Is Ross now our best player?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Is Ross now our best player?

In my opinion he is. I'm amazed at his progress this year. He is so much stronger and powerful, doesn't look slow. And his kicking has improved out of sight. He consistently gets 30 possessions a game. Steven was great on Saturday night and brings some other things to the table - like genuine leg speed. His kicking isn't quite as good though. Fantastic to see players push up to challenge for the mantle of best player in the team now that Roo has finally stepped down.

Good to see Billings start to give it a shake as well this year. IN a couple of years I have no doubt that there will be friendly rivalry within the team as to who holds the mantle of best player. Back in 09/10 Roo was the best player but guys like BJ, Lenny and Chips were all putting in their nominations.

Right now as things stand I believe that Ross is our best player. Would be interested in what others think?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Ross now our best player?

I would say so too.

He's amazing and has taken an even bigger step up from last year in that he's that bit much more damaging with his use of the ball too.
Easily over taken Steven, and is far more consistently damaging then Steele, Stevens, Newnes, Roberton etc.

Roo remains the next step and is still arguably our most important... when he's on so are we

saynta
Saintsational Legend

On his performances over the past ten weeks, I think so. Nudged ahead of Jack.

He has never been slow imho. I have said so all along.

StPeter
Club Player

Definitely our best this year.

Would be well ahead in B&F I would think.
Last edited by StPeter on Mon 10 Jul 2017 3:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Has become a kind of midfield general. More general influence than Steven, now.

It was a real worry when Steven was easily our best, effective though he may be. He's not the kind of player you want as your best.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

I actually dared to think about the Brownlow for a moment or two yesterday

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:I actually dared to think about the Brownlow for a moment or two yesterday
I tipped him at the beginning of the year, but on the basis that we would win 16 games. Whilst that's mathematically still possible, it is unlikely. Midfielders do well in the Brownlow in winning teams. It's the difference between polling 3 votes and 1 vote. I reckon he could have 12 votes at the moment, but that would be about 8 fewer than the leader. If we continue to win, he will do well. He is very consistent and, yes, our best player at the moment.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Don't like all the publicity he is getting.
Obviously the opposition knew of his work so he wasnt under the radar, but sudden media exposure can have an impact on a player.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well Ross certainly is the player who has had the best year for us so far. And also has been consistently good.

His only poor game was Round 1. One quit game against the GC, but the others have all been good to great.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think he is going to make a lot of media commentators look stupid come Brownlow Medal night.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Happy to rejoice in what it means for the whole team.

Make no mistake, clubs will be taking a lot more notice of young Seb nowadays, and if the opposition want to start clamping down on his influence, then Jack will get a bit more freedom and his game will thrive again.

Same thing will happen if we can import a gun mid, or have one of our youngsters like Acres or Dunstan climb the ladder like Ross has done the last 18 months. More dangerous weapons means thining out the opposition's efforts. Our midfield brigade has been a 1 man band for too long now, and more good players can only mean good things for us in the future.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I personaly thought he would not make the grade.
He could get the ball but I didnt think he had the wheels or endurance to get to his current level.
I wrote him off two years ago.
To be the real deal he needs to do what he is doing now for the next couple of years but signs are good.

I've also written Paddy off so here is hope!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Happy to rejoice in what it means for the whole team.

Make no mistake, clubs will be taking a lot more notice of young Seb nowadays, and if the opposition want to start clamping down on his influence, then Jack will get a bit more freedom and his game will thrive again.

Same thing will happen if we can import a gun mid, or have one of our youngsters like Acres or Dunstan climb the ladder like Ross has done the last 18 months. More dangerous weapons means thining out the opposition's efforts. Our midfield brigade has been a 1 man band for too long now, and more good players can only mean good things for us in the future.

Spot on St Chris. For players to play consistently well they need support. That means if Lenny is down because he's being tagged then Dal steps up. If everyone's concentrating on Banger then Ball and Lenny had days out. Ross must be Jack's new best friend at the club. Newnes not far off joining them. Just need Acres to step into the spotlight, then guys like Gresham and Billings can roll through there for extra support.

At the start of the year I thought our mid field was one paced (and I still do to an extent) I'm not sure we can continue playing Dunstan, Steele, and Stevens in the same team. I believe that Nathan Freeman is the single most important player we have on our list. If he comes through then it can takes this team to elite status. All we need then is an elite Big Forward for when Roo retires. Not sure that Bruce or Members can play that role. A charlie Dixon type would be nice. :wink:

carn_sainter
Club Player

In comparing him to Steven a couple of weeks ago I said:
carn_sainter wrote:As much as I admire Steven's work rate - he is one of the hardest runners I've seen in a saints jumper, not far behind Harvey or Roo - he has not been damaging this season. In comparing him to Ross, Ross has been a far better playmaker, opening up the ground and the play for team mates far better. My main criticism on Steven this season is that he isn't hitting targets.

He is getting some severe treatment, and I don't question his input at all, but his output is not elite. He isn't accumulating like seasons past nor is he hurting the opposition much. Too often if he does get loose, he's missing targets by foot. Again, I'm not saying he is lazy or crap, but the output isn't there.

Ross on the other hand is like a great point guard in basketball who draws all the opposition to him and then kicks it out to find a team mate in space. Besides high marking, Seb Ross is in the top two or three in our team for pretty much every other skill in the game.

Foot skills, hand skills, tackling, vision, breaking tackles, drawing opposition, explosive speed, overall running capacity, poise, leadership...has kicked some great goals too, but not many I guess.

So far this season, Steven is still one of our best overall runners and explosive runners and he attracts the most attention from opposition, but that's about it. I am curious to see who has had our most score involvements this year...I would guess Ross, Billings, Roberton and Roo would have the most, but I don't think Steven would be too high actually.

He is clearly leading our B&F at the moment and is also the most complete player we have, so that probably makes him our best. The oly criterion for me by which he is not our best is replaceability. I would say there are a couple of oher players more important structurally than Ross, but Seb is nevertheless the best player in the team this season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Lots of parallels with Greg Williams. Tough, prolific and never wastes a disposal. Always seems to find a teammate. Not lightning quick by any stretch, but they can't grab him. The Diesel parallels stop there, though, as Seb is not a sniper.

Is he our best? He is this season, but I feel Billings may be pretty soon.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Definitely our best this year.

Pretty much elite...1

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
carn_sainter
Club Player

bigred wrote:Definitely our best this year.

Pretty much elite...1
In 3rd place for the AFL Coaches award!

St Lenny
Club Player

What about Armo?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:I personaly thought he would not make the grade.
He could get the ball but I didnt think he had the wheels or endurance to get to his current level.
I wrote him off two years ago.
To be the real deal he needs to do what he is doing now for the next couple of years but signs are good.

I've also written Paddy off so here is hope!

I never once wrote him off.

I was extremely pissed by all the posters who wanted to trade him out, especially those suggesting throwing him in as the steak knives for Carlisle.

I loved his quick hands and it was obvious to me that he had a football brain.

I love the guy.

Middo
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:What about Armo?
Reckon he's cooked would not drop any of the midfielders for him now , and I think Jack Billings very close to Ross for our best player on list.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Vazelos
Club Player

He is top shelf now...
7 th in the league for disposals and uses it brilliantly..
Has class and reads the game well...
Our mid field is starting to look good..
Jack Steven Seb Ross with Jack Steele and Koby Stevens is a decent 4...
Throw is Billings and Gresham rotating through there it's starting to look decent..

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Composure!

He is the most composed player I've ever seen in red white and black.
The way he actually stops to assess his options catches opponents off guard.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
older saint
SS Life Member

Dyaln robberten has been very good this year too and would be top 3 in B & F at this stage too.

Ross would be in front i agree.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ross easily our best player imo.
Will win the B & F.

I think we over rate Dylan a bit. Dylan will be top 3 in the B & F though for sure. But he plays a much easier role and often has no opponent.

Seb is a genuine two-way player who plays at the coal face. Can defend and attack.

Vazelos
Club Player

He will win our B & F