Worth a try?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Worth a try?

Given how poor our goal kicking has been especially early on in games it could be worth going back to what other teams do and have a bit more of an on ground warm up before the coin toss instead of coming out late.
The coaches could say we are doing this because it will improve our accuracy early and mentally the players may believe it and also it may actually help.
This aspect of our game couldn't be worse at the moment and it could be the difference between some success this year

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Worth a try?

After the (ahem) " returns" (?) from our kicking yesterday, I'd try just about ANYTHING (legal!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Legendary
Club Player

We are currently on track for one of the worst five seasons in VFL/AFL history for goal kicking accuracy (at around 45%).

This is despite playing half of our games indoors.

It nearly cost us the match yesterday, just as it did against the Eagles.

Our percentage is the worst in the top 8 and if we win 12 for the year, a poor percentage could cost us a finals spot.

Richardson and the players have said all year that they are training as hard as normal and the goal kicking "will turn itself around". Yet our record is consistently so poor that it's more than bad luck. It's not a matter of "turning itself around". It's the one glaringly bad part of our game that would have seen us with one more win this year (against the Eagles) and a much better percentage.

We kicked 14.23 against Brisbane, 9.15 against Collingwood, 12.13 against Carlton, 12.17 against North, 14.19 against Gold Coast and 12.17 against Fremantle. That's 73.104 in 6 wins.

If we'd reversed that and kicked 104.73 (59% accuracy) across those six wins, our percentage would be the 5th best in the league...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The problem is we have a lot of average kicks in our side with not a lot of depth to there kicking,and we play an above intensity game. Fatigue has to be the main factor when you're not a long kick and only just average by foot.

Bring back the Lockett era
shrodes
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:If we'd reversed that and kicked 104.73 (59% accuracy) across those six wins, our percentage would be the 5th best in the league...
I agree with what you said. But league average is around 53% so you're probably aiming a bit high :D

If it was a statistical anomaly it should have regressed towards the mean by now I think. But it is consistently poor. This indicates either a problem with gameplan, such as rushed shots or shots from too far out / hard angles, or training. I'm going to say training as we are missing very very easy shots, though our bomb it long to the goalsquare and try to crumb strategy is not blameless either.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Posters, including me, were hard on Lonie for playing on twice when he had a kick for goal in range, albeit on an acute angle.

But perhaps he had the right idea: if a player really doesn't feel they can make a set shot, then it's better for them to try to pass to someone in a better position. A lot of our guys run in set shots looking like they've already given up, and not surprisingly they proceed to miss them. A lot of them seem to be having trouble handling the pressure of taking a set shot, and the best thing the coach can do is to take the pressure off them.

At least this week it didn't look as much as if they were under instructions to run the shot clock down. So they were concentrating harder: and it did get better as the game went along.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Posters, including me, were hard on Lonie for playing on twice when he had a kick for goal in range, albeit on an acute angle.

But perhaps he had the right idea: if a player really doesn't feel they can make a set shot, then it's better for them to try to pass to someone in a better position. A lot of our guys run in set shots looking like they've already given up, and not surprisingly they proceed to miss them. A lot of them seem to be having trouble handling the pressure of taking a set shot, and the best thing the coach can do is to take the pressure off them.

At least this week it didn't look as much as if they were under instructions to run the shot clock down. So they were concentrating harder: and it did get better as the game went along.
I do not have the stats at hand - but I seem to have a nagging thought that we are better after half time - is there anyway we can look at this?

Looked at this - I am so wrong - we are just as bad in the 2nd half

84/99 in the first
87/102 in the second

So we have kicked 3/3 more in the second half but 45.90% for the first half and 46.03% for the second

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!