Changes v Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Tigers

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Brunswicksainter wrote:There has never been a worse player than billy longer to pull on the red, black and white.
David Windbanks and Michael Frost say hi
Stephen Pirrie is offended. He thought the title was his.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Milne
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Brunswicksainter wrote:There has never been a worse player than billy longer to pull on the red, black and white.
David Windbanks and Michael Frost say hi
Stephen Pirrie is offended. He thought the title was his.
I don't see Longer getting delisted mid-season like Capuano was.

Saintly66
Club Player

IN: S. Savage, D. McKenzie, B. Long
OUT: M. Weller, (omitted), J. Webster (suspension), L. Dunstan (omitted)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I like the changes, but think Acres should be playing instead of Long.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Longs inclusion isn't good news for nate wright, mind you, if long is as ineffectual as his first stint in the side, neither will be best 22 players. Don't like his selection because he's done not much at Sandi, so where is selection integrity? The other changes I'm ok with. Hopefully Blake hickey and Lukey Dunstan pile on the pressure from the twos

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:The problem I see is that Richmond only have one tall forward in roo2 and then medium/smalls in the forward line. Carlisle is a bit slow but is a big unit and can take roo2 but there really is no one for Brown to play on.

I reckon the horses for courses line should come in this week and Brown is omitted for team balance reasons and can come straight back in next week against the convicted's. The horses for courses should also apply to Longer/Hickey as tony74 said before the start of the season but never eventuated.
Brown is too large and too slow to play on any Tiger, so he is wasted. If Gilbo can't make it, we need someone about 192 cm with a lot of closing speed.
Do they get Blake to play as a defender? Was it the Suns game where he only got 8 touches, did he play down back?
That may have been AR trying him out for the Tigers game?
Brown is quite quick.

Runs in straight lines a bit though.

I would have thought he'd match up really well on Jack Reiwoldt.
An awful lot of watchers underrate Brown's quickness, JM. I've always rated that facet, because in Roo's prime he was one of the few with sufficient closing speed to make life hard for Roo after he'd run opponents ragged - 2010 being a prime example. And, Brown hasn't missed a beat with us, and has done his job week after week.

He gets Jack the Cuz, sans hesitation.

Hardwickery was on idiot boxes this eve talking 'mosquito fleets' (as well as 'Jakey? Tyrone? Great fellas, never saw a thing wrong').

I note some folks talking about room for just one of Brown and Big Jake. That's nonsense - if we do this right, we'll plonk Big Jake at CHB to start with, and tell him to do what he thinks best, as situations unfold. From there it's just a matter of team organisation to ensure cover, when Big Jake uses his noggin to go to spots where he can a) interrupt best, and b) hit the scoreboard.

And, Big Jake's noggin goes OK, meaning he knows where to go to HURT oppositions.

The Tigs have no-one to cope with a roaming Big Jake.

And, the team changes, with a basic quickening up, offer support for such a plan - if we get the ORGANISATION right.

For one of the few times this year, I like the change in emphasis displayed at the selection table. It's actually something of an admission - if you noted Richo post game last week, he was still on the Mav pump - 'We had to put him him back when Gilbo went down, and....yada, yada, yada, 'did well'. Absolute tosh.

We had to quicken up, and we had to include some blokes who aren't one directional, and cannot turn.

I've been a 'fan' of McKenzie's from day dot. Yeah, sure, he lacks some polish - how many games has he played?! He's quick, crazy brave, and a good athlete (e.g. he can compete in the air off a very good leap for his size). We desperately need players who will run at speed and take some risks. Who gives a rat's freckle if his disposal isn't pristine at VFL level - those games are 'messy'. McKenzie is one who can prosper in less 'messy' environments, because he breaks games up - if we are ORGANISED.

Long offers a bit of X factor, which again we could do with. Having a cabal of similar types in the midfield does not a top side make.

I'm just heartened by the fact we're doing something a bit different, and the side we're playing Satdee night demanded we do so, because they have differentiated themselves rather well from the popular theme - it's why they're currently Top 4.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Richo is trying everything to get actual goal kickers working in the team, not a bunch of point kickers, inaccuracy being one of the things that has cost us a couple of possible victories. Long is a goal sneak and could easily come on and slot a couple, as can Savage, and I reckon you will see Savage forward of centre

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Good points ToT. I remember when we used to play the Dogs back when they had Brad Johnson as their key forward. Fisher and Dempster used to have a field day picking off the long kicks into the forward 50. I'd love to see Jake doing something similar on Saturday.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
repta
Club Player

No rants ... people Savage is back .....

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

ToT raises some quite valid points, well thought out,
as he always does.

But.... I have to disagree with the Quick Brown Fox jumping over the lazy Tiger (not dog, this weekend)
NJB did a fine job on Rooey in the 2010 GF
because Turncoat Max Hudghton had defected across the Iron Curtain
and disclosed all the secrets of Rooey's running patterns and exactly how to negate the blonde running machine.
That was 7 years ago. 7 years is a long time in football.

In cycling, an elite cyclist reaches their prime in their late 20's, that's when they win the Classics, the Grand Tours, etc
but footy is an entirely different caper.
He may not be as quick now, 82 months later.

The remainder of ToT's musings have me nodding in agreement.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
minneapolis
Club Player

Oooohhhhh.

What about David Frost? Or the big guy that won the running up the mountain carrying his girlfriend Iron Man? What was his name?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:ToT raises some quite valid points, well thought out,
as he always does.

But.... I have to disagree with the Quick Brown Fox jumping over the lazy Tiger (not dog, this weekend)
NJB did a fine job on Rooey in the 2010 GF
because Turncoat Max Hudghton had defected across the Iron Curtain
and disclosed all the secrets of Rooey's running patterns and exactly how to negate the blonde running machine.
That was 7 years ago. 7 years is a long time in football.

In cycling, an elite cyclist reaches their prime in their late 20's, that's when they win the Classics, the Grand Tours, etc
but footy is an entirely different caper.
He may not be as quick now, 82 months later.

The remainder of ToT's musings have me nodding in agreement.
I beg to differ....I was gunna go with 'lard', but that's a bit too cute...Wellard. The great Maxie might have provided advice, but Brown still had to execute.

On the matter of age, Brown is now roughly the age Roo was in 2010, give or take. Jack the Cuz is no exception on the turn, and I reckon Brown is well suited to deal with him, and they only have one key forward.

I mentioned yesdee I was 'heartened' by the tone of the changes we'd made (e.g. quickening up). The last time I was 'heartened' was going into, and during, the GWS game. I ain't be heartened since the GWS game, and we have played rubbish football since.

But, I reckon we can beat the Top 4 Tiggs tomorrow night, and all things being equal in effort from the 2 sides, I reckon it will come down to a Jack and a Jake.

Billings and Carlisle will decide the game because, if the rest of our mob make honest contributions, I can't see who the Tiggs have to deal with Jack and Jake.

And, now I'm off to have a squizz at Vladvision (i.e. RT) to see how things are getting on at the G20 in Hamburg. Donald J. Trump vs Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin?

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

One is an intelligent man who speaks 3 languages, has a degree in international law, has revived a country destroyed in the '90's by 'Shock Therapy', has studied "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu, and has a fella named Xi as Russia's new bestie.

The other 'one' is Donald J.Trump, and he owns hotels.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:

Oooohhhhh.

What about David Frost? Or the big guy that won the running up the mountain carrying his girlfriend Iron Man? What was his name?
Michael Frost?

Rix Rocks Rux?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vlad is also a blackbelt in Judo. Read Dostoevsky.. disciplined fella.

Trump likes money

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

David Frost. A clever interviewer, but lousy at footy.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:David Frost. A clever interviewer, but lousy at footy.
When he interviewed Nixon, was that Choo Choo man, Ricky Nixon, his manager?

It was a long long time ago. A lot of Water under the Gate umm bridge since then.

The St Kilda board weren't happy, eh?
"All the President's Men" - good title for a movie :shock: :roll: :lol:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:

Oooohhhhh.

Greg Dax was the "King of the Mountain" four years running. It involved running up the smallest officially designated mountain in Victoria, Mt. Whycheproof, which measures around 643 metres in height, carrying a sack of wheat on your back. He played in our reserves but never made it to the seniors. He was a massive unit. He could play a bit but had the mobility of the mountain he regularly conquered.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
minneapolis
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
minneapolis wrote:

Oooohhhhh.

Greg Dax was the "King of the Mountain" four years running. It involved running up the smallest officially designated mountain in Victoria, Mt. Whycheproof, which measures around 643 metres in height, carrying a sack of wheat on your back. He played in our reserves but never made it to the seniors. He was a massive unit. He could play a bit but had the mobility of the mountain he regularly conquered.
Sorry David, I was wrong. Michael not-so-much.

My favorite David Frost joke:

Here we stand in the middle of the English Channel, to witness an outstanding feat of Anglo-French co-operation, by openning the joining of this English tunnel with this French bridge.

And yes the whole of St Kilda had to suffer in their Dax.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Longs inclusion isn't good news for nate wright, mind you, if long is as ineffectual as his first stint in the side, neither will be best 22 players. Don't like his selection because he's done not much at Sandi, so where is selection integrity? The other changes I'm ok with. Hopefully Blake hickey and Lukey Dunstan pile on the pressure from the twos
long is 19
nate wright 23.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Leave Bruce in the forward line and give him the job on Rance. Trust in the Juice!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
minneapolis wrote:

Oooohhhhh.

Sorry David, I was wrong. Michael not-so-much.

My favorite David Frost joke:

Here we stand in the middle of the English Channel, to witness an outstanding feat of Anglo-French co-operation, by opening the joining of this English tunnel with this French bridge.

And yes the whole of St Kilda had to suffer in their Dax.
the joke is lost on me
Far too obtuse

care to explain it? perhaps it should be "this French tunnel" because the tunnel goes under the Channel, and its not a bridge at all