Changes v Tigers

Re: Changes v Tigers

philtee wrote:CHB : J Carlisle
CHF : J Carlisle
FF : J Carlisle
2nd Ruck J.Carlisle

meher baba wrote:
older saint wrote:Richmond have a 1 big forward line with mediums and smalls.

Brown on Riewoldt and Carlisle the lose or when ruckman floats forward.

Out : Gilbert (conc), Mav. Longer

In: Rice, Acres, Hickey

If Steven goes then probably add savage or McKenzie .

Longer just gives us nothing around the ground but better presence at stoppages. When you watch and are surprised when your ruckman marks the ball it is a concern. Both he and Hickey are young in Ruck terms so will get better however both seem to run out of form after 5-6 games.
Rice is in because...? I watched most of the Sandringham game and Savage was much, much better than Rice. Just about best on ground. Savage is therefore first in the queue to come in for anyone IMO. Then Acres. I have absolutely no idea why Longer should be dropped.

Rice because I personally think Savage has had many goes and isn't going to be in our best 22 in 12 months time. Too good for VFL but not consistent enough for AFL. Rice has been close a few tijmes, and while not great on weekend (didn't see game) was next off the rank as defenders go when Carlise was doubtful.

Longer averages less than 8.5 disposals and 1.6 marks per game. As mentioned better around clearances after the ball up its like playing 17 on 18 at times , Hickey better around the ground.
JMO

Longer was okay in the first half, took some nice marks, but was probably beaten in the second half by a 19 year old. I think the has come for Hickey to get a recall. Hasn't been setting the VFL on fire admittedly, but reportedly had a good game on Sunday.

I actually thought Lonie was okay. He isn't hitting the scoreboard, but he's finding the footy, applying pressure and competing strongly. I'd like him to keep his spot.

Dunstan just doesn't find enough of the footy. His highest possession count in the last three rounds is 20 (against the Suns). I know that's not the sole stat you'd use in assessing his overall output, but I just don't think he's AFL standard at the moment. I also don't think we can have Ross, Acres, Dunstan and Steele in a the same midfield. It's just makes us too slow and one dimensional. I would Acres in for Dunstan.

SMS

Out: Steven (Susp) Reiwoldt (Cooked, but will play cause he owns the club and has a charity day what BS) Gilbert (concussion)
Weller (slow and s***). Longer (embarrassing)

Ins: Freeman (its time the future we need steven replacement) McCartin (lets go) McKenzie (gun hbf for gilbert)
Wright (replaces weler, earned it) Hickey (unless hes already gone end of year)

THOSE CHANGES SHOULD HAPPEN BUT THEY WONT. Reiwoldt will stay in hobbling around we'll have weller doing the same. Meanwhile future guns like mccartin stay in VFL getting lissed off and will sign elsewhere and rightfully so.

SMS

PS LONIE WAS GOOD. WTF is wrong with people?? Lonie is a future gun. Let him play ffs.

McKenzie will come in for Jilber.

Where are they coming from, the people who are dropping longer? 48 hit outs, 8 possessions, 4 marks and tackles, against what were Hickeys stats in the VFL?
Billy had Sandilands as his opponent for half the first quarter.

SMS wrote:PS LONIE WAS GOOD. WTF is wrong with people?? Lonie is a future gun. Let him play ffs.
I can't see this - I want to see it, but I can't! I thought he was woeful this week. He seems to pop up in the right places but his tackles don't stick, his decision-making's poor and/or slow and he can't seem to nail a shot. That said, I honestly hope you're right. As others have pointed out - it took a while for Milney to hit his straps. If we keep the faith with this kid, maybe he'll come good.

I reckon Gilbert Grape will be good for the game against Richmond.

Maverick looks due for a spell at Sandy. He really struggled yesterday and hasn't really been up to snuff for the whole season.

Someone said Lonie is likely to be dropped, but I thought he was quite lively yesterday. With Minchington now injured, his spot may be safe.

Sainternist wrote:I reckon Gilbert Grape will be good for the game against Richmond.

Maverick looks due for a spell at Sandy. He really struggled yesterday and hasn't really been up to snuff for the whole season.

Someone said Lonie is likely to be dropped, but I thought he was quite lively yesterday. With Minchington now injured, his spot may be safe.
With Jimmy copping two weeks - I hope Gilbo is good for Maddies Match!

Out: Webster (Susp), Weller (form), Longer (rest)
In: Mackenzie, acres, hickey

Saint wagga wrote:Out: Webster (Susp), Weller (form), Longer (rest)
Bring in Holmes. He played against Tigers last year. Hickey not getting mentioned in any Zebs reports.
Weller dropped back to Gilbo's spot, and didn't seem to do so well.
If he can't play a role that the coach thinks he can do well at, well then...

Possible Outs: Webster, Weller, Longer, Gilbert
Possible Ins: Savage, Freeman, Hickey, Rice

Webster for Savage is a no brainer.

Weller for Freeman only if it fits the longer strategy.

Dunstan lucky.

Shouldn't blood both Freeman and Rice together.

Rice or McKenzie to replace Gilbert.

No more than 2 changes.

WellardSaint wrote:
Bring in Holmes. He played against Tigers last year. Hickey not getting mentioned in any Zebs reports.
You obviously didn't see the Zebras webcast. Hickey was one of the best. That said, I still can't see an overwhelmingly convincing case for Longer to be dropped. As I have posted before, both Hickey and Longer aren't good enough IMO, for different reasons (in short, Hickey is quite a good footballer but isn't much of a ruckman, while Longer is a barely adequate ruckman and a garbage footballer).

But Longer has been part of a good clearance outfit, and I think it would be a serious mistake to muck around with that set up in a big game.

Otiman wrote: Webster for Savage is a no brainer.
It would be if we were selecting on the basis of form and known ability: which I hope the club will do.

For many SS posters, selection seems to be based largely on the proposition "We haven't seen Joe Bloggs in the first team yet/for a while, so let's give them a go: perhaps they're no good, but they aren't going to get any better playing VFL."

It's almost an affirmative action approach.

meher baba wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
You obviously didn't see the Zebras webcast. Hickey was one of the best. That said, I still can't see an overwhelmingly convincing case for Longer to be dropped. As I have posted before, both Hickey and Longer aren't good enough IMO, for different reasons (in short, Hickey is quite a good footballer but isn't much of a ruckman, while Longer is a barely adequate ruckman and a garbage footballer).

But Longer has been part of a good clearance outfit, and I think it would be a serious mistake to muck around with that set up in a big game.
Bingo
I have not seen the Zebs webcast, I only go off what folks say on here, the folks who attend games.
But i agree with you, don't drop Longer as he is helping us in clearances- that very last throw-in, Seb knew where to stand and received the tap in between 2 cry-babies.
Our guys can read Billy well, it seems

Darcy got the tap out, out the back from the last stoppage and it was lucky Ross just happened to be standing there.

borderbarry wrote:Where are they coming from, the people who are dropping longer? 48 hit outs, 8 possessions, 4 marks and tackles, against what were Hickeys stats in the VFL?
Billy had Sandilands as his opponent for half the first quarter.
48 hitouts 29% to advantage. What's the point if over two thirds are not to advantage?

Totally agree. Think particularly against Nankervis Hickey would be a good match up. Macca in for Webster and Blacres for seriously out of form Weller.

Outs / Ins
Webster (suspended) / McKenzie or Wright
Brown (Richmond only have one tall which Carlisle or Gilbert can take & many med/smalls) / Rice or Wright
Wellar (not doing anywhere near enough) / Savage to play forward & can rotate thru the midfield (plenty of possessions in the VFL)

Like to see
Longer out & Hickey in
8cres in somewhere there (maybe for Lonie or Wellar with Savage in for Lonie).

Out: Webster , Weller
In: Savage, Rice

What I would like to see is Freeman in.

carn_sainter wrote:I agree that Freeman should play the year out in the VFL. Huge step up to the AFL.

We don't have heaps of options for players to bring in, unfortunately.

I think Acres and Hickey are in the best 22 and would like to see them in.

Savage. McKenzie, Rice, Holmes, Long, McCartin, Pierce, Wright...none of these guys would make any real impact for us.

Weller is in poor form, but I think he's a better bet than anyone who could come in to replace him. Unless we play Acres in his role, which would be an improvement, I reckon. That competition for spots that we all thought was there early in the year and preseason evidently isn't there at the moment.

Richmond look pretty good. I haven't watched them play this year...can anyone bring me up to speed? The look fast, skilled, good experience and leadership. Are they the real deal?
No they are Richmond.

Tigers are up and about,

Tigers have a number of runners and quick players.

They also have a number of ball winners.

Nankervis can win a bit of his one ball and is not that flash HO wise and so I would bring Hickey back. While Longer did more around the ground against Free he was still poor and all this against second gamer mainly.

So play Hickey so that for 90% of the game we are 18 v 18 and not 17 v 18.

Jimmy is a real loss. DMak is the theoretical replacement but his form is poor. Don't let him being listed as the best Sandy player last game fool you. He was no where near that. Rice is a strong possibility.

I think that Dunstan needs to go out due :
- lack of disposals
- lack of pace
- lack of a tank still. (If he wants to make it as an AFL player he should really work on his tank above all else this summer)

Wellers poor ball use continues and he probably also needs to be rested. So out this week.

Club probably will not do it, but I would bring Freeman in.

OUT: Webster, Dunstan, Weller, Longer
IN: Rice, Savage, Freeman, Hickey

PS: Lonie survives as 5 changes is probably too many. Paddy?

Webster out (managed by AFL)
Weller out (managed)
Dunstan out (managed)

Rice in
Savage in
Battle in

Paddy (diabetes unmanaged)