The forward line is still a worry...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The forward line is still a worry...

Obviously we have the big guys...
You can usually rely on one of Bruce, Membrey or Roo to do the job...

Tonight it was Tim that went on the rampage and I dare say Roo stood up early and was one of the reasons the game was put to bed early.

That said, Membrey is prone to go missing, Bruce can be very inaccurate and Roo's performance really fluctuates based on how sore that knee is.

Still... minus Tim's pending suspension, there's no real dramas there.

Go down to the next tier..
I'm super impressed with Gresh who seems to have made it his mission to get better at setting goals up in addition to kicking some beauts.

Billings is doing great things off a HFF and obviously he has improved out of sight on last season but he still hasn't quite come on as much as I would have liked... doesn't kick enough goals for mine and is prone to miss the odd sitter, especially from a set shot.

Lonie I don't know what to make of, he seems to be getting better but as a forward pocket he's not kicking goals and he's fluffing really easy ones.

Then tonight you have Long and DMac who harass and chase, and they do it well, but they're really not that damaging either.

Weller is banished from the team the moment following a patch of poor form and neither Wright or Minch who have had multiple shots in that role have been able to cement.

I feel like as a collective group, we haven't yet nailed the right combination of players that compliment each other up forward and the downside of this is that if we don't win the midfield... and guys like Steven, Stevens, Monty, Sinclair and Newnes don't kick 4-5 goals between them, I think we really struggle.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Re: The forward line is still a worry...

skeptic wrote:Obviously we have the big guys...
You can usually rely on one of Bruce, Membrey or Roo to do the job...

Tonight it was Tim that went on the rampage and I dare say Roo stood up early and was one of the reasons the game was put to bed early.

That said, Membrey is prone to go missing, Bruce can be very inaccurate and Roo's performance really fluctuates based on how sore that knee is.

Still... minus Tim's pending suspension, there's no real dramas there.

Go down to the next tier..
I'm super impressed with Gresh who seems to have made it his mission to get better at setting goals up in addition to kicking some beauts.

Billings is doing great things off a HFF and obviously he has improved out of sight on last season but he still hasn't quite come on as much as I would have liked... doesn't kick enough goals for mine and is prone to miss the odd sitter, especially from a set shot.

Lonie I don't know what to make of, he seems to be getting better but as a forward pocket he's not kicking goals and he's fluffing really easy ones.

Then tonight you have Long and DMac who harass and chase, and they do it well, but they're really not that damaging either.

Weller is banished from the team the moment following a patch of poor form and neither Wright or Minch who have had multiple shots in that role have been able to cement.

I feel like as a collective group, we haven't yet nailed the right combination of players that compliment each other up forward and the downside of this is that if we don't win the midfield... and guys like Steven, Stevens, Monty, Sinclair and Newnes don't kick 4-5 goals between them, I think we really struggle.
Is that really what you took from tonight? We were 92 points at half time.

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It will be interesting to see how we go without Membrey in the next two weeks. It'll be a massive blow to lose him.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

H2H,

I think it's really easy to have a win like this one can cover up the cracks but our disposal going forward and the structure is still a worry...

Just because Richmond's disposal going out was soooo horrific and we got multiple goes at it and weren't punished doesn't mean we should be beyond criticism

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:It will be interesting to see how we go without Membrey in the next two weeks. It'll be a massive blow to lose him.
Too true...

Unfortunately of all of our forwards, we don't really have anyone else that plays the Membrey game.

He often gets the third best defender and can really punish teams if they don't show him enough respect.

Pbly Battle is the closest we have to it but I dare say a Weller/Wright is most likely to come in. Paddy if he has a big one but I think they'll want the run instead

carn_sainter
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
White Winmar wrote:It will be interesting to see how we go without Membrey in the next two weeks. It'll be a massive blow to lose him.
Too true...

Unfortunately of all of our forwards, we don't really have anyone else that plays the Membrey game.

He often gets the third best defender and can really punish teams if they don't show him enough respect.

Pbly Battle is the closest we have to it but I dare say a Weller/Wright is most likely to come in. Paddy if he has a big one but I think they'll want the run instead
If Membrey's out, I think Long will stay in Weller's role and Weller will play as the leading/marking option in place of Membrey.

Membrey is a gun footballer.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Lonie won us two 50 meter penalties in the first quarter so maybe he's increasing his value, learning to be a serial pest in the Ballantyne mould! Anyone know what his jabber is like?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Is it time to play two ruckman and rest Hickey forward?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:Lonie won us two 50 meter penalties in the first quarter so maybe he's increasing his value, learning to be a serial pest in the Ballantyne mould! Anyone know what his jabber is like?
Apparently constant and buzzing - someone said something about a mosquito fleet that he took to heart

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:
freely wrote:Lonie won us two 50 meter penalties in the first quarter so maybe he's increasing his value, learning to be a serial pest in the Ballantyne mould! Anyone know what his jabber is like?
Apparently constant and buzzing - someone said something about a mosquito fleet that he took to heart
Smallest player on the team, but always the first to start shoving an opposition player. Just ask Cotchin how annoying he is

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Some are hard to please? Bruce could have should have kicked 5 but otherwise it was sublime.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
Smallest player on the team, but always the first to start shoving an opposition player. Just ask Cotchin how annoying he is
He is so annoying that he annoys mosquitoes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Some are hard to please? Bruce could have should have kicked 5 but otherwise it was sublime.
Hard to please - try bordering on impossible

After the Suns game (currently 13th) we kick 14.19 - everyone screams for 19.14
After the Freo game (currently 14th) we kick 12.17 - everyone screams for 17.12

After the Tigers game (currently 4th) we kick 21.12 and still the calls come for a better forward structure!!!!!

Get over yourselves.

― Aristophanes

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:Some are hard to please? Bruce could have should have kicked 5 but otherwise it was sublime.

After the Tigers game (currently 4th) we kick 21.12 and still the calls come for a better forward structure!!!!!

Get over yourselves.
21.12 is acceptable EVERY FAKRING WEEK!!!

I hope Paddy doesn't replace Membrey.

Paddy needs to play in the magoos for a few weeks to see if he still has some form. Plus he disposes the ball too slowly and stuffs up our structure as a result.

I was hoping Holler For would be an option but his form hasn't gone backwards a bit at Sandy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geeez some of you guys are sensitive...

I didn't say we played poorly just that the forward still hasn't clicked.

Unlike many of you fickle supporters my views on where the team is at doesn't change at the drop of a hat.

Many of you guys thought we were top 4 after GWS, were rubbish and needed a complete rebuild a month ago, were underperforming and didn't have good skills a fortnight ago and now think everything is perfect and working fine after last night.
The same ppl that thought Bruce was rubbish, Riewoldt and Monty should retire, that Gresh needs to be dropped, that Acres should be traded etc

Me I've maintained that I reckon we're a 4-6 team lacking class in the middle to be a serious threat. The only thing that's changed is that I reckon the HFF is more our problem than the mid.

Heaven forbid I suggest not everything is fixed after a big win

Before last night, most felt it was a challenge for us to make finals. One win doesn't change that

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Probably unrealistic to expect all of your players to fire at the same time every week.

Billings was down last night > Gresham was on.

Bruce was missing easy goals > Membrey was nailing them.

So long as you have enough guys getting it done each week then we'll be in games, if someone is off for 2-3 weeks (or 13 in wellers case) then someone else gets a turn.

Guys like Long and DMac we'll need patience with as they work their way towards 50 games, not an easy jump from VFL obviously.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Geeez some of you guys are sensitive...

I didn't say we played poorly just that the forward still hasn't clicked.

Unlike many of you fickle supporters my views on where the team is at doesn't change at the drop of a hat.

Many of you guys thought we were top 4 after GWS, were rubbish and needed a complete rebuild a month ago, were underperforming and didn't have good skills a fortnight ago and now think everything is perfect and working fine after last night.
The same ppl that thought Bruce was rubbish, Riewoldt and Monty should retire, that Gresh needs to be dropped, that Acres should be traded etc

Me I've maintained that I reckon we're a 4-6 team lacking class in the middle to be a serious threat. The only thing that's changed is that I reckon the HFF is more our problem than the mid.

Heaven forbid I suggest not everything is fixed after a big win

Before last night, most felt it was a challenge for us to make finals. One win doesn't change that
Skeptic - I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment - but is it not a discussion for Wednesday, not Sunday?

Sunday it for basking in the glow of an 11 goal hiding of a supposed top four side and for being 5th at the moment (with the slim chance that we stay there)

― Aristophanes

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

Get over yourselves.
21.12 is acceptable EVERY FAKRING WEEK!!!

I hope Paddy doesn't replace Membrey.

Paddy needs to play in the magoos for a few weeks to see if he still has some form. Plus he disposes the ball too slowly and stuffs up our structure as a result.

I was hoping Holler For would be an option but his form hasn't gone backwards a bit at Sandy.

Agree entirely.

I got home from the game at 2:30 and read the match thread. I suggest everybody has a read of skeptic's comments through the night. Then, to read this thread!

Tell me again, what is baiting?

Saint supporter since '62
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'm just saying
Really rate our backline
Our mids generally get the job done even if they lack polish at times
We've got decent marking forwards

But I reckon our Achilles heel at the moment is across half forward going into the 50m... and I reckon that's the cause of our erratic form.
And despite the big win it stood out to me last night is all and I don't know what we do about it.

And Sainter Dad - I take ur point

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon I agree ( in varying degrees) with both skeptic and Sainter Dad in their views. Yes, skeptic, one thumping good win does not make EVERYTHING "hunky dory"at the Saints.

Of course it's legitimate to point to areas for improvement, if they're causing concern. However, I agree with Sainter Dad in his view that making criticism of the side after such a good win is for Wednesday! :D

My take? Well, I'm happy with the progress made this season, and make NO mistake, we ARE making steady and consistent progress. Perhaps not at the pace that we would all like it to be, but I'll take it! Yes, lots of room for improvement, but signs a-plenty of an upward trajectory in our fortunes.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)