Changes v Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Changes v Tigers

In: Hickey, Acres, Freeman
Out: Longer (managed), Gilbert (concussions)? Steven (suspended)?

Obviously a lot depends on the medical report on Gilbert and whether Jack gets rubbed out.

Freeman's getting good numbers in the VFL so I can't see why he wouldn't be considered for his AFL debut.

Acres was emergency in Perth so didn't get the chance to push his claims for reinclusion.

We know his best is good enough.

Longer is due a spell and we need to keep two capable ruckmen on the list. So tIme to give Hickey a run.

If Steven cops a fine and Gilbert is okay then Dunstan and or Mav may be vulnerable.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Tigers

I think it would be Savage for Gilbert if needed. I thought I'd read somewhere that Freeman is being kept for 2018.

Why would Longer be dropped? He went ok and we did quite well in the clearances.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Why would Longer be dropped? He went ok and we did quite well in the clearances.
I said managed, not dropped. The same way that Hickey was (managed) not dropped - to get Longer back in.

As for Longer, it was one of his better games. I rate hIm quite highly for his strengths which are durability, strength and endurance. But let's not undersell what Hickey provides around the ground and as a footballer.

I think the club needs to keep both on the list and so I expect them to give both stints as we seem unlikely to play two ruckmen.

I think Acres is ahead of Savage.

Richo has said Freeman is being saved for next season, but, if he is racking up good numbers in the VFL and running out games, why wouldn't you consider him?
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 03 Jul 2017 8:46am, edited 2 times in total.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Mav has to be rested. Freeman won't play this year as they want him to keep getting better in VFL so he can kill it next year after another pre season. Paddy should stay in the VFL so he can get his confidence up and start getting better and get fitter.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Mav and Lonie out.

Steven will get a fine at worst.

Acres for Lonie is a no brainer.

Freeman is tempting.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm in the conservative lobby as far as Nathan Freeman is concerned. Build up his fitness, and confidence in the VFL. He has time on his side, and I don't feel the need to rush his progress at this stage. 2018 looks like a very good time to bring the lad in, especially if we recruit one or two established midfielders into the squad.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Weller out is a non negotiable. If he plays again the club needs to look for new administration and coaching staff. I don't understand longer playing well, he got trounced by a fat kid straight out of the WAFL. Hickey in
Dunstan/lonie are on shaky ground.

We really need to be out of finals contention for the list to improve. There are 5-6 that need to come out , Richardson plays it safe and plays his favourites.

If freemanfield is a level above the seconds then WTF is he consigned to playing the rest of the year there!? Where is the reward for effort!!!!!? Whilst we gift games to Weller who has played 14 putrid games in a row.

Bring back the Lockett era
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Richo hates making changes and after 3 wins on the trot it will only be forced ones.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Winmar
Club Player

The intensity is much higher at AFL level, so I can understand why they wouldn't want to risk Freeman having his hammy go ping by playing him this year.

Mav is a bit lucky to still be in the team, so may finally get dropped. Dunstan was good last week, but too quiet yesterday.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Injuries aside, there's really only two players who may find their spots vulnerable.

Weller and Dunstan.

Dunstan has been ok the two weeks prior to this week, so probably deserves to hold his spot. Weller has surely run out of chances.

Acres would be the likely inclusion.

Calls for Lonie to be dropped are wide of the mark. His contribution was very important yesterday and I would think Richo would have been impressed with his game.

carn_sainter
Club Player

I agree that Freeman should play the year out in the VFL. Huge step up to the AFL.

We don't have heaps of options for players to bring in, unfortunately.

I think Acres and Hickey are in the best 22 and would like to see them in.

Savage. McKenzie, Rice, Holmes, Long, McCartin, Pierce, Wright...none of these guys would make any real impact for us.

Weller is in poor form, but I think he's a better bet than anyone who could come in to replace him. Unless we play Acres in his role, which would be an improvement, I reckon. That competition for spots that we all thought was there early in the year and preseason evidently isn't there at the moment.

Richmond look pretty good. I haven't watched them play this year...can anyone bring me up to speed? The look fast, skilled, good experience and leadership. Are they the real deal?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Weller out is a non negotiable. If he plays again the club needs to look for new administration and coaching staff. I don't understand longer playing well, he got trounced by a fat kid straight out of the WAFL. Hickey in

We really need to be out of finals contention for the list to improve. There are 5-6 that need to come out , Richardson plays it safe and plays his favourites.

If freemanfield is a level above the seconds then WTF is he consigned to playing the rest of the year there!? Where is the reward for effort!!!!!? Whilst we gift games to Weller who has played 14 putrid games in a row.
I'm so glad you aren't in charge of anything at the club (well at least I hope you aren't). We "need" to drop out of finals contention? 5 or 6 players should be dropped? Weller has played "putrid" games? If he's selected again then everyone at the club should be sacked?

Could you remind me which club you support, because it's a bit hard for me to work it out.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:I agree that Freeman should play the year out in the VFL. Huge step up to the AFL.

We don't have heaps of options for players to bring in, unfortunately.

I think Acres and Hickey are in the best 22 and would like to see them in.

Savage. McKenzie, Rice, Holmes, Long, McCartin, Pierce, Wright...none of these guys would make any real impact for us.

Weller is in poor form, but I think he's a better bet than anyone who could come in to replace him. Unless we play Acres in his role, which would be an improvement, I reckon. That competition for spots that we all thought was there early in the year and preseason evidently isn't there at the moment.

Richmond look pretty good. I haven't watched them play this year...can anyone bring me up to speed? The look fast, skilled, good experience and leadership. Are they the real deal?
Richmond are like us in the early 90s, when we had Lockett, Winmar, Harvey and Frawley - the Fab Four as they used to say. Four of the best players in the league in their positions, but the talent fell away after that. We also had Stewie Loewe and Nathan Bourke.
Richmond have arguably the best player in the league, Martin, the best key position defender in the AFL, Rance, Jack Riewoldt, who plays a lot like Nick these days, and Cotchin. They have added pace to their team with Rioli and Butler too. If two or more of these players are down or injured they fall away badly, particularly in the last quarter of games. But this would probably be true of many teams. They lost to Fremantle at the MCG this year and lost to Adelaide in Adelaide by nearly 80 points so they are gettable. But - we need to convert in front of goal a lot better than we have been this year or they will beat us.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
jonesy wrote:Weller out is a non negotiable. If he plays again the club needs to look for new administration and coaching staff. I don't understand longer playing well, he got trounced by a fat kid straight out of the WAFL. Hickey in

I'm so glad you aren't in charge of anything at the club (well at least I hope you aren't). We "need" to drop out of finals contention? 5 or 6 players should be dropped? Weller has played "putrid" games? If he's selected again then everyone at the club should be sacked?

Could you remind me which club you support, because it's a bit hard for me to work it out.
I'm sorry I'm wrong,because we're "ok"......
I am not happy with ok. We need to demand more than just "ok".
Clearly I'm joking in reference to sacking everyone at the club in regards to Weller's baffling selection,I think...
If his games haven't been putrid then what have they been? His performance this year has not been ok. Where is the selection integrity when he keeps getting selected.

Yes my posts are over the top negative atm,because I am so frustrated watching our progression the last two months(someone needs to take BM's place :wink: ). It's the most frustrated I've been watching Stkilda for a long long time. We seem to be treading water. Yes we are currently 8th,but we have a hard run home so we will need to improve to stay there on current form. If we do so great.

The reference to needing to be out of contention for the list to improve. I think our selections are too safe. We invested the once in 10-20 year Pick 1 in the draft on a key power forward, who is being managed poorly. There is no room for him,Rewoildt, Bruce and Membrey in the one side. Rewoildt has been playing on one leg,how is this good for the side?

The good news is the scope for improvement is out of sight! Currently,as it sits,I'm not totally convinced it's going to come the way we are operating at the moment, do I hope I am wrong,100%!!

Bring back the Lockett era
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The more I reflect on the game the more I appreciate the steel (rules allow puns?) in the effort. Took Freo's attempts at intimidations and payed back with interest. Great win. Aftermath -
On thin ice: Jack the Lonie and Mav.
Jack S will possibly be suspended in the aftermath of Houli and Bugg hits, to be PC.
Sammy G probably one match rest : concussion
First guessing selection 3/4 ins: Paddy Mc; Blake A; B. Rice; and no really no idea perhaps one of Lonie or Mav stay in.
Did I mention what a good win it was. Hope its a real water shed. Go Saints.

older saint
SS Life Member

Richmond have a 1 big forward line with mediums and smalls.

Brown on Riewoldt and Carlisle the lose or when ruckman floats forward.

Out : Gilbert (conc), Mav. Longer

In: Rice, Acres, Hickey

If Steven goes then probably add savage or McKenzie .

Longer just gives us nothing around the ground but better presence at stoppages. When you watch and are surprised when your ruckman marks the ball it is a concern. Both he and Hickey are young in Ruck terms so will get better however both seem to run out of form after 5-6 games.

shrodes
SS Life Member

older saint wrote: Longer just gives us nothing around the ground but better presence at stoppages. When you watch and are surprised when your ruckman marks the ball it is a concern. Both he and Hickey are young in Ruck terms so will get better however both seem to run out of form after 5-6 games.
Nankervis gets around the ground a bit and takes marks.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=S&fid2=S

But also has a weight advantage on Hickey (106kg vs 98kg).
Maybe you rely on Hickey to provide around the ground and take the loss at hitouts, hoping your mids can shark them off Nank.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Whoever was manning Walters should go straight to the VFL- the guy got too many easy disposals with next to no pressure applied

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Richmond have a 1 big forward line with mediums and smalls.

Brown on Riewoldt and Carlisle the lose or when ruckman floats forward.

Out : Gilbert (conc), Mav. Longer

In: Rice, Acres, Hickey

If Steven goes then probably add savage or McKenzie .

Longer just gives us nothing around the ground but better presence at stoppages. When you watch and are surprised when your ruckman marks the ball it is a concern. Both he and Hickey are young in Ruck terms so will get better however both seem to run out of form after 5-6 games.
Rice is in because...? I watched most of the Sandringham game and Savage was much, much better than Rice. Just about best on ground. Savage is therefore first in the queue to come in for anyone IMO. Then Acres. I have absolutely no idea why Longer should be dropped.

- Jonathan Swift
freely
SS Hall of Fame

If Steven's out, i can't imagine TPTB dropping Weller at the same time (though he's horribly out of form)
If Gilbo's out, probably Savage in.
So:
Out: Steven (susp), Gilbo (concussion), Lonie
In: Acres, Savage, Long

Hopefully Roo lifts for Maddy!

StPeter
Club Player

After watching the replay of the the Sandringham game, I think that Savage (37 disposals and 2 excellent goals) and Hickey (52 hitouts and 21 disposals) should be the players to come in.

I would also bring back Acres.

Outs should be Weller, Lonie and Longer.

Regretfully unlikely to happen.

realdeal
Club Player

Richmond only have Jack Riewoldt as a tall fwd.. we have probably the most in form key backs in the comp but who do they play on? Richmond have a smal, young and fast fwd line so how do we match up on them?

Do we leave out Longer (finally) and try Carlisle in the ruck or does Roo have a rest and we have the ability to roatate Carlisle fwd or back as required..

Who plays on their small fwds? Geary, Webster....? Savage, rice? Or do we just back our system?

carn_sainter
Club Player

Should Steven tag someone this week? Maybe cotchin?

I reckon he just needs a break mentally from being harrassed for 120 minutes. Give him something to else easy to focus on. He isn't giving us drive at the moment so we won't be losing much. I reckon it could work a treat

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: ... does Roo have a rest
So - Roo misses Maddies Vision Game - about the same odds as Hell freezing over.

Not going to happen - if Roo is any chance of playing he will be there!!!!

And breaking the record for the number of marks on his Sisters gameday!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
philtee
Club Player

CHB : J Carlisle
CHF : J Carlisle
FF : J Carlisle