke Hodge has announced his retirement, we should grab him - for any job!

Class act?

If he wasn't a freakishly good footballer and leader, with his off-field record he'd have lasted about as long as Dale Garlett did.
And, if your aunty had whiskers she'd be your uncle, JM - the key word is "leader".

And, just how many 'hanging offences' are there in his off field record (or, on field for that matter)?

The bloke managed to play 15 odd years, be extraordinarily successful, particularly when it counted, lead and teach people superbly, earn unvarnished respect inside and outside for the way he went about it, and maintain his personality as a bit of a 'lad' throughout. He hasn't been ground down by mediocrity.

To my mind, that's a sporting life well lived.

"Class act"? Dunno, depends what class you're grading him against.

Flawless is a very high bar very, very few can get over.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If anyone understands what IP means then they'll know he'd be a terrific aqusition for any club.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Peanut
Club Player

I am sure he has hung up his boots - he may be interested as a untried assistant coach after he has a spell in the paddock, but surely his club will be offering that if that's the way he wants to go. Besides we are in the middle of developing our own plan going forward, I would hope. He only has proven on-field experience1

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:I am sure he has hung up his boots - he may be interested as a untried assistant coach after he has a spell in the paddock, but surely his club will be offering that if that's the way he wants to go. Besides we are in the middle of developing our own plan going forward, I would hope. He only has proven on-field experience1
Based on what he said on the couch last night he's likely to have a stint in the media, first, along with a bit of 'stay at home dad' work.

If he is interested in coaching he'll go after the certifications concurrent with the above 2 'jobs', I reckon. He'll know his on field experience won't simply translate to off field success.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

These days high profile ex-players like Hodge can make a lot more money from a lot less hours from working in the media, if they have the talent for it, that what they could make from being an assistant coach.

So it would get back to whether they have a strong desire to coach.

Dal Santo has been a natural in the media to date. I have been quite impressed, and I do not think that it just my St Kilda bias either.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Worth asking the question - his football IQ is very high and his history of being in such a sucessful environment would be highly suitable in an assistant role.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Class act?

And, if your aunty had whiskers she'd be your uncle, JM - the key word is "leader".

And, just how many 'hanging offences' are there in his off field record (or, on field for that matter)?

The bloke managed to play 15 odd years, be extraordinarily successful, particularly when it counted, lead and teach people superbly, earn unvarnished respect inside and outside for the way he went about it, and maintain his personality as a bit of a 'lad' throughout. He hasn't been ground down by mediocrity.

To my mind, that's a sporting life well lived.

"Class act"? Dunno, depends what class you're grading him against.

Flawless is a very high bar very, very few can get over.
I like Hodge.

Best player ever in my opinion.

He's just not a 'class act' in the context used by the OP.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:If anyone understands what IP means then they'll know he'd be a terrific aqusition for any club.
We need someone to sort out our routers.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stevie
Saintsational Legend

In the last few seasons, there have been 4 players who each, IMO, and for varying reasons mainly onfield acts, who I class as becoming grubs in the twilight of their carers - this bloke, Gouger Judd, Goodes and Harvey.

In saying that, Hodge would make a good assistant coach. I just lost a lot of time for him after he took out Lachie Henderson maliciously, his goalpost slam of the Port guy and his avoidance with the drink driving. The other 3 need no explanation I'm sure.

Anyway, carry on chaps!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Got a club imposed sanction (for missing training I think) earlier this season. Some (ahem) "mentor" (?)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

All I'll do now is refer to my earlier comments re 'hanging offences', and universal respect earned.

Then I'll add, "SCOREBOARD!"

Hodge has never been a grub. And, you don't become become universally revered by combatants, in spite of being late for training.

Story: Mid naughties, when he hadn't played 50 games, we played them at E'had, and smashed them. The Dorks sent the kid into the Fux Footy studios post game. He'd been trailled around by Bakes all day, and Bakes had done what Bakes did - all of it. In the studio post game, after his side had been humiliated, and he'd been rendered largely ineffective by the games most combative 'close checker', they asked Hodge how he'd coped with the result and the personal defeat.

I'm paraphrasing here, but his response was along the lines of, 'We'll get better, we're young, and Bakes is a mate of mine, we're both from Colac, and I just need to learn from today, and how Bakes went about it'.

I watched it, I remember it, it stuck with me, and that's when I first began to respect Luke Hodge. And, he was a kid, who went on to become a giant of the game who, I personally rate as one of the smartest footballers I've seen.

Plus, I was about 6 rows from the fence in '08, Southern Stand, in the prelim, when he got his ribs busted along the way to beating us - we were very close to what happened. He was effectively playing CHB. The courage he showed to do as he did in that contest alone stamped him for me - he was literally wide open, but didn't hesitate. I heard the crunch, the air go out of him, possibly even the crack. But, he got up, pounded on, they won, he spent the week pissing blood, couldn't get out on the track, and the following Satdee won the Norm Smith Medal.

I don't wear blinkers.

P.S. I recall him saying he 'enjoyed' the battle with Bakes.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Fair comment. I stand corrected.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)