Tim Membery

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tim Membery

So one from left field, is it a chance to play Hickey as a forward/2nd ruck? We know he can mark and his kicking is not too bad - and he would not be getting the best defender!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:Hoping he only gets a week for that (slightly) late knock.
Will possibly get 2 though.
Was a great target tonight, strong marking, great kicking.

Will be missed.

Cmon Paddy over to you, back yourself.

Spelling?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Premium89 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:2 or 3 weeks after the downgrade.

This is gong to stuff us up a bit.

The options are Paddy or Josh Battle.

Maybe Carlisle forward if need be?
Carlisle to swing forward, back and everywhere else to help us get across the line against his old team!!
Sandy are playing Marshall in the back line. Maybe he can come in as a back and Carlisle can go forward and, if need be, they can swap around as required. Otherwise Battle as the straight swap for Membrey and see what he's got (after maybe half a match at Sandy today due to the 5 day break).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Looks bad but Saints should argue that initial contact was hip to body and forearm contact was incidental. Most damage from face hitting ground.

Waleed Aly on Offsiders said it was one of those that looked worse in slow motion than it really was. Possible character witness?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think Marshall is doing his backline apprenticeship before he becomes a permanent forward/ruck. If he turns out to be a better defender than forward, I've got no issues sending Carlisle forward.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:So one from left field, is it a chance to play Hickey as a forward/2nd ruck? We know he can mark and his kicking is not too bad - and he would not be getting the best defender!
This.

I was just about to post this suggestion myself. Hickey has kicked goals for us in the past, notably in a game against GWS at Docklands, and was played as a forward at Gold Coast - most notably in a game against Collingwood at the G. Probably not as a long term forward option, but could fill the void for a couple of weeks until Membrey comes back in. At least that will allow for Longer to get a chop out in the ruck, and it enables Gilbert to not have to assume ruck duties where the potential for injury is ever present.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I personally thought it looked pretty ordinary and wont be surprised if it goes straight to the tribunal. If that was a Richmond player getting Geary or Gilbert that way we would be up in arms. He's lucky Grimes got up and wasnt stretched off.

If he gets less than 4 he'll be a lucky boy. Didn't like it.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

samuraisaint wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:So one from left field, is it a chance to play Hickey as a forward/2nd ruck? We know he can mark and his kicking is not too bad - and he would not be getting the best defender!
This.

I was just about to post this suggestion myself. Hickey has kicked goals for us in the past, notably in a game against GWS at Docklands, and was played as a forward at Gold Coast - most notably in a game against Collingwood at the G. Probably not as a long term forward option, but could fill the void for a couple of weeks until Membrey comes back in. At least that will allow for Longer to get a chop out in the ruck, and it enables Gilbert to not have to assume ruck duties where the potential for injury is ever present.
Not the worst idea. You'd think we'd be able to dominate the rucks with those two in tandem.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:I personally thought it looked pretty ordinary and wont be surprised if it goes straight to the tribunal. If that was a Richmond player getting Geary or Gilbert that way we would be up in arms. He's lucky Grimes got up and wasnt stretched off.

Have you watched the incident multiple times or are you going on first impression?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
8856brother wrote:I personally thought it looked pretty ordinary and wont be surprised if it goes straight to the tribunal. If that was a Richmond player getting Geary or Gilbert that way we would be up in arms. He's lucky Grimes got up and wasnt stretched off.

Have you watched the incident multiple times or are you going on first impression?
It hasn't changed the 10 times I've seen it replayed. Not sure how we can excuse it. Joey just gave him a couple of weeks off on TFS.

I think if he gets 2 or 3 he should just take it and move on.

He got him in the head and he ended up concussed. That is pretty much the story of the tape he will go for it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
This.

Not the worst idea. You'd think we'd be able to dominate the rucks with those two in tandem.
Nah, Essendon are a quick side too so I think we'll be shredded for pace if we go in with 2 rucks.

Milne
Club Player

It wasn't intentional but the AFL has said that they want to protect the head, and Membery smashed straight through his head.

2 weeks is a good outcome with an early plea.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the video for the first time.

That raised elbow will see him go.
3 weeks reduced to 2 if we are lucky.

Losing Tim for the next two weeks will be a real blow. We have no like for like replacement for him.

Most likely they will bring Paddy back.

Alternatively we just go with a smaller forward line.

So no Tim and Jim for the Dons game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:I say it every week, but Tim Membrey judges the ball in flight as good as anyone in the comp.

I was thinking this exact thing during the game last night. He is always exactly where the ball is going irrespective of what everyone else is doing. This often allows him to outmark taller opponents.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Hope for 1, more likely 2

Nee!
kazonte13
Club Player

Couple of weeks for Members ,is Battle ready to show us his stuff ,see how he goes today .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Didn't look good - at least 2

Yes, I'm sorry to say. :cry:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He either gets 2 or it goes to the tribunal.

It depends if it gets graded as careless or intentional.

It's fairly black and white.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
longtimesaint
Club Player

I think it was careless as it seems out of character.
It appears he was flying for the mark and realized he could not get it and turned to brace for contact.

One year will be our year
dragit
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-09/p ... e-big-bans

Membrey is facing the harshest suspension of the round so far after arriving late to a contest and planting his forearm into the face of Richmond defender Dylan Grimes on Saturday night.

I think this description is wrong, I don't think you can be considered late to a contest if you would have taken a chest mark. Membreys timing was perfect to take the ball as it is in most contests.

Grimes courageously put himself in a very dangerous position running back with the flight of the ball giving himself zero protection from the contest. Very hard to pull up mid air when you are flying for a mark, but unfortunately in protecting himself Membrey has taken Grimes out. No malice or intent to injure though.

3 down to 2.

Cotchin deserves a week for stupidity, if they start handing out 1 week bans for all punches off the ball then we could get rid of this blight on the game.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Absolutely no way he goes to the tribunal. Reckless, head high contact, high impact. Surely that's only 3 down to 2. If he goes to the tribunal along the same lines as the Houli and Bugg punches that weren't in play, the systems broke.

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Surely we bring in Acres as Membrey replacement. Can play 3rd tall and doesn't mess up our structure like other replacements would. Can also take a clunk or two

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Careless, high impact and high contact - 3 weeks or 2 with a guilty plea.

23Buckets

Proph3t of egan wrote:Absolutely no way he goes to the tribunal. Reckless, head high contact, high impact. Surely that's only 3 down to 2. If he goes to the tribunal along the same lines as the Houli and Bugg punches that weren't in play, the systems broke.
Agree. Only thing that goes against him is he takes his eye off the ball while in the air and ends up leading with his elbow. Side note disgraceful umpiring that it wasn't 50..