Here is my line up for this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkmo
Club Player

Here is my line up for this week

IN:
Hickey
McCartin
Steele

OUT:
Longer
Acres
Weller

Hickey in as he will provide more options around the ground. Not in the best form but could thrive on the bigger ground. Give Longer a rest for a week or two and let him know he'll be back in the team soon.

McCartin back in if fit. I feel as though it won't happen but a boy can dream. I would chuck him high CH forward in the old J. Brown role. Give him space, let him roam around and get a few easy possies lace out from Sinclair and Billings which should help with confidence.

Acres is my favourite player but don't feel like he'll survive selection this week. Shame as I think the ground would suit him. Not to mention having his family at the game.

Weller OUT. Need's to be done.

Bruce and Members to play fairly high up and somewhat around the flanks. I feel as though we seem to struggle a fair bit with bail out options from kick ins and this could help as we could get them to push up and provide some options. They are both fit enough thats for sure. Would also drag 2x tall defends from the F50.

I would chuck Riewoldt deep in the square and have the small forward pushed up a little closer to the flanks. Keep our forward line nice and decongested. This would also stop the midfielders bombing it straight in knowing theres a pretty high chance there will be an extra defender sitting in the hole. All the more reason to lower the eyes and hit up the small forwards.

I do have concerns about playing all of Dunstan, Steels and Stevens in the same side but Dunstan had a good game. Who else could be bring in?

thoughts?

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Here is my line up for this week

stkmo
Club Player

shrodes wrote:McCartin has been ruled out

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-26/s ... d-mccartin
Well there goes that :oops:

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Shame about Paddy, and it's a pity Acres probably hasn't earnt a game.

Without Paddy, perhaps Acres gets a reprive, I kinda like the "X" factor he offers and would prefer him to Weller who's also way out of form. Just because Acres is from WA, he may just go well at his 'home" ground.

Unfortunately Longer just isn't offering anything around the ground, it's almost like we're a player short when he's on the ground.

An excellent line up, and better still if the forwards maintain some structure are stay in the forward line. Riewoldt deep, with Gresham crumbing may be very effective.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

If Acres is picked by AR
it would be shocking.
He got 6 kicks and 2 handballs, and 1 tackle.
Against a rubbish team like GC?
I don't care that his family are at the ground,
the boy doesn't deserve a plane ticket.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:If Acres is picked by AR
it would be shocking.
He got 6 kicks and 2 handballs, and 1 tackle.
Against a rubbish team like GC?
I don't care that his family are at the ground,
the boy doesn't deserve a plane ticket.
It would be good that one day 8cres actually starts on the ground so he can get into the game. I don't know a player that has started the majority of his matches on the bench.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
carn_sainter
Club Player

Need to play Acres this week.

We struggle terribly to move the ball from one end of Etihad to the other. Perth is a massive ground, we desperately need Acres' run and long kicking. He also has a good tank and runs out games well.

He has been down but we seriously need him this week. He could find quite a bit of it on the big ground and run himself back into form.

It's gonna be a tough game. Unless we are on top in the middle we're done for. Such a spacious ground so they will be able to find their forwards and we just won't be able to move it from D50 to F50 the way we play. Seriously need to keep a forward structure this week, have at least one player in our F50, otherwise we'll have nothing to kick to and won't be able to get the ball from one end to the other.

spert
Saintsational Legend

After watching the GC game, I got a feeling that AR was trying to get Acres to play a more defensive role, but if that's the case, he loses run and carry, one of our biggest weaknesses. Longer and Weller are just not doing enough, so I guess the option is Hickey who can at least take a mark and has better hand and foot skills, and maybe Savage.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: It would be good that one day 8cres actually starts on the ground so he can get into the game. I don't know a player that has started the majority of his matches on the bench.

It's hardly a resounding vote of confidence in the kid, is it. I reckon they should back him to be the player he can be and start him in the guts at the bounce with Steven, Ross and Dunstan.

But I expect he will be dropped.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Why would we make any changes
If we'd kicked straight last week we should have won by 10 goals.
I watched some of the sandi game . No body was a stand out for us .

In red white and black from 73
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not sure Weller can be afforded any more chances. He seems the only likely out for mine. Steele has to come back in.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be making changes unless someone was injured. Maybe Joey could be rested for Rice or Savage: but Joey usually plays well out west.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Steele for Acres. I love Blake but unfortunately he hasn't done enough to keep his spot.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Why would we need an additional in and under midfielder, who is a poor kick, on the wide open spaces out west against the pacy Dockers?

In my book, Acres gets another go. Likewise Mav. They'll be needed against the Dockers.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
carn_sainter
Club Player

I also agree that Hickey is needed this week. He is, and has been all season, in my mind a clearly better choice than Longer 100% of the time, but particularly on this ground.

We need 22 players that can kick the ball and cover the ground over there. I'd love to see Hickey back this week

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I realize this may sound ridiculous, but I would play Holmes in the ruck against Sandilands.
we lose nothing around the ground by replacing longer with Holmes and Holmes' best attribute is his leap, which will be needed at centre bounces to give a contest against Sandilands.
True Holmes is not great at marking/kicking but neither has Billy been this year.
Hickey is not tall enough and doesn't seem to have a high enough leap atm to compete with Sandilands.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I would hate to see Acres dropped for one poor game, he's been very good for most of the year… but it's a good chance going from Richo's history.

In contrast we have Mav as a lock who has been pretty ordinary for most of the year.

Think we need a change in the ruck.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:Steele for Acres. I love Blake but unfortunately he hasn't done enough to keep his spot.
Steele, Dunstan and Koby. That's a lot of inside grunt who don't provide a lot else. I hope they stick with Blake, but I fear you may be correct.

clintgrierson
Club Player

Mav Weller is most likely going to be dropped... a the game on the weekend, after three quarter time, He started on the bench. Richo pointed at him with a huge finger like "you better f**king do something or you are dropped next week" Mav then walked to the bench and hit himself hard on the hip ..head down.... like damn, i'm not playing next week.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I disagree with dropping Acres. He is only 38 games into his career and whilst not setting the world on fire in the past few weeks, last week was really his only failure. Keep faith in him for a few more weeks yet.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
stonecold
SS Life Member

IluvHarvey wrote:I disagree with dropping Acres. He is only 38 games into his career and whilst not setting the world on fire in the past few weeks, last week was really his only failure. Keep faith in him for a few more weeks yet.
Agree and disagree, give him one more week ONLY, if he has another bad game, then back to the Zebs to find some form!!!!!

In a professional environment, you carnt just say, 'have a few weeks' to have an impact!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:I disagree with dropping Acres. He is only 38 games into his career and whilst not setting the world on fire in the past few weeks, last week was really his only failure. Keep faith in him for a few more weeks yet.
Agree and disagree, give him one more week ONLY, if he has another bad game, then back to the Zebs to find some form!!!!!

In a professional environment, you carnt just say, 'have a few weeks' to have an impact!!!!!
Yet this is what we have done and continue to do with Longer.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We need to match Freo's speed - so Savage and Rice should come into calculation - you'd think (and hope).

Rice is as tough as they come and is a beautiful kick (and he's quite quick). Exactly what we need.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I realize this may sound ridiculous, but I would play Holmes in the ruck against Sandilands.
we lose nothing around the ground by replacing longer with Holmes and Holmes' best attribute is his leap, which will be needed at centre bounces to give a contest against Sandilands.
True Holmes is not great at marking/kicking but neither has Billy been this year.
Hickey is not tall enough and doesn't seem to have a high enough leap atm to compete with Sandilands.

At seasons start Holmes did not seem to be leaping like he did in previous years. I suspect some type of niggle or injury.

Has he regained that great leap more recently? I have not seen in action for a while now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

clintgrierson wrote:Mav Weller is most likely going to be dropped... a the game on the weekend, after three quarter time, He started on the bench. Richo pointed at him with a huge finger like "you better f**king do something or you are dropped next week" Mav then walked to the bench and hit himself hard on the hip ..head down.... like damn, i'm not playing next week.
They've only dropped one guy from the leadership group this year- Baroose
He and Mav have been the 2 leaders who haven't done well this year

Richo should make a statement to the team that nobody is a walk-up start to the best 22, leader or no leader
and drop Mav
(I was going to say noone is guaranteed to be in the seniors, but noone is playing in the Sandy Dev team :lol: )

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee