Play games at Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Play games at Moorabbin

How much better would the game have been today if played at a boutique Moorabbin? Could just be used a few times a year when we play interstate teams with little local support.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Play games at Moorabbin

Bowey Boy wrote:How much better would the game have been today if played at a boutique Moorabbin? Could just be used a few times a year when we play interstate teams with little local support.
Daniel Andrews only cares about pumping money into Kardinia Park.

Unless the state government helps the AFL won't bother and it will never happen.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

That ship sailed 20 years ago

In red white and black from 73
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Even though I love the sentiment, I think I exhaled on this idea years ago.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Will never happen. Wake up it's 2017!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's not even being designed to host games with an attendance.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's not even being designed to host games with an attendance.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

I am aware of the reality but it would make sense. Ethihad is awful with small crowds, and it is now paid off so we don't have to be punished by playing so as to pay it off.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
spert
Saintsational Legend

If the druggies are looking at having a boutique arena at Essendon airport, then we should look at having one at Moorabbin airport?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Yeah, great. Crap weather was perfect for those who have never let go of Moorabin.

Really appreciate being able to have a quiet pee in comfort at Etihad after being scarred for life as a 9 year old having the same at half time during the first ever match at Moorabbin. Queued for ages and then got inside to see everybody pissing on the brick walls and crushed bluestone "floor". Seems they ran out of time to install the actual urinals.

Yeah, 16,800 at Etihad yesterday. We could have pulled a crowd of at least 800 to Moorabbin. Yeah. No!

Saint supporter since '62
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Yeah, great. Crap weather was perfect for those who have never let go of Moorabin.

Really appreciate being able to have a quiet pee in comfort at Etihad after being scarred for life as a 9 year old having the same at half time during the first ever match at Moorabbin. Queued for ages and then got inside to see everybody pissing on the brick walls and crushed bluestone "floor". Seems they ran out of time to install the actual urinals.

Yeah, 16,800 at Etihad yesterday. We could have pulled a crowd of at least 800 to Moorabbin. Yeah. No!
Gee whiz, you've gone soft in your old age!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Yeah, great. Crap weather was perfect for those who have never let go of Moorabin.

There were plenty of Grandstand seats at Moorabbin. Footy back then wasn't for little kids

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

One can only dream.
Better chance at tatts though. Buy a ticket.

70s sainter
Club Player

A 35 thousand seat boutique outdoor stadium would be perfect for saints, north, dees, blues games against freo, west coast, Gold Coast, bris, gws, port and Adelaide. That works out to up to two games a week at the venue- perfect . The atmosphere would be ten times better

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Much as I like the sentiment of a return to Moorabbin. It just is not practical to have AFL games staged there. As for the red herring from SP regarding Kardinia Park, well it's WAY more viable as a venue than Moorabbin will EVER be, hence the willingness of (SUCCESSIVE) State Governments to help fund it. There's about as much chance of us ever seeing an AFL-standard "boutique stadium" being a reality at Moorabbin as there is of Plugger making a comeback with the Saints!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

[quote="70s sainter"]A 35 thousand seat boutique outdoor stadium would be perfect for saints, north, dees, blues games against freo, west coast, Gold Coast, bris, gws, port and Adelaide. That works out to up to two games a week at the venue- perfect . The atmosphere would be ten times better[/quote]

The AFL would be more prepared to invest in somewhere like Visy Schitthole ( Princes Park ) or Whitten Oval than to start from scratch at Moorabbin.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
70s sainter
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
70s sainter wrote:A 35 thousand seat boutique outdoor stadium would be perfect for saints, north, dees, blues games against freo, west coast, Gold Coast, bris, gws, port and Adelaide. That works out to up to two games a week at the venue- perfect . The atmosphere would be ten times better
The AFL would be more prepared to invest in somewhere like Visy Schitthole ( Princes Park ) or Whitten Oval than to start from scratch at Moorabbin.
I certainly didn't mean Moorabbin as know that will never happen but in the city somewhere would be ideal as I believe the smaller teams are getting a poor game day experience . A smaller venue in the city would make it so much more enjoyable.