MRP - Webster 2 weeks, Steven fine

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: MRP - Webster 2 weeks, Steven fine

They knew his "intent", but accepted the ban. As they should.

I guess Webster's version is that it was a joke (he was laughing at the bloke while he did it). If so, it's not a good enough explanation. You don't touch the faces of opponents.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Watching Jimmy over the last few years, he's as aggressive and niggly as all hell and I love it! He's exactly what we need and with Jake C, having tough aggressive, borderline dirty defenders is important! All the best teams have had one or two 'nutters'! They need to be carefully managed, for sure and they need to toe a fine line...but asking them to change and lose that aggression is a lost cause!
It depends on what you mean by "borderline dirty".

Of course a good defender has to bend the rules in terms of grappling with this opponent, jumping early, chopping the arms, etc. But, in the modern game, with cameras trained all over the ground, players who punch, scratch, eye-gouge, etc. their opponents and keep ending up with longer and longer stints on the sideline courtesy of the MRP are a luxury that no serious team can afford to have on their list.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:They knew his "intent", but accepted the ban. As they should.

I guess Webster's version is that it was a joke (he was laughing at the bloke while he did it). If so, it's not a good enough explanation. You don't touch the faces of opponents.
I believe that I have deciphered the intent.

The first time he grabbed for Subans ear, and gave it a little tug, the second time while doing the same thing his thumb hit the eye.

I believe that he was attempting to pull the ear - like a mother does to a little child, but I still think it was dumb!

It was intentional, it was around the facial area, it was probably low impact - but it was freaking DUMB!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

FFS.

The bogun from Tasmania is fast becoming one of our most important players.

This is a big out.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
oh when the
Club Player

Bugg suspended for six weeks

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:
meher baba wrote: If the club decided to de-list him, I'd back them.
Care to elaborate? Why would the club delist Jimmy?
Because I don't care how good a player he is (and I reckon he's a really good one: potential AA in a year or two), I see attacking the eyes of an opponent to be an appalling action, and presumably a symptom of a complete lack of self-discipline, total stupidity or both. Do we really want such players at our club?

I want us to completely leave behind the days of being the knockabout party club and become a ruthless, professional outfit dedicated to being one of the top 5 or 6 clubs for the next few decades. This was the vision of Butterss, GT and Waldron when they were all working well together. The club lost the plot a bit fter those days: putting everything into rolling the dice for a flag, rather than looking to the long term. Understandable, but we are paying for it now.

I would like to think that Finnis, Richo and co are now back with the program. I'm sure Webster will be given another chance, but, if he blows it, I reckon the club should look seriously at moving him on. It would send the right signal to the rest of the squad, and to the footy world in general.
In all my decades of going to, playing and reading about footy possibly the most inane viewpoint I've ever encountered. So who is the person who decides this arbitrary line which people who cross lose their career and livelihood without chance for redemption or atonement, you? Please name even a vague precedent or parallel for your suggested sanction.

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

One thing's for sure, the GT, Buttersssss, Waldron, Bevo days were the golden ones with our best chance of jagging that second flag. All those guys loved the saints with a fierce passion. RL was good, but those guys burned for St.Kilda. Watson, Blight, Waterssss, Pelican, Elshaug, et al. are nowhere in the same class when it comes to seeing St.Kilda succeed. If only we could have our time again. We'd win five flags I reckon. AR is as good as anyone we've had since. Get rid of the numpties in recruiting and a couple of hiders in the assistants' ranks and we can do it again.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!