Season defining game - this is it!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Season defining game - this is it!

We play Richmond in the last game of the year, just 7 weeks away. But it is our game today that will, in all likelihood, determine whether we are finalists or not. We are close to full strength (except for an undisciplined eye gouge last week). We are playing "at home", where our woeful accuracy is less woeful. The question is, can we beat this opposition?

Richmond rely on three players to win matches - Alex Rance, Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt - in that order. We need to break at least two of them to win. Our midfield is the match of Richmond's. Seb Ross can be as dangerous as Dustin Martin. Our backline is showing signs of integration with Jake Carlisle having the physical strength to match strong opponents. Which leaves Alex Rance to be countered. He is the Richmond backline and covers enormous ground to make up for errors by teammates, being able to leave his opponent because he is so confident in his abilities (rightly so). He must not be allowed to roam free. Unfortunately, he gets to decide who he plays on in the modern game when teams play one extra man in defence. So whoever it is, he must run him away from the action as much as possible. A fit and younger Nick would have been the go to opponent - not anymore. It is likely to be Tim Membrey. So, it will be run, run and run to sacrifice rather than receive. This is easier said than done, especially at Docklands, but the sacrifice will be worth it.

So tonight, at about 10 o'clock, we will have a good idea of where we are. Are we the team who ran over GWS in the final quarter or the team that misses so many chances that opponents are given not one, but two or three opportunities to catch up.

This is it!
Last edited by perfectionist on Sat 08 Jul 2017 12:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Season defining game - this is it!

Agree with defining game, although the way this season ig going there is likely to be a few extra twists and turns in the tale.

I love your optimism but Dusty is much more dangerous than Ross, as he goes forward and kicks goals. controlling the ball is critical and matching the mids where we may bat a little deeper but not quite the class. I would run Stevens head to head with Dusty at times - he nullified Walters for most of the last quarter last week - and is strong enough . Cotchin and Ellis have been good for them of recent times.
Rance is the best defender in the league and as said zones off beautifully . Membrey the likely opponent must look to start in 50 as France will let him roll up to the wing and not go with. Entry in to 50 must change direction and lower the eyes as Rance will float off to the contest. Use his man inside 50 as much as possible with Bruce almost decoy .

Riewoldt even when we win usually kicks a few so Brown important and Carlisle being able to zone off .

Goal kicking and not turning the ball over especially by foot, are the keys

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

A breakout game is close for Gresham I feel. Let's hope it's tonight.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Agree with defining game, although the way this season ig going there is likely to be a few extra twists and turns in the tale.
I agree that we must play well tonight.

The Saints do not have an easy run home.

With our poor % we may well need to be a game clear of whomever finishes 9th. Maybe not if we can have a good win over WCE and if the Dogs stay poor despite their relatively easy run home.

So to be fairly sure that is 5 out of games with preferably us defeating at least two of Swans, WCE and the Demons as they are the teams that we play that we are most likely to knock out of the what will be the final 8.

With our tough run home it is difficult to see us making the 8 if we do not knock off the Tigers in at least one of the two games that we play them in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

We haven't really "clicked" as a team much this season, but surely it is going to happen

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:We play Richmond in the last game of the year, just 7 weeks away. But it is our game today that will, in all likelihood, determine whether we are finalists or not. We are close to full strength (except for an undisciplined eye gouge last week). We are playing "at home", where our woeful accuracy is less woeful. The question is, can we beat this opposition?

Richmond rely on three players to win matches - Alex Rance, Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt - in that order. We need to break at least two of them to win. Our midfield is the match of Richmond's. Seb Ross can be as dangerous as Dustin Martin. Our backline is showing signs of integration with Jake Carlisle having the physical strength to match strong opponents. Which leaves Alex Rance to be countered. He is the Richmond backline and covers enormous ground to make up for errors by teammates, being able to leave his opponent because he is so confident in his abilities (rightly so). He must not be allowed to roam free. Unfortunately, he gets to decide who he plays on in the modern game when teams play one extra man in defence. So whoever it is, he must run him away from the action as much as possible. A fit and younger Nick would have been the go to opponent - not anymore. It is likely to be Tim Membrey. So, it will be run, run and run to sacrifice rather than receive. This is easier said than done, especially at Docklands, but the sacrifice will be worth it.

So tonight, at about 10 o'clock, we will have a good idea of where we are. Are we the team who ran over GWS in the final quarter or the team that misses so many chances that opponents are given not one, but two or three opportunities to catch up.

This is it!
Agree on all of this - but you have left out one very important Richmond player - the fourth player Richmond rely on to win matches - Trent Cotchin. When he isn't out there Richmond struggle. He marshalls the troops in the middle and directs traffic through the centre of the ground. He plays a role similar to our own Nathan Burke for them and is an extremely important player to counter if we are to win tonight. I think the important inclusions for us this year are our bona fide full back and centre half back, which we haven't really had since the Lyon-era. Brown can take Riewoldt - who has killed us in the past, and this will allow Carlisle to act as a weapon running upfield and acting as a very damaging fourth forward option at times. In this way Carlisle can be our secret weapon tonight. Rance won't be so quick to back himself and run forward if he has to chase and counter Carlisle running back.

I also agree that this game is season defining. If we can't beat Richmond on our home deck in July, then there is really no point making finals this year, in the unlikely event that we do make it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
older saint wrote:Agree with defining game, although the way this season ig going there is likely to be a few extra twists and turns in the tale.
I agree that we must play well tonight.

The Saints do not have an easy run home.

With our poor % we may well need to be a game clear of whomever finishes 9th. Maybe not if we can have a good win over WCE and if the Dogs stay poor despite their relatively easy run home.

So to be fairly sure that is 5 out of games with preferably us defeating at least two of Swans, WCE and the Demons as they are the teams that we play that we are most likely to knock out of the what will be the final 8.

With our tough run home it is difficult to see us making the 8 if we do not knock off the Tigers in at least one of the two games that we play them in.
And nor would we deserve to. We also play Sydney in the run home, who I don't expect us to beat, but if they do beat us twice this year then we can't reasonably expect to finish above them on the ladder. In some ways that Sydney game at the SCG is another season defining game as if they give us a hiding then we will need to completely reconfigure our entire game plan. For a side that prides itself on it's physicality at the contest Sydney have made an art form of handing us our butts on a platter back to us in this arena since 2012, and if we base our entire game plan around this aspect of of our playing strategy, then this will need serious reconsideration if we are not the best in the business at it.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 08 Jul 2017 1:22pm, edited 2 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Richmond are a good side, better than us ATM. If they beat us tonight, we can still make the finals. I reckon the drop dead game is the Bombers.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Seven games to go after tonight. Every game we've played in the past six weeks has been "season defining". You'll be able to say the same about every game we play from now on, until it's mathematically impossible for us to make the eight. Stating the bleedin' obvious. If we lose tonight, we'll be equal eighth at worst and play the dopers in another "season defining" game next week.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

We can make the finals if we don't win tonight but we probably won't do any damage in September.
If we win tonight and finally click into top gear (kick straight) anything is still possible. No side in the eight has more improvement in them than us, tonight could be massive for the club

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm optimistic about tonight, but gee we could have done with Webster on board. Some fans like to applaud players who "fly the flag". I prefer players with enough self-discipline to stay out of trouble.

Webster particularly shone in our best performance this year: against GWS. He's a needed player.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It is a season defining game, unless we lose, then it's just a hiccup.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

If Port beats the West Cokers,
they go from 8th to 4th, because of their massive percentage

If we beat Tigers, regardless of who wins out of Port and WCE, we go 7th

If Carlscum beats the Dees (won't happen) we go up to 6th.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:If Port beats the West Cokers,
they go from 8th to 4th, because of their massive percentage

Port are 5th. They could win and stay fifth if Richmond win. But that won't happen.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shrodes
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:I'm optimistic about tonight, but gee we could have done with Webster on board. Some fans like to applaud players who "fly the flag". I prefer players with enough self-discipline to stay out of trouble.

Webster particularly shone in our best performance this year: against GWS. He's a needed player.
I'm not optimistic but I will steal some of yours if that's ok. Very nervous. If we beat the Tigers we are a real shot at finals.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

We only stay in the 8 if we win. I hope they surprise me because I am not feeling confident.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Ross is the equal of Martin?

Seriously? Martin does the don't argue and cuts through defences like a hot freakin knife thru butter

He spots up other Tiges
Ross plays different

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SMS
Club Player

Was going to start thread on this but nah ill keep it half quiet. I had great chat yesterday with a young saint and lets just say we are On the right track. I want to see some of the proof tonight, but basically very VERY positive about future but surptisingly THIS year
These cats actually believe in the flag THIS year. and onight is our announcing night.

I believe him you all would but I wanna see it tonight. Interesting. Apparently communication has improved ten fold the last month. There was some issues taken care of and now we will APPARENTLY flourish. Exciting, but yeah we'll see.

SMS
Club Player

IMO if we learn to kick the fn goals we can beat anyone

SMS
Club Player

OK!! lol fair to say I believe him 100% now. best half ive ever seen.

SMS
Club Player

just to be clear this player was very serious about a flag this year. I kinda laughed it off. feel like a fool now. WTF is happening. This is dream stuff.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I wish Paddy was playing

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mullet
Saintsational Legend

geez he was right

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Was going to start thread on this but nah ill keep it half quiet. I had great chat yesterday with a young saint and lets just say we are On the right track. I want to see some of the proof tonight, but basically very VERY positive about future but surptisingly THIS year
These cats actually believe in the flag THIS year. and onight is our announcing night.

I believe him you all would but I wanna see it tonight. Interesting. Apparently communication has improved ten fold the last month. There was some issues taken care of and now we will APPARENTLY flourish. Exciting, but yeah we'll see.
In hindsight, extremely interesting post SMS.

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Absolutely.