Is Ross now our best player?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Ross now our best player?

I think that delivered best is different from potentially best.

Steven is potentially the better player still, but this year has been curtailed by taggers.

Roo when reasonably fit is still brilliant, but had that new injury this year which has hampered him for a good chunk of the season to date. The Tigers game was the free-est he has move in a long time.

Ross in terms of the season to date is I believe the St Kilda player who has played the best football for us this season when you look at all games played to date.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:I personaly thought he would not make the grade.
He could get the ball but I didnt think he had the wheels or endurance to get to his current level.
I wrote him off two years ago.
To be the real deal he needs to do what he is doing now for the next couple of years but signs are good.

I've also written Paddy off so here is hope!

I never once wrote him off.

I was extremely pissed by all the posters who wanted to trade him out, especially those suggesting throwing him in as the steak knives for Carlisle.

I loved his quick hands and it was obvious to me that he had a football brain.

I love the guy.
Agree Saynta - we were the lone voices when Seb first started getting games. I couldn't understand how posters couldn't see his quick hands & identify his footy nouse - admittedly his handballs at times were too quick for his teammates (IMHO that said more about their lack of footy skills than his) he had that stop & prop element to his game from the first match he played, it's just he was tackled in the process a couple of times. He just needed to strengthen his core & needed to develop his tank more....... but most young players do.

Then when he was showing his endurance was improving, he was 10 weeks out with a hammy. Set him back with the lack of a preseason again. And it was his second time losing multiple weeks with hammy trouble. If I can recollect correctly he missed approx4 weeks the season earlier with hammy problems.

Once he was able to get full preseasons completed, the definite improvement in his strength & endurance was there. But that footy brain, time to make decisions, and brilliant hands were there from the get go - it was obvious the kid had talent, just needed to get over his leg injuries and get more games under his belt. I kept shaking my head when I read posters saying he should be up for trade for years!!!

Bit like the moaners and doubters about Billings, Sinclair, Lonie et al. The naysayers have all wanted these players traded at stages, it's pleasing such winging has subsided on these three. Then they started on Long when he didn't set the world on fire in his first couple of games (Richo's pet etc). Gee, I hope Battle shows some obvious signs of talent or the vociferous minority will be canning him very quickly, because it's obvious they can never see the subtle signs early that given time, development and confidence a young player may surprise them and become very valuable player for the Saints......... patience is required with development, it's usually 2 steps forward, 1 step back over a period of time before all the steps are forward.

Go Sebby........ I'm glad they are all on your bandwagon now :P :P :P

Oh, and bye the way, did anyone see that excellent footage, analysis that David King showed on 360 last night, on how Seb played offensively and defensively on Dusty Martin?

Trouble is, David King is now on the Seb Ross bandwagon, don't know that I'm to thrilled about that! Also David King is starting too sing, 'praise to the world' about Richo's coaching strategies and methods, poor Bluthy would be in melt down at any credit being given to AR. Where is Bluthy these days????

shrodes
SS Life Member

loris wrote: Oh, and bye the way, did anyone see that excellent footage, analysis that David King showed on 360 last night, on how Seb played offensively and defensively on Dusty Martin?

Trouble is, David King is now on the Seb Ross bandwagon, don't know that I'm to thrilled about that! Also David King is starting too sing, 'praise to the world' about Richo's coaching strategies and methods, poor Bluthy would be in melt down at any credit being given to AR. Where is Bluthy these days????
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/david- ... 1499935441

You can see why he often gets the big jobs (eg. Dangerfield). Wins a lot of his own footy and is damaging in offense, but can tag hard defensively on the best in the comp.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

You guys were not the lone voices... you're just the most vocal in reminding everyone that you rated Ross.

Despite having his detractors, Seb has always had his fair share of supporters too. Like many a young player, he showed a lot promise early before things slowed down for him a bit and that got him a lot of fans too.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

For the first time ever (I think) if Ross gets a 5 vote for the Eastern Memorial Player of the Year, we can declare a winner at Round 17 - he is currently 29.5 votes ahead of Roberton with 7 games to go (or 11 if we are including finals)

So the short and definitive answer to the question - on this years form - Saintsational considers him to be the best we have, and also the most outstanding that we have had since 2008.
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Fri 14 Jul 2017 12:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
loris
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
loris wrote: Oh, and bye the way, did anyone see that excellent footage, analysis that David King showed on 360 last night, on how Seb played offensively and defensively on Dusty Martin?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/david- ... 1499935441

You can see why he often gets the big jobs (eg. Dangerfield). Wins a lot of his own footy and is damaging in offense, but can tag hard defensively on the best in the comp.
Great "shrouds" for putting up that link. If you didn't see the commentary on Ross and AR by David King on 360, follow the link shrouds has provided. It's a similar pattern Sebby played when he first lowered Dangerfield's colours.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Seb just has to add a more attacking side to his game and get amongst the goals a bit more- but doing pretty well so far.