Is Roo done?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Is Roo done?

I've been watching him closely since he came back. He's not getting separation against defenders he used to maul in a heart beat. He's not jumping confidently for marks, and he didn't look taking a contested mark today. He's smart enough to accumulate possessions but very few are now hurting the opposition. Roo is my all time favourite Saint. He may not have the incredible toughness of Lenny or the amazing humility of Banger, but he's played the hardest position on the ground for 16 years and been a superstar almost every year. His consistency is only matched by Harves, his courage only matched by Lenny. His athleticism matched by no one. I sadly believe he's lost that athleticism which means he's lost that edge that separates him from mere mortals. I find it hard to watch.

Milne
Club Player

Re: Is Roo done?

No he's not done, but certainly not back at 100% yet.

Trixilver
Club Player

His best is, for sure, behind him. But I doubt he's done just yet. Last week took some great contested marks and has had an average output this season, with one of the best games of his career at the end of last.

Nothing lasts forever. I'm loving watching him winning games again though.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I loved how he deceived the umpire in getting Membrey a 50m penalty and a certain goal. He's a clever boy, our Rooey.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Wombat15
Club Player

Considering what we all saw from Josh Battle today we have a sound replacement. Membrey, Bruce, Battle Paddy forward line is something to be scared of for the future.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:Considering what we all saw from Josh Battle today we have a sound replacement. Membrey, Bruce, Battle Paddy forward line is something to be scared of for the future.
Not convinced anyone will be scared of Paddy.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Yes.

They always say you don't want to keep going if you're keeping a kid out, that's what's happening. We invested pick 1 for a forward, he needs to be given a proper run at it and not played in a top heavy forward line

Bring back the Lockett era
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wombat15 wrote:Considering what we all saw from Josh Battle today we have a sound replacement. Membrey, Bruce, Battle Paddy forward line is something to be scared of for the future.
Then you'd be wrong.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 84a59410e6

NICK Riewoldt left footy fans unimpressed with a sneaky tactic that gifted St Kilda a 50m penalty and crucial final-quarter goal in its narrow win over Fremantle.

The Saints were trailling by four points deep in the last quarter when Saints forward Tim Membrey outjumped two Dockers defenders to mark directly in front of goal.

Freo youngster Griffin Logue picked up the ball and threw it to Riewoldt, who was calling for it as Membrey had his back turned and walking back from the mark.

Riewoldt stepped away from the ball and appealed for the 50m penalty, which the umpire awarded.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I didn't have the courage to post it. Rooney is still in our best 18, but the end is nigh. I hope he gets to go on his terms.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

he is done when he says he is done. the man is a professional and wouldn't stick around if he thought he didn't add to the side.

St Lenny
Club Player

So Roo got away with one, personally for a player of his calibre, I think the umpires owed him at least one. Is he done, would have to see him play a few more games. Certainly not up to his standard, but we are a better side when he is on the ground, no doubt about that.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How many maeks does he need now? I know he did not take many today.

George27
Club Player

Is he done ? No. Still a strong contributor to our team. Looking forward to him having a great game next Saturday night for Maddie's Match.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:How many maeks does he need now? I know he did not take many today.
He took 3 today, without looking at the stats (all uncontested chest marks) He has 6 to go. It appears to me that his knee isn't right. He appears to have lost stability in it, hence an inability to hold his ground in marking contests and jump confidently, or even accelerate away from his opponent.

Personally I would rather see him take the rest of the year off and see whether he can come back next year. I want him to be remembered as our greatest ever Saint, not as a bloke who played 1 year too many. If he can get his knee right then I'm confident that he adds something. But when I see good/average defenders like Hamling look like Alex Rance (who he will probably have next week) then I get frustrated.

Wombat15
Club Player

was it the incident with ballantyne? the 2-1 marking contest on the flank?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The end is nigh, hard for them to let go when it's been what they've done for their whole life.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
philtee
Club Player

There's a hard decision looming. Knee must be giving him plenty of grief.

He took a knock early in game against GC, and faded thereafter - no second efforts, no leap, which
is so un-Riewoldt-like. Yes, he still kicked three goals.
Seemed to be a shadow of himself in Freo game.

Announcement after Maddie's Match, perhaps?
Or three weeks off?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:was it the incident with ballantyne? the 2-1 marking contest on the flank?
This - no-one has mentioned it - Roo grabbed his knee the second he landed after receiving Ballantyne's stops into his knee

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:There's a hard decision looming. Knee must be giving him plenty of grief.

He took a knock early in game against GC, and faded thereafter - no second efforts, no leap, which
is so un-Riewoldt-like. Yes, he still kicked three goals.
Seemed to be a shadow of himself in Freo game.

Announcement after Maddie's Match, perhaps?
Or three weeks off?
Yep, he needs to make the call. He is keeping McCartin out.
So does Montagna

Bring back the Lockett era
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think we need to permanently move on from Roo being a key forward. We need Membrey, Bruce & Paddy to be our 3 tall forwards, and Battle and Marshall become our depth.

Then the discussion becomes "can Roo hold a spot in the 22 as a mid?" If his knee isn't up to it, then he needs to put his hand up. I'm happy to have guys like Steele, Stevens, Dunstan, Acres, Sinclair, Savage, Weller etc rotatating in and out of the midfield brigade to keep Roo in the side, but only if Roo is right to go.

I think I'd be happy to give him a contract for next year and maybe pull the pin on 2017. Let him start proper rehab early for 2018 and get his knee right for one last crack. The conditions of the new deal would be low salary, full preseason at the club (ie. not in Texas till christmas etc.), full mentoring of Paddy, Marshall, Battle, and an understanding that he would not play every game next season.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Roo has served the club, better than most, he deserves the respect of all of us, as I said earlier he would be the first to put his hand up and drop himself if he thought he wasn't contributing 100% ,that is the calibre of the man.. the calls for some on here to move him on beggar belief and makes we wonder what sort of supporters you are..
He is still one of our best players who all of a sudden has a quiet game and the knives come out, the argument he is holding out others is rubbish, you play your best especially when you have finals in sight. If the youngsters want to take Roos spot, make them earn it on merit.

In the meantime get off his back and marvel at a true champion ply his trade , enjoy
instead of trying to oust him.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I think Roo deserves people waiting to see if his knee comes good by seasons end before people right him off

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Roo has served the club, better than most, he deserves the respect of all of us, as I said earlier he would be the first to put his hand up and drop himself if he thought he wasn't contributing 100% ,that is the calibre of the man.. the calls for some on here to move him on beggar belief and makes we wonder what sort of supporters you are..
He is still one of our best players who all of a sudden has a quiet game and the knives come out, the argument he is holding out others is rubbish, you play your best especially when you have finals in sight. If the youngsters want to take Roos spot, make them earn it on merit.

In the meantime get off his back and marvel at a true champion ply his trade , enjoy
instead of trying to oust him.
Had Paddy come on a bit more than he has it would be easier to farewell the great man.

But he hasn't, and we are stuffed without Roo.

But time is nigh and playing through to the end of 2018 looks tricky. Maybe this Battle bloke will fill the void. Paddy certainly won't/can't.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
VFL players will be scared of Paddy.

But Marshall, Bruce, Battle & Membrey could be real scary in the AFL.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.