We're not well drilled

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

carn_sainter
Club Player

We're not well drilled

Let's be honest - we're not well drilled. We all acknowledge the serious problems of poor quality disposal and goal scoring. Most are really frustrated that we have no avenues to goal, really, and that we're far too quick to bomb it to a pack of 10 players. (As an aside, I would like to know how many goals we have scored from the sweet spot of 25-40m out, particularly from set shots. We would have to be last in the comp, no?)

Before people hate on this because we won and we need to appreciate every win and we're in the 8 (a moot point on our current form) and all of that, I was at the game and was tremendously underwhelmed. I've been to all the melbourne games this year, except for v North, so it's not like I was expecting a clinic out there. Even still, we were really disappointing.

As with all the games, it's not about whether we win or lose, or by how much, but how we play.

We looked really poorly drilled:
- We looked slow. In terms of foot speed but mentally too.
- 2 metre Peter spent incredible periods of the game in dangerous spots all on his own. I think this is mainly Carlisle being loose, but may be a Carlisle-Brown communication thing. Either way, a 2m tall goal kicking forward is not allowed to be on his own by a well drilled team
- Clearances - we were beat by a 2nds unit.
- Gold Coast goals in the first half from clearance and general play (crumbing and handballing) were due to incredibly poor set-up by us around the play, not defending the dangerous space.
- All the forwards lead to the same spot and then all jump at it. That's poorly drilled.
- Giving the ball by hand to someone in a bad position, under the pump, running in the wrong direction/on the wrong side. We did this a bit today. Poorly drilled.
- Kick-ins. We suck at bringing the ball in from a kick-in. It is so rare that we get an inside 50 from the same chain as the kick-in. This is poorly drilled.
- Kick-ins. We don't defend well when the opposition kicks the ball in, though this wasn't an issue today because Gold Coast turned it over, often unforced for us.
- The whole disorganised scramble of the ball forward, like players don't know where to lead or kick the ball to. A lot of our leads are poorly timed - too early.
- And the thing I hate most continues. We have the ball around half back and all the players are just standing still. The stationary set-up is so easy to defend - far too few work hard to make space and draw defenders, so we're stuck.

There is the importance of good disposal and good goal kicking which we still have desperate need for improvement in. How nice it is to see a chain of play with Seb Ross (our best user for mine), Jack Sinclair, Jack Billings (both close behind) all passing to one another. An amazing thing is that the fringe player, Jack Lonie, was one of only a handful hitting nice field kicks today. Actually hitting the leading player on the chest.

The goal kicking is a big problem. We're almost a parody at the moment. I wonder if the players have taken the inaccuracy on board as part of a Saints Man self-concept, like we can be 1 goal 4 or 12 goals 18 and it's fine, it's just what we do? Like it's happened so much now that it doesn't matter anymore...everyone else does it, I might as well miss too, it's no big deal. Gresham was such a lovely kick but after walking with the lame, he has developed a limp.

But at the same time, we're not really well drilled. Carlton are better drilled than us. When we played Brisbane this year, they were better drilled than us too.

Very frustrating to see the same problems since round 6 or 7 still so obvious. And even more frustrating, we just weren't enjoyable to watch today. The footy membership is a purchase you make outside of a value-for-money paradigm, but my word I nevertheless felt ripped off for a game like that.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: We're not well drilled

Agree + 1. Richo has had plenty of time to get the above basics right and they are poor. If the club/board extend Richo's contract this year before 2018 then they shouldnt be running the club.

carn_sainter
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:Agree + 1. Richo has had plenty of time to get the above basics right and they are poor. If the club/board extend Richo's contract this year before 2018 then they shouldnt be running the club.
I'm not calling for Richo's head or anything like that. He still has a lot of work to do, that's clear. I think he should coach to the end of next year as an absolute minimum, and if the club's original plan culminated around 2020, then until then. Some fresh eyes in the assistant roles might be useful.

But some of it comes down to on field leadership and a mindset of accountability and initiative in every player. Mentally, we play a lot like passengers too much...on psychological tram tracks, not willing to get out of a narrow comfort zone.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No we are not

saintkev
Club Player

Defensively, we're as fast as treacle flowing uphill and in attacking mode just as predictable. Is Gilbee the right fit as reserves coach? There appears to be no-one putting pressure on players in the firsts. Mediocrity isn't being challenged.