We're still going ok

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: We're still going ok

Take it in context ie from where we have come from. 2 years ago we were just about bottom, last year we were better and this year we are better again (2 more wins from the corresponding time). We aint going to win the premiership but it's all about improving. I really don't understand the negativity!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+1

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
yipper
SS Life Member

blind freddy can see that we are going ok. We always knew this year was a tougher draw, combined with the fact ALL teams now do their homework on us - and yet, we are better placed than at same time last season!! Real finals chances!!
Added to that the continued improvement / development of: Carlyle, Gresham, Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Steele, Freeman (now starring at VFL level), Billings, Newmes, Roberton, Longer, Webster, Sinclair maybe one or two others. Some players are still a bit up and down in form - some have appeared to slipped back a bit (weller??) - all in all - richo is doing exactly as I expected him to do. continued to grow this team into a good football team.

Next year is still the target season where I expect big things - but this year has been a solid season - and still we could be doing better - that is a good thing I would have thought!!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
jaxons wrote:We do lots right but our ball use and decision making is the worse in the competition.
Currently our ball use and decision making allows us to have around 30 shots on goal

More specifically we are averaging close to 27 shots on goal per match this season which places us 4th - this does not included oof stats

If our ball use and decision making is the worst in the league then watch out once we get it right
The way I look at it the decisions re our strategies is im the main fine and allows the high shot on goal rate for example. Though we do roost it to forward line too ofyen.

However it is those quick decisipns that need to be made well that we are lacking. Ie Sinclair stands out because he does this so well.

However how often to we see that quick decision to handball to a team mate when he is covered.

Or that 40/ 50 kick to team mate with 2 to beat whe n he has another yeam maye 30m by himself.

Now Richo has probably told the players to lick long when they can. But you also have to play the percentages. Kicking to a 2 on one is likely to cause a turnover
Kicking to a team mate in the clear keeps control of the ball even if it a shorter kick.

I think the other aspect with decision making is the coaches. Richo is always quite slow to make changes. Ie when Walters was running riot, or against the Dees when their midfield got on top.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Good level-headed post, MB.

It's not like we're carrying much deadwood in the team. I think we only lack an elite midfielder and some tweaking to our forward line before becoming a very good team.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!